Healthy cookbook recommendation

LeanneM

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I love new healthy-eating cookbooks and know some of you do, too, so I wanted to recommend one that I've been using the last few weeks.

In a recent issue of _Vegetarian Times_, there was an article profiling some recipes from Elizabeth Yarnell's Dutch oven cookbook _Glorious One-Pot Meals_. I picked up the book a few weeks ago, along with a Dutch oven, and I just wanted to say how great the recipes are!

The recipes are all very healthy and "clean," and taste delicious. I think that the worst ingredient in a few of the recipes is cheese, which is really not too bad in the way of ingredients. She basically starts each recipe with a base layer, and then tosses in lots of fresh veggies and spices/herbs. The amazing thing is that you can toss it all into the Dutch oven (even uncooked whole wheat pasta), and it all cooks into distinct flavors and layers (unlike a crock pot, where everything sort of mushes together).

There is a wonderful mix, too, of vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes, and the prep and clean-up are really easy since you don't need to pre-cook anything and just toss it all in the Dutch oven.

I ended up ordering an inexpensive Lodge 6-quart Dutch oven from Amazon for just under $50 since I didn't want to spend $120 on a Le Creuset one. The Lodge one works great, and I ended up ordering the larger size so I could double the recipes. (The recipes are all designed to make only two servings.)

If you're interesting in checking the cookbook out, the author has a great website with lots of info:

http://www.gloriouspotmeal.com/

Right now, I have a Greek eggplant recipe from it in the oven, and it smells DIVINE! Yum!

Leanne

I'd be interested in your opinion after you've tried a few recipes. I've seen a couple of demo clips and I didn't think the results looked too appetizing. I eat with my eyes and if the food doesn't look good chances are I won't even try it (I'm a notoriously fussy eater ;) ). I love to cook and I have an impressive collection of cookbooks, but I'm going to hold off on this one until I see some more reviews.

Hi all,

I've made about five or six recipes, and they've all turned out to be really delicious. Last week I made the mac and cheese (which actually also uses spinach and tomatoes and which is not too heavily loaded with cheese) and it was really tasty. My husband was expecting "real" mac and cheese, and still loved this healthier version. This week, the eggplant recipe also turned out great.

HTH!
Leanne

Hi all,

I've made about five or six recipes, and they've all turned out to be really delicious. Last week I made the mac and cheese (which actually also uses spinach and tomatoes and which is not too heavily loaded with cheese) and it was really tasty. My husband was expecting "real" mac and cheese, and still loved this healthier version. This week, the eggplant recipe also turned out great.

HTH!
Leanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.