Has anyone had liposuction?

L Sass

Cathlete
I know several of you have had breast work, but has anyone had liposuction? I do ALL of the right workout and diet stuff, and there are just some sections that drive me crazy and that I think will never be as I want them without some external help. I NEVER thought I would even consider it, because I've always firmly believed that with proper diet and exercise you could accomplish what you wanted. But lately I find myself starting to think that it just ain't so.

So has anyone had it? Would you advise it or against it? What were the recovery issues? I've heard the areas stay swollen for like 6 months - true or not true? How much did it cost? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Lorrie

I have never had it done and I strongly advise against it. Chances are that what spots that are driving you nuts are not even noticeable to anyone else. Perhaps a week or so of perfect eating and intense workout of your trouble spots might do the trick (I say this only because I don't know how vigorous your trainging to disciplined your eating is). Hope it helped! Merry Christmas to all!

I'm not exactly proud of it, but I have had both breast implants and liposuction. I had liposuction first, when I was in college (August 1999, IIRC). That was my first surgery of any kind, and it was kind of traumatic for me. I can't say I wouldn't do it again, but that was also a very rough period in my life emotionally when I had extremely low self-esteem. Also, I was not as devoted to working out at that time, although I did some advanced Tae-Bo tapes pretty often.

Anyway, I think I had seven small "insertion points" of the tube (forgot the technical terms). Three around the lower abdomen and the rest in various places along my torso and back. I was mostly interested in getting rid of my flabby belly and "bat wings," as my surgeon called them (the fat folds around/under the bra). My memory of the surgery is groggy, but I think it took over two hours while I was under general anesthesia, and the doctor said he removed 2 liters of fat (?!?!?). As for cost, I think it was somewhere around $3,000, but I'm very unsure about that. The recovery was okay, but it felt like it took forever to feel normal again. I had to wear a compression garment around my torso for weeks, and I remember feeling very disappointed when I took it off for the first time. My doctor said I would have swelling for a long time and should expect to see gradual improvement over the following months. When I finally could get rid of the compression garment forever, I still wanted to wear a girdle under my clothes because I was so self-conscious about the belly I still had (and the waistline "muffin top," as I've heard people call it).

I never felt like I achieved the results I wanted until at least a year or two later, after I became more devoted to working out, eating better, and to be honest, improving my own damaged self-perception. I still had another surgery in May 2002 (breast implants), but I felt much better about that one both before and after the surgery. It may have been because I felt my "need" for liposuction was caused by something disgusting and awful about myself, where as breast size is only determined by genetics.

Sorry for my lack of very specific details about the liposuction recovery. It really varies greatly based on what area and how extensive your liposuction would be. If it's just going to be taking a little from the inner thigh area, I bet it would be a piece of cake (ha ha). So, I don't have a strong recommendation one way or the other, but the most important lesson I learned was that I shouldn't have expected a miracle. I was trying to get rid of a lifetime of bad eating habits, mediocre exercise, and a slew of personal problems all in one surgery, which CANNOT be done.

I had it when I had my breast reduction. It was the best thing I ever did, but it is not for everyone.

I always had saddlebags. My thighs started rubbing at 16 when I weighed 120. Even when I was teenie tiny size 2, I had saddlebags.

I am about a size 6 to 8 now and 41 years old. I had it done 4 years ago. I don't look like a model, but my thighs are normal looking without big fat pockets on them. The recovery was very easy and I had zero complications. I rested for about 5 days and took it easy with no workouts for 6 weeks. I was able to walk around the block and have a pretty normal day about 10 days after the surgery.

I used to have to look at every pair of pants to see if the thighs would be big enough and often had the waist cinched to keep the waistband up while the legs would be cutting into my skin on any pants. Mostly I wore skirts and would have a rash from my thighs rubbing.

Now I can wear anything, anytime, anyplace. And when I wear panty hose, you don't hear my thighs rubbing as I come down the hall!

Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

Lorrie,

Don't do it!! The procedure is simple but the consequences could be grave. I tell you this as a nurse and someone with a friend in her early forties that suffered a severe stroke during the procedure. She will NEVER recover from it. If you were to ask her, she would definitely urge you not to do it. She can walk with a cane now but she is dependent upon her husband and children for many of her activities of daily living. Her face is twisted and distorted and she can barely speak. Trust me, it ain't worth it!

Michele

Lorrie,

I ditto everything Pellmel said.

I am 50 years old and I had two lipo surgeries. My first a year ago today in which I had my buttocks, hips, inner/outer thighs and knees done. I had the vaser technique which is a little less invasive. I was awake the whole time and really didn't have much pain. The first week after the surgery is the worst, of course. It wasn't so much the pain after the surgery(I only took Tylenol because I don't like pain meds) but it's that nasty girdle I had to wear for two weeks straight. I had a touch up last month on my knees because I wasn't quite satisfied. They healed in three weeks.

After my first surgery I started walking immediately for exercise as recommended. I began cardio and then implemented weights again after one month. After the second surgery, I was doing cardio after two weeks and weights after three. But, there is swelling that continues after a few months. Especially after exercise. But after about six months I didn't notice any.

My first surgery was $3800 and my second was $1500.

I am happy I did it. I expected "improvement", not "perfection" as my doctor promised me and that's what I got.

HTH

P.S. I announced that I was going to do this last year on the Cathe boards and everyone was kind and supportive. No one told me, "don't do it or you might die". I really appreciated that!

>
>P.S. I announced that I was going to do this last year on the
>Cathe boards and everyone was kind and supportive. No one
>told me, "don't do it or you might die". I really appreciated
>that!
>
>
I'm glad the procedure went well for you and Melissa and that you are satisfied with your results. Lorrie started this thread in order to seek out opinions so I felt free to give mine and I stand by it. Lorrie, or anyone for that matter, is free to heed my warnings or not. I think my friend with the stroke may rather have died (in fact, she has stated this many times)--she is but a shell of her former self. The threat of embolism is very real and the results can be swift, severe, and permanent...and deadly.

ETA I didn't realize that giving an honest opinion was tantamount to being unsupportive.

Just one more comment and then I'm through. Of what use is it if someone asks for opinions and everyone simply says "yeah..go for it"...? There are real dangers to consider as with any surgery. I think it's important to ask yourself if vanity is a good enough reason to take those risks.

Michele

Michele,

I'm not trying to start a war but I think the, "Don't do it!" was a bit much. All warnings will be posted so that the patient is aware of the risks and possible side effects. My way of thinking is that as adults, we do our research, get the facts and make decision based on those facts.

I just wanted to state that the support I got on these boards during my experience was good. No one criticised me for thinking about it or doing it and that really helped :) And, no, I'm not saying you were criticizing, I'm just saying that I wasn't criticised and that was good! :)

Actually, I was the one who mentioned to Lorrie that I had lipo and that others on this board may have experiences to share with her. I know how sometimes people are afraid to say, "Hey, I did this" because they are worried about the stigma attached to plastic
surgery.

I don't like the idea of Botox injections...but I'm not going to tell someone not to do it because of my fears. To each their own, that's all I'm saying :)

>Michele,
>
>I'm not trying to start a war but I think the, "Don't do it!"
>was a bit much.

Well, maybe it was, but that's honestly the way I feel. It's my true and honest opinion. I didn't mean to make alarm bells go off here, or to offend anyone. ;)

Michele

Michele,
It is always great to have someone around with the cons and they "I have a friend" stories. These stories do not just occur on The Learning Channel, they are real people.

I just had a friend have a breast reduction and her results were miserable and she has had infection after infection. She asked me about mine after her date was already set and I gave her really honest pros and cons. Now she says that it was the biggest mistake she ever made and after seeing her breasts, I agree. Imagine if she had a real complication like your friend.

Complications can happen with any surgery and plastic surgery is...well...surgery. I am very sorry about your friend and honestly that was my biggest fear going in. What if something happens to me and I spend the rest of my life screwed up. Unfortunately my breasts had become and entity in and of themselves complete with rashes, so I was running out of options. I'm not sure if I would have taken the risk on lipo only.

Melissa

Melissa,

I think breast reductions are often medically advised. Some women are so large on top that it causes a whole host of problems including pain and neuralgias, not to mention what it can do to your posture. I'm so glad your surgery went well.

I don't usually voice my opinion on this topic unless it is asked for. I think sometimes it helps people to think it through when they hear and can process the concerns others may have---it may give them a perspective that they hadn't considered. Does that make sense?

Michele

Totally. I had it easy - no complications, etc and the surgery was a few years ago, so I have a pretty selective memory regarding the complications and risks.
I never tell anyone to have it, either. I just tell them my experience. I am actually very mixed over the reduction, because I am kind of scarred for my taste.

Melissa

You guys - thank you so much for your input and personal experiences - both ways. I am soooooo faithful on my working out and diet, but I've got those da** saddlebags and jiggly inner thighs. I'm ok with everything else, but these legs have to go. And I do the kick boxing, and the running and the elliptical blah, blah, blah. I'm not committed to doing the liposuction, I'm just starting to get information. So thank you, thank you, thank you! You've been more helpful than you know!

Lorrie

I have had two separate surgeries in conjuction w/ my losing 150 lbs. I had been working out for several years after my weight loss and had loose skin in areas that would not bounce back.

I had both my surgeries back in 1998, the first which was much more extensive and lasted 8 hours. Skin was removed & tightened on my stomach, hips, thighs, and implants. The second lasted 5 hours and basically hit the arm and legs again as well as the back side above the tail bone. I believe all in all I had somewhere around 7 lbs of skin removed. I'm not going to lie and say the recovery was fun. It was one of the most painful recoveries I ever had. Especially the first one. It took 6 weeks to get back to w/o and months to really see how I would look. I had to wear compression garments and had drains for a couple weeks. However, it was one of the best things I was able to do for myself.

I highly recommend it if you do it for the right reasons and do your research on doctors. You can certainly ask me more questions if you wish :)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

My gosh, Debbie, I would love to hear about your weight loss journey. What an accomplishment! I'm in awe of anyone who has that kind of determination. I need to lose about 20 or 25 lbs and it's all I can do to motivate myself to stick a DVD in the player (I hate cardio and that's the only thing missing from my fitness program). Well, here I go...wait for me Leslie Sansone!!!

Michele:)

"So has anyone had it? Would you advise it or against it? What were the recovery issues? I've heard the areas stay swollen for like 6 months - true or not true? How much did it cost? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance."

Hi Lorrie, I may not be too much help here since I have never had lipo. I do have a friend that did have it and she seems very happy with the results. I did not know her when she had it done but as our friendship grew, she told me she had it done. She is a very determined exerciser and she eats a very healthy diet...all things considered, she looks AMAZING!!!

Now, your "Would you advise it or against it?" question...no one can answer that but YOU!!! You have to look deep inside your sole and ask some hard questions and give yourself 100% answers. A good PS will make sure you do this. You need to ask yourself why you want it done, what you think it will acheive, how will it change your life, how will things be different, how will you be different, how will you feel about yourself afterwards, is it worth the recovery (which varies from patient to patient...period). You have to make sure you do not have unrealistic expectations as a result of the surgery...like your life will suddenly be perfect.

I say, while you are working up the answers to those questions, research, go on consultations, get as much information as you can and get on some lipo forums...talk to people who know first hand.

Yes, bad things can happen. If you go through with it, you will sign a paper that says you may die...which is a hard paper to sign. You don't have to sign that paper everytime you get in a car but your more likely to die on your way to the PS's office than on the table. You just need to be ready for everything and ask yourself if you are willing to take whatever comes your way...as we do every day in life.

I signed the "I could die" when I had my epideral and spinal with my son - as well as my liposuction. I could cross the street and have to sign the paper as well. I had second thoughts about that at the time - this is elective - I have young boys - but at the time - I was newly divorced - needing some self esteem. I had always had this pocket at the side of my hips and the dreaded saddlebags.

Well - I decided to do it, and haven't regretted it since - other than I would like to have some more at some point. I had my outer and inner thighs - and that little pouch below my belly button. The recovery was pretty easy - and jeans fit SO much better than ever before.

The only drawback I would say - is that if I gain weight - I gain it in different places. Instead of the pouch on my hips - I get it in my middle - which was quite a surprise. I had never carried weight around my middle until now.

It is a very personnel decision - and up until the past year- wouldn't even admit that I had had it. But now I have no problem talking about it.

Its crazy how many options you guys have who live in big cities!:) There is one girl in this town who had her breast done and everyone knows about it! hahaha:)
We can get things done around here but you would have to go into the city for it, while I live where there is just your "normal" hospital and a town of 8000 people.Its good b/c you know you are safe and no one will hurt your kids but its not so much fun when everyone knows your business!
I've wondered what I will do as I get older...and b/c you all know about my fears of getting older;) BUt topics like this do you give the option to read the pro's and con's and its always great when you know someone who as had it done.
Right now, there won't be any knives or tubes going near me.Im not that unhappy with myself.I like the way I look in clothes and even without clothes (somedays) but I do have stretch marks on my belly that I would like to get rid of...but then again, is anyone really going to see them? And there isn't a pile of lose skin there either,fairly flat with just the marks.
But I think you ladies who have had it done are pretty brave.I would be so scared that something would go wrong!
And Michele, your story was a good one to.Its nice to know "what can" happen and it could really help someone make their minds up.I know it would help me!
Lori:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.