Functional Foundations?

UPSGirl2

Has anyone tried Function Foundations from Tracie Long, and if so what did you think of these workouts?

Thank you for your input
Shannon:)

Bump. I really would like to know too, unfortunately there are no previews for the new workouts on Tracie's homepage and I think the DVD is about $54,

I absolutely LOVE them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carol
:)

Can anyone explain or review the workouts? I believe this is a two workout DVD? I've been eyeing it for a while, but hestitant to purchase it due to lack of information.

I've read great things about this DVD at VF but it's not clear whether TLP has resolved their customer service problems or quality control. I'd love to hear from someone who has ordered recently.

Debra

The customer service issues are resolved. I had my two DVD set in about three days via UPS. When you order, you have a choice of using UPS or FedEx, depending on where you live. You can order them from ....

http://www.tracielong.net/

You'll need to create a free account on that site to order. I suggest ordering the band with the DVD, as she uses it and I have yet to think of a suitable substitution.

You can get info on breakdowns and reviews at ...

http://www.justv.net

I'm not very good at giving polished reviews or breakdowns, but I'll do my best here.

You'll need a medicine ball (light), and a stability ball. The weights used are light to medium. I can't tell how much weight she's using and she doesn't say, so just experiment and use what works best for you while keeping proper form. You also need the above-mentioned band.

Core Cardio is, like the name suggests, mostly cardio. You use a step (she uses what appears to be a 6 or 8 inch step, but I'm not totally sure), and the work is done on and off it. She uses a one or two pound medicine ball, and I have tried it with four pounds and that's very challenging for me. You can use a heavy one, but unless you're used to the exercises, your form might suffer. You work your core the entire time with functional fitness moves, so form is crucial. When you preview it you may find yourself thinking it's too "easy" or wondering what you're actually working, but when you do the exercises and pay attention to Tracie's form instructions, you'll find yourself working muscles in a totally new way. During one segment they have tape on the floor for an agility grid exercise. I just jump over imaginary boundaries. That's the only part where you don't really know how the "equipment" got there. Otherwise, except for some really close camera shots at the beginning, it flows smoothly. For about 99% of the workout you can actually see what Tracie's doing. There are three other background exercisers, and they occasionally show modifications, which Tracie always explains first.

Core Strength is more strength-oriented, but you won't need heavy, heavy weights. The med ball and stability balls are used again, and the core is worked the entire time. Again, while previewing it you get a false sense of "simple". It's very false - believe me! LOL!! This is a tough, challenging workout.

You all know I've been working out to Cathe almost exclusively for well over a year now. I'm telling you these two workouts kick my behind. I have definition in my core from using these two and the other earlier three TLP's, like I have never before had. I don't know if it's the functional fitness moves, or the fact the entire 45 minutes or so of each DVD works my core almost continously, or just that I needed a break in my workout routine and needed to shake things up, but this is the first time in quite a while I'm seeing new results.

Hope this helps!!

Carol

Hi Carol,

I'm wondering--I haven't found anyone other than Christi Taylor who equals Cathe's professionalism. Are the TLP workouts polished, organized, well thought out and well carried out? Do the background exercisers seem well rehearsed? It sounds like the workouts are thorough, but is the program comparable to the professional level of Cathe?

Thanks very much,
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I didn't find Christi's background exercisers to be all that rehearsed and "together" on the two of her DVD's I tried, but then even Cathe's crew goofs up once in a while. Things like that don't faze me, to be honest with you. It gives the workouts a human quality that I enjoy very much, but I realize it might bug others. It's cool. Our differences are what make us human.

As for well thought-out, I'm used to Tracie's teaching style because I used the original Firms, of which she was an integral part once the Tortoise and Hare were released. To me they're well thought-out, but I guess it all depends on what style of instructor you like. Not everyone likes Cathe as an instructor either, as we know, so I'm sure not everyone would enjoy Tracie. I like her very much, and IMHO her professionalism and cueing is equal to Cathe's. Sacriligeous to say on here almost ... I know ... LOL!! But it's only my opinion. I realize others may feel differently, and that's cool. The background exercisers in Tracie's two new workouts appear well-rehearsed. The two new ones are much more polished than the original first three TLP's, I think. They flow well, you can see Tracie most of the time, and as I said, the only time you wonder, "where did that come from?" is when they suddenly have tape on the floor for the agility grid exercise.

I think with any new workouts you try they either "click" or they don't. As much as I tried, I just couldn't get into Christi, although I realize others like her very much It's nothing I can even put my finger on. Same with Mindy, although again others like her very much. It's such a subjective thing with instructors and workouts. And, let's face it - if you don't like it - even if you can't figure out why, chances are you won't do it.

That's really all I can say about it, so I hope this helps!!

Carol

Sounds fun, Carol..I'm glad the bugs are worked out, thanks for giving us the heads up. I too like Tracie's style, shes very professional, no nonsense. Are these workouts merely core focused or do you feel a butt kicking all over??

Oh, I definitely feel a butt-kicking ALL OVER, but especially in my core!!

Carol

Oh yeah!! Bring it on!! I am warming up my credit card..this forum is dangerous to my finances..I always want new tapes, always looking for my next butt kicking}(

Today I did Functional Cardio and also the Strenght DVD. Well, since it is final sale I'd better like it a lot.:) It is sort of unusual. I didn't love it right away (as I loved Cathe and P90X instantly) but I think maybe by time I'll like it. Many unusual moves, and that's good. On the other hand it is very poorly filmed, sometimes you can't see what on earth she is doing. Most of the time she does only a few reps., so by the time you get a hang of the move it's all over, so you have to rewind it.
But I think I have to give it some more time.

I agree!

I love the workouts...once you know the routine...it will kick your behind! The camera work is not great...the set clashes with the instructors outfits, making it difficult to really see the moves, plus they are not focused enough on the girls to see the moves in the first place. I pretty much know it now, so I am getting the benefits from the workout, but you will really need to give it a few runs to determine whether or not this will be on your "Love it" list.

HTH,

Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.