Flooring recommendations

jane_grace

Cathlete
I just moved into a new (to me) house and I have designated a workout space in the basement. The floor is bare concrete. Does anyone have any suggestions on flooring? Has anyone bought Taraflex flooring for home use?
Thanks,
Jane

I bought mats from Great Mats. An area of 10'x16' cost about $300.00 give or take. I forgot the exact amount. I am VERY pleased with it. I like it because I can add to it, or take it apart.

Thanks honeybunch!
Does your step cut into the mat? I have a cheap step that doesn't use risers but corner pieces and I'm worried they might cut it.
Thanks,
Jane

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-01 AT 08:00PM (Est)[/font][p]My step doesn't cut into the mat, but I'm careful not to but my weights directly on it. I have a black mat for that. Just jump around on it to your hearts content, but be careful not to roll furniture over it or anything like that.

You can buy replacement pieces for it, by the way. It is like a giant puzzle.

Here is a different suggestion.

I live in a concrete block house and I went to a local lumber yard/hardware store. They built me two platforms from 2 x 4's and 3/4" plywood. (They only charged me for the materials, about $45 each) They measure 4 feet by 6 feet each and side by they are 6 X 8. This space is a little cramped, but do-able. If I had a bigger room I would get two more and make my space 8 x 12. The plywood is nailed to the 2 X 4's that are on their sides so the platform is 4" off the floor.

I have a carpet scrap on a carpet pad over that. When I do videos with a lot of pivots (like Christi Taylor) I lay a piece of luan (?) over the top. This "luan" is like the top layer of plywood, a sort of veneer-I got it at the same lumber yard.

Whatever you do, don't do your aerobic/cardio workouts on the concrete floor! Even with carpeting it hurts the knees and the hips!

Good luck with your new house and new workout space.
-joy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.