Etiquette for joining a challenge group?

LeanneM

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in joining a challenge/check-in group on the forums, but am not sure about the etiquette involved in doing so. I hate to just barge into a group, so should I email someone from the group about joining? Are the groups already formed and closed to new folks?

There are so many groups there, too, that I was wondering if there was a group just for weight loss.

Thanks for any help!
Leanne

Hi Leanne.

None of the groups are that formal. None of them have "limits" on how many can join. If one interstests you just jump in and introduce yourself! Ask questions about the group's focus to see if it is the right check-in for you. Everyone will be more then happy to help you and you will be very welcome in whatever check-in(s) you choose to join. :)

Have fun!

Oh my goodness! What Wendy said! None of the challenges or check-ins require anything more than you popping it to say "hi, I'd like to join in" and then introduce yourself, etc.

Thanks so much, ladies, for letting me know! I haven't had time to really sit down and look at all the groups carefully, but I'll do so soon!

Thanks!!!
Leanne

Most of the groups are very welcoming to new members...but they do have some different focuses...If I were you I would read a few that you are interested in for a few days and see who you think you would like to be involved with. Then just jump right in and introduce yourself. Sometimes it can be a little intimidating to join what seems to be an already meshed group...but I am sure you can make a match for yourself over there. I know there is a weight watchers group, but I am not sure what else is concentrated just on weight loss. I am part of the Xers group...we started by all doing P90X around the same time, but we have added new folks, and there are gals who check in who have never even done P90X. We now have some of our group going through the X for a second and third time. Weight and fitness are always topics of conversations for us, so you may want to check us out. But I am sure any of the groups would be happy to have you...just read their threads for a couple of days to see who you think you have most in common with.

Good luck and happy posting!
Debra

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell

To be a part of this Dance even for a moment is an unfathomably huge gift---Eoin Finn

0101_10009001662.gif
[/url]

Thanks, Debra! I really appreciate the detailed advice! I'll read and track the posts for a few days, and then hopefully see if I can jump into one!

Thanks!!
Leanne

I call Leanne for MY TEAM! LOL Like in gym class!

And yes...what the others said....take a look around, get to know what we're all about, and just join right in. Many of us belong to MORE than 1 team!

Gayle

>I call Leanne for MY TEAM! LOL Like in gym class!
>
>And yes...what the others said....take a look around, get to
>know what we're all about, and just join right in. Many of us
>belong to MORE than 1 team!
>
>Gayle

Hi Gayle,

Well, I have to warn you . . . I was always the very LAST one to be picked in gym class! Are you sure you still want me on your team?!!

;-)

Seriously, though, thanks to Gayle and all of you for the warm welcome! I'll snoop around a bit (although I'll feel funny doing that, like I'm eavesdropping!) and will hopefully join in very soon!

It sounds like the check-in groups have so much fun together, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks again to all who replied! I really appreciate it!:)

Leanne

Leanne,

FYI - It might not be obvious from the thread titles, so I thought I'd share about two groups I am familiar with. The cheetahs are a group of runners of all ages, speeds, and shapes. It's an incredibly supportive, upbeat, and inspirational group. A few of us are looking to drop some lbs.

The other check-in I belong to is CABs and Abs. That's short for cold adult beverages b/c we like to work hard but kick back a little now and then, too. There are five of us who post regularly. A small but fun and supportive group.

We'd love to have you if either of these interests appeal to you. :)

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]
[font face="comic sans ms"]http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/th_sunshine.gif

Hi Cathy,

Thanks so much for sharing information about your two groups with me! I have to admit that I had checked out some of the group names, and was confused about what each group had as its focus. I'm definitely not a runner so the Cheetahs probably aren't for me, but the CABs and Abs group sounds great, and what a fun, fun name! Do you mind if I read a few posts over the coming weekend and check your group out?

I just love these forums so much! Everyone is just so friendly, supportive, and positive, and it's just such a wonderful place to be and "hang out"!

Leanne

Absolutely! :)

[font face="heather" font color=black size=+2]~Cathy[/font]
[font face="comic sans ms"]http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/runninteach/th_sunshine.gif

*gasp* Oh dear Cathy...we'd better behave ourselves if we are going to have a "visitor" stopping by to see if she wants to join our little group! We have to reel her in before she can know what we are REALLY like or else she might run screaming! LOL :p ;) :7

Relax Leanne...I'm just teasin'!:+ Come by anytime. We are a friendly bunch. :) Our group actually got started because we were all doing a P90X rotation at the beginning of the year. After that we just decided to keep up the thread cause we were havin' so much fun "hangin' out" together!:)

HA! I always wondered what CABs stood for! lol

I wanted to let you know, also, that some of us move from check-in to check-in. I, for instance, am a Cheetah, but not currently posting with those FINE ladies because I'm doing the BFL check-in (which is the Body For Life program)....but....I'll be back to the Cheetahs on Jan 1st...when I begin my marathon training again. I simply don't have the time in my day to post on too many teams.

ENJOY lurking! lol

Gayle

>*gasp* Oh dear Cathy...we'd better behave ourselves if we are
>going to have a "visitor" stopping by to see if she wants to
>join our little group! We have to reel her in before she can
>know what we are REALLY like or else she might run screaming!
>LOL :p ;) :7
>

Now, now . . . that wasn't quite how I meant it! ;-) I'm the one who'd better be on my best behavior since your group might not want ME around! :)

Leanne

The "Melters" have an initiation process: Drop and give us 50 "on your toes" pushups, hold the dreaded "plank"for 5 minutes, and do 50 low end pulse lunges!}( Hee haw. Just kiddin'!:) Love to have ya, if you are so inclined.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.