Does Soy Lecithin Contain 'Estrogen'

Lastchance09

Cathlete
I see that it's in almond milk and would like to know if this ingredient has the same properties (mimics estrogen) as whole or plain soy.

I'm curious about soy lecithin too. I googled this topic but couldn't find a clear answer. The 'anti-soy' sites say avoid it, the more general health sites say it's not a big deal to have some soy and lecithin is very healthy to consume.

For me, I don't have any cancer issues or specific hormonal problems leading my doctor to tell me to avoid soy, but I do have personal conserns about it's safety.

I was a vegetarian, though, so I was having problems getting the protein I felt I needed. My compromise after talking with my doctor was to have soy (tofu) a couple times a week, have fish a few time a week, and have low-fat dairy products and beans the rest of the time.

Any protein bars/shakes I eat are whey protein.

And then I don't worry about the soy lecithin because it is used as an emulsifier and so they only add in small amounts. It's in chocolate too and there is no way I'm not eating chocolate!

One thing I am careful about thought, is buying organic soy (especially when buying Tofu), but also looking for organic versions of products that contain Soy Lecithin in hopes that it too is organic.

I was diagnosed with estrogen positive breast cancer and didn't go the conventional route but instead choose alternative treatment which included a pretty comprehensive change of my diet. I avoid most soy products, particularly isolated soy proteins, but I do eat fermented soy, like soy sauce, miso and tempeh in small amounts.

Soy lecithin is in almost everything that we buy and it is next to impossible to completely avoid it. My doctor said as long as I don't drink almond milk by the gallon and all of my foods contain soy lecithin I should be okay.

I thought this article gives good information about soy and soy lecithin.

http://www.drmarchese.com/images/Soy_and_Breast_Cancer.pdf

Last edited:
You can avoid it by eating whole foods.

That is true! My diet consists of mostly raw (whole) food but that is not the diet that most people eat. And even for me I find soy lecithin in almond milk, supplements and cosmetics. All I am saying is, even if there is a compelling medical reason, the consensus is that it should not present a problem in moderation.

And chocolate! Don't forget chocolate. :)

Carola - do you consume raw dairy or are you vegan?

Another option I guess is to make your own almond milk, but it's time consuming and a hassle (IMO).

And chocolate! Don't forget chocolate. :)

Carola - do you consume raw dairy or are you vegan?

Another option I guess is to make your own almond milk, but it's time consuming and a hassle (IMO).

Who can forget chocolate:p:D

I don't eat dairy based on what I read in The China Study that they were able to turn cancer growth on and off by adding and avoiding casein from milk.
I have been eating raw goat milk cheese every once in a while but stopped that again. I do eat fish and seafood but no other animal products.

Thanks ladies. I also got confusing information from the internet. I mostly eat whole foods and wanted to cut milk out of my diet (I want to see if it affects my acne like sugar does) so that's why I started drinking almond milk.

I will continue to have it in moderation. Thanks a lot.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.