Does a door style pull up bar work?

sophiem

Cathlete
I've noticed many of you have pullup bars, but was wondering if any of you could tell me if a door style pull up bar is solid and works well enough. I can't afford to buy a big piece of equipment and found one at Sports Authority for $24.95. I'll get it if they work. Any input would help. Thanks!

Describe it...does it mount to the door frame or just brace itself to the door frame?

I have a bar that I mounted into the door frame and it works just fine! I am VERY short so there is no chance of knocking my head on it.

Show us a picture, if possible.

I have the door gym, that I used for P90X. It attaches to the door frame, no indident and works perfectly. Does not leave marks on the doorway, either. Google the door gym and read reviews on amazon.com

Looks like mixed reviews, some love it, others had trouble assembling it, etc. I assume you didn't have any problem putting yours together?

I've got that one...DH hung it from the rafters in my workout room. So far, so good...although just getting to it is a workout in itself!!!:+

I just wanted to add that Walmart carries a similar bar to the Sports Authority one for about $15.00. Have a great day!

I have this one and it is pretty easy to remove it from the mounting brackets...provided they are put in level. The ones I put in at the top are perfectly level. But I guess I ran out of steam and the bottom ones are slighlty off and it' harder to get the bar out.

One major drawback, once you put the brackets in, you can't close the door. So if you need to close your door, this one is not a good choice.

Hope this helps some.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.