Do you workout for more than an hour?

hrcfitness

Cathlete
I've been reading the workouts that people are doing and it seems alot of folks do 2 things per day (like spinning and turbo barre)....seems like a lot to me. I generally am thrilled if I can get one workout in.....

How much do you do?

This is a good question! I have seen many postings that seem to indicate that people workout up to 2 1/2 hours per day. Now, I was one of those people earlier this year. I would cycle outdoors for 1 1/2 hours and then come in and do an STS workout. Well, I was seriously overtraining and just plain wore out and didn't know it and I ended up being injured, SERIOUSLY injured. So all those warnings about things that can happen when you overtrain are true!

Anyway, that was not the question, I digress. Right now, I am just doing about 1 1/2 hours per day, 5 x per week: 1 hour for dvd workout or running (haven't gotten the courage back up for cycling yet) and 1/2 hour to walk the dog:p. I am really going to have to watch myself....because I do have the time since I stay at home and really enjoy exercise....so I am going to make sure I don't over-do it.

It's kind of a long answer but there we are.

I love weight workouts & have to be careful not to go over 1 hr.! When I add my stretch on then I'm definitely well over an hour. For indoor cardio I try to keep it to about 45 min. when possible as I have to make sure my dogs get exercise as well. Some days it's as much as 90 min./day!

I try to keep my workouts to one hr per day. The longest workout I do is Body Max 2 at 1 1/2 hours. And I don't do it that often. I also stick to 1 workout per day. As much I love working out, I don't want to burn out either or risk getting injured. I also just don't have enough hours in the day to do more than one!!

I have a toddler, so it's really challenging to get my workouts in. When she goes to bed, or when my husband is off, I workout for 1hr, maybe sometimes 1hr 15min approx 4-6X/week. In the summer, I do lots of walking and outdoor activities in addition to my 1hr workouts (maybe that's why I tend to drop 5lbs effortlessly!). But no, even if I had the option, I would never workout for 2+hrs! Not that there is anything wrong with that, it would just be too much for me (physically & mentally).

I workout around 45 minutes every morning before work. I get in, work hard and feel fabulous for the rest of the day. There is no more dread factor for me since I keep it slightly under an hour. :)

I work out for about a hour 5 sometimes 6 days a week. My three year old is with me, so that is about all the time I have. I do my workouts when the two older kids get on the bus.

the long answer

I do just one cardio workout in the morning, about an hour in my THR, but thats not including my warmup and cool down and stretch. Then, in the evening I try to do yoga. I only workout 5 days/week. I take two rest days, no stretching, no nothing. Just rest.

One of my yoga workouts is higher intensity/full body strength. I do one extra MMA workout and one extra full body strength workout in the evening with Cathe (on different days.)

I am not willing to sacrifice my cardio for a strength workout because I used to be insulin resistant, and cardio is the number one way to improve that condition instantly. If I don't workout, I just can't absorb the carbs. I really enjoy the MMA workouts but I just don't get that much of a calorie burn, and I'm trying to lose weight. I need to sweat those calories away because I hate to eat low on my calories. I just don't get enough nutrients that way. The same is true for most of the LIS workouts, they are a lot of fun, but I don't get the burn that I need, so I think of them as an add on in the evening.

I don't do double workouts during ttotm. I usually just do either CTX or 4DS as produced. I would never do any yoga at that time, its too risky. Sometimes, I will just do 3 workouts, and take extra rests (like this week.)

I practice yoga because it helps with depression. I do the yoga to treat my mind, my spirit, and my body. I don't think of it as a workout. Its soothing. My heart rate is not elevated. I'm not wearing shoes, earning any blisters, or wearing body glide.

This is my current rotation breakdown (not recommended for newbies, new runners, or anyone at an appropriate body/weight ratio.)

Sunday: Rest
Monday: Jog/Walk 60 min.; PM Yoga Today (advanced)
Tuesday: Cathe Step (low impact); PM Shiva Rae Yoga for beginners
Wednesday: Jog/Walk 60 min. ; PM MMA workout with Cathe
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Jog/Walk 60 min.; PM LIS workout (such as Slide n Glide.)
Saturday: Cathe Step plyos (Imax or Athletic step.); PM Yoga Relax or Yoga Max

I'm single, have no kids, and I'm between contracts right now, so I have the time. I also have the extra pounds that need to go 'bye-bye':p;)

Last edited:
One or two days a week I do workout longer than an hour. I might take a 45 minute toning class during lunch time and then go to Zumba in the evening at 5:30.

I only workout once a day and allow myself an hour and 15 minute b/c some of them are over 60 minutes. Body Max 2 I will complete the whole things at some point but on a day off b/c it is one of her longer videos.

I just done have time to do more than that b/c I get up early for work :)

My workouts average around 75 min/day, but some days it's less and some days it may be longer. On Saturdays, I may do two workouts because I have more time and I seem to be the most energetic on Sat. I workout 6 days/week, Mon-Sat. I rest on Sun. I've worked out like this for almost 2 yrs and I haven't had any overuse injuries. I think that may be because I never do the same type of workout 2 days consecutively. If I do a step workout one day, then the next day I make sure I don't do step again. I may do kickbox, elliptical, floor aerobics, or that may be the day that I do weight training. I also devote at least 40 min/week to flexibility (stretch or yoga). Doing a different type of activity everyday allows the muscles that were predominately used the day before to rest. So even though I workout for more than an hour most days, I believe that varying the workouts from day to day and focusing on flexibility has prevented overuse injuries. I also eat well. I eat healthy 75% of the time and I don't allow a deficit of more than 500-700 calories/day, especially on workout days so that my body can be well nourished and prepared for tough workouts. I also listen to my body. If I wake up and I don't feel up to doing the long workout I have planned, I'll do a shorter workout.

I think it's totally dependant on your lifestyle. I have the time and the motivation, so I do a lot of working out and running.

I don't work outside the home anymore, my child is grown and out of the house... the opportunity to do whatever I want is there. So, I am one of those who work out 7 days a week, and about 90 minutes a day... sometimes two hours. I'll do a workout DVD and then run 3 to 4 miles.

Most of Cathe's workouts are at one hour or more than one hour like Body Max 2 plus I rarely premix anything except for 4DS so, Yes, I workout at least one hour 5 or 6 times per week.

When I was in my 20s, I usually did an hour (or more) of cardio followed by an hour or so of strength training. I don't do that now.

I've found, for me personally, that my body can't give 100% every time when I put it under that kind of regimen and I don't really get anything more out of working out so much...my cardio capacity doesn't increase nor does my strength. Again, that's me personally. For others that might work out great. But I guess my body wants more rest/recovery time to be at its peak so that I can get a great work out every time.

I work out 5-6 days a week...usually alternating cardio and strength and most workouts are about an hour...sometimes less, like on HiiT days. If my body feels really good, I might throw in something extra...if my body feels like I'm struggling, I take a rest day, even if it's not scheduled. That's so hard, it takes a LOT of discipline, because we aren't Cathetes for nothing and we love our workouts! But I've learned that I gain nothing by pushing it and I also worry that if I push it I might end up injured. I don't take these unscheduled days often, but when I need it, I do.

By the way, I'm in better shape than I was in my 20s when I was working out so much more!

I forgot to add that I don't always just go by feel...I use my heart rate monitor...if I notice my resting heart rate creeping up or that my heart rate is moving up in familiar workouts, I'll add a rest day (again, hard to do). Conversely, I also use that monitor to push myself to go harder when my mind is thinking "whew," but the monitor shows I can give more. This is particularly useful to me in spinning.

I don't do double workouts during ttotm. I usually just do either CTX or 4DS as produced. I would never do any yoga at that time, its too risky. Sometimes, I will just do 3 workouts, and take extra rests (like this week.)

Does anyone know why yoga should not be done during TTOM....I don't get it? :(:confused:

thanks so much

Lately I have been doing a ratio-for example if TAM is 30 M, then I will do a 30 M cardio. If I do 45-1hr workout then I do 45-1hr cardio, just try to switch things up.
If I had a choice and had my workout space and won the lottery.....!

Does anyone know why yoga should not be done during TTOM....I don't get it? :(:confused:

thanks so much

Hi Tralaiven,

Some people believe that yoga shouldn't be done during TTOTM because of the inverted positions. It can cause energy to flow the wrong way which can disrupt normal physical flows. There are yogis that strongly disagree with this idea as well so it just depends.

hth
Jamie

Hi Tralaiven,

Some people believe that yoga shouldn't be done during TTOTM because of the inverted positions. It can cause energy to flow the wrong way which can disrupt normal physical flows. There are yogis that strongly disagree with this idea as well so it just depends.

hth
Jamie

Thanks for the info JamieLee. I am not a yoga person, so this is why I would not know this. My first (and probably last) yoga workout dvds came when I received LIS! I don't ascribe to the energy flow thing, so I will continue on in my world....:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.