Do you teach workshops in my area?

kimroberts

Cathlete
I usually host 2-4 instructor workshops at my gym each year, mainly as a way to keep up my CEU's. Most presenters let the host attend free in exchange for the legwork of mailing out fliers, setting up the room, getting refreshments, etc.

If you teach any workshop that is approved for AFAA or ACE CEU's, please contact me. I'm near Nashville, TN. [email protected]

hey,
how is your pilates plan coming?

are you doing it yet?
have you seen the pilates for dummies or idiots book? I thought that was pretty good along with the Pilates Body by Brooke Siler...

its annoying that they claim you will get a dancers body doing pilates..... the only people with dancers bodys in my classes were dancers before they got there.

someone was talking about the levels of students in the class...

i dont know what condition your students will be...but my class has people who are new and people who have been there quite awhile...and it works out ok....there is so much to work for in the basics and it isnt much that changes a basic to an advanced move sometimes..so it blends well if the instructor keeps their eyes open and offers options.

Hi Cinza,

We haven't started classes yet. My boss asked me to give free private or semi-private sessions to any member that wanted one. I've done about 40 of those and the demand is tapering off. (Thank goodness. I'm worn out! And no pay for it, to boot!) From that group, I've had one person buy 6 more sessions at $12.50 per session. My boss set the price low because he doesn't like how "plain" I present the exercises. He won't charge more until I start jazzing it up. Some others have asked for classes to start. Most people liked it and thought it was a HUGE challenge despite years of working out. In addition, I've gone to 2 dance studios with one more scheduled tomorrow for demonstrations. Dancers have had much less trouble doing the moves than gym rats have.

There is one of those "mutated" certifications happening in about 3 weeks near us. Some of my friends at other gyms are going to it. My boss's goal was to be "first" in the area. I've let him know that others are about to have Pilates, but I can't light a fire under him. When he saw that HE was unable to do any of the moves, he isn't as excited about it as he once was.

I'm still not comfortable teaching it. To be honest, I don't really enjoy teaching it as much as I thought. It has helped my back immensely, though. I've had several pain-free days then I have to do a step class or something and I'm all messed up again.
I think it is going to make for a boring class. I emailed Natalie (my teacher) for help. She was out of town and sent me a short message through her boyfriend not to "dumb it down" for the gym crowd.

I ordered another Pilates video--my 7th. It's from Living Arts and it is dedicated to the magic circle (?). I like Ana Caban a lot. Her tapes seem less clinical than any of the others. Maybe that will add some variety with my individual clients, but I can't afford a $40 ring for a class full of people. And my boss won't. Now he's not even looking to get us any mats since he's lost his momentum on the project.

I don't really know where else to turn to for information. I'm wondering if I should go to one of those quickie lessons just to see how they present it. Then I could do the classes one way and do the private sessions more traditionally. I don't know what to do. I honestly feel like I've tried to do what he's asked me to do.

My remaining question . . . I haven't cashed any of his reimbursement checks where he paid me back for my expenses for this training. It totals about $650. If I cash them, I feel obligated to teach Pilates only for him for a reasonable length of time--maybe a year. If I give the checks back to him and essentially pay for all my own training, I don't feel I have that obligation. The money itself isn't the problem. I want to do what is truly right. But how much am I expected to do for a boss who doesn't give me any support?????

i have a magic circle and the stotts tape , a balanced body tape and a karen voight tape for circle.

I dont think the circle is worth much as a workout by itself...
its a nice addition but expensive ---
you can use a ball to do a bunch of the circle stuff..

so dont buy a circle unless you land up doing alot of privates.. you wouldnt want to outfit a class with them .
if you do want to buy one .. i can sell you my new stotts tape and quality steet circle for 40 plus shipping...I think i paid 60 or so...and the circle is nicer than any other i have seen.

Thanks for the offer, but mine is already on the way. When you say you can use a ball, do you mean a swiss exercise ball, or would one of those cheap play balls from Wal-mart work? My boss wouldn't buy any props for the aerobics room so I bought a dozen of those really large play balls at wal-mart, they are about 30 inches in diameter and cost about $2.97 each. They work great for abs, glute raises, decline pushups, inner thigh work, etc. The pump for my own personal exercise ball fits them and my husband goes in about once every 3 months or so and pumps them all up for me. That's the extent of his workout!!!! I've never had any to burst in over a year of daily use!

instead of the magic circle you can use balls that size or smaller from anywhere....
i get "gerte" balls from a nice toy store...soft and pretty and squishy and easy to put more air in.. i do all sorts of things with them...even use them to lean against to just sit around on the floor.
i love your 2.95 balls from walmart...

how old are the people coming in for pilates?

The folks who really like Pilates have been in their mid-late forties. The oldest two people I've had were mid fifties and they loved it. The younger folks haven't really liked it nor has it been a big challenge for them. We have an age gap at our gym. Lots of folks 40 and over and their kids who are 16-23. But then there's this black hole from age 25-40 or so. It's really peculiar.

I have a Pilates side kick question for you. I've been doing tons of leg work with these folks. In aerobics, we're taught that when you are doing side lying leg lifts not to lift your foot higher than your hip. But at our Pilates class and on some videos too, they do a lot of leg work where you float your leg up as high as you can from a side lying position. Have you ever had anyone experience hip discomfort from this?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-01 AT 04:01PM (Est)[/font][p]the thing on the side leg work..

one
remember the waist stays off the floor...
two
the hips stayed stacked...one on top of the other...and stable..no moving....
its not easy

the point is length not height..

i would suspect when you see a leg go high that the form has been compromised.

i havent watched all the same videos you have, but i would check in with moira stott for good form and pointers.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.