Debra Waterhouse books work for you?

ellenellen

Cathlete
I read "Outsmarting the midlife fat cell" and what I got out of that was I need to do 4 days of 60 minutes cardio sessions at a heart rate to burn fat and 2 days of weight training. Ok.....I'm pretty close to that right now so I think I'll try it.. Anyone around 45 or so try this and get results?

Then I read "Outsmarting female fatigue" and realized I do pretty well except for my portion control. She says a portion is a "handful" this makes sense to me and I KNOW my portion size is WAY out of line. Anyone work on their portion control and get results?

I think this fat I have left is going to be very tough to get rid of because of my age. I think hormones are raging and ebbing all over the place in my body and so I'm convinced I need to incorporate these ideas of Waterhouses.

Please let me know if you've had any luck in following her guidelines. Thanks so much.

Ellen-the one with the great bod for a 45 year old (except for that little innertube she wears around her lower tummy!)

RE: Debra Waterhouse books, do they address this?

Ellen,
I haven't read the books you're discussing, but I think I need to. Last fall, I started this perimenopause stuff where my cycle got very irregular. And without my eating or exercise habits changing, I gained about 20 pounds in three months. Then my weight stabilized. Of course that's just enough blubber so that nothing in my closet fits. I haven't been able to budge a pound of it off. Is this the kind of issue this book deals with???? If so, I'm headed to Walden Books today???

RE: Debra Waterhouse books, do they address this?

Yes, she has two books. One is "Outsmarting the female fat cell" and the one I just read "Outsmarting the midlife female fat cell". It deals with exactly what you are talking about- so if your going to purchase one I would get the midllife fatcell one.

Then I just saw this other book -the one with fatigue in the title- and borrowed it from the library and it addresses food, exercise, water, sleep, etc. I've already been living by most of the guidelines she talks about. But her chapter on food in that book was very interesting to me. But I dont think I would buy that one without reading it first. I know I've seen these books mentioned on fitness forums so I know there has to be others here who have at least read them.

Hopefully we'll find out some useful info. Cause I know exactly what your talking about and you already made me feel better!

Ellen,

The only way I lose weight is portion control - I eat healthy, it's all in portions. My metabolism isn't slow, I just can't rely on appetite anymore. The mini-meal advice is great too if you're not already spreading your calories out. I think both of the "Outsmarting" books are great & I recommend them to friends who experiencing hormonal changes.

Two gripes about the "Mid-life" book. One, my take on her advice was that she essentially says you're going to get thicker & you need to learn to live with it. No, I'm going to fight it! Second, her exercise recommendations don't apply to endurance sports enthusiasts (moi).

Debra

Crummy....I was hoping there were some folks out there who had some success with incorporating her ideas.

Debra,
What exactly did you mean when you said "Second,
>her exercise recommendations don't apply
>to endurance sports enthusiasts"

Thanks so much!

I'm paraphrasing, but Waterhouse believes that anyone that exercises more than 10 hours/week is undermining their fitness & results. Most endurance sport enthusiasts (running, cycling, triathlon) spend 10+ hours week training between "road" & weight work. Not to say that every runner or cyclist does endurance work (regular 90+ minute workouts) but many do. Personally, I can't train for a bike tour, century, or multi-day hike without putting in the training hours.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.