A couple of questions

gidget1978

Cathlete
Everytime I workout I think about these questions and then I forget about them after...but I didn't this time! LOL

When doing static lunges, (which btw, I hate)I know cathe says "stand tall" but when I do, I get a crap in my back leg. So I have learned to lean forward a little and really get in the glute area. Anyone else do this?

Also, when doing push ups, if there are a lot I will have to drop to my knees sometime during the 2nd set. If the first set is 16, then I do all of them on my toes. If its a short break and I have to do another 16, at some point I drop to my knees and then do the 3rd set on my knees altogether. Do you think its better to take a longer break and do all of them on my toes, or in the end does it really matter cause the break is shorter?

And does anyone else hate using a barbell for bicep work? I hate it. I can take 15 lbs dumbells and do curls but for some reason I hate using a 25 lbs barbell!

Lori:)

I have often wondered the about the bicep work as well. I cannot do the barbell at 25 but can use the dumbells. It is the same weight because I count the weight of the bar. Does it matter? I do the same with push ups as you. I might try taking a break and finishing on my toes though. I think it might make a difference but I am no expert!
LD

Oh, me too on the barbell for bis. When I use the BB, something in my right wrist just tugs and clicks the wrong way. Because my range of motion is limited by using the BB, I will sometimes sub using heavy DBs...which then allows my wrist to roll just a bit differently (and more comfortably).

For pushups, I usually try to take a longer break, but sometimes I like to drop to my knees and put my hands on my step (around an 8" step height) and do pushups that way. Using the step really gets into my chest more sometimes. TRY IT!

Gayle

>
> And does anyone else hate using a barbell for bicep work? I
>hate it. I can take 15 lbs dumbells and do curls but for some
>reason I hate using a 25 lbs barbell!

Me, too, and I can never figure out why! I still end up using the barbell, but am grumbling the whole time. I especially dislike the segment in LIC where we use the green band and the barbell to work biceps. I keep telling myself that it must be good for me!

Leanne

Hey Lori-

Static lunges- sometimes I notice that my back leg cramps more if I haven't been properly stretching my hamstrings after lower body workouts. I tend to have really tight hamstrings so when I get 'lazy' and skip some stretching to save time I end up paying for it later, thought I'd chime in incase it may help!

I also use dumbells for EVERYTHING- not sure why I don't like using a barbell- think it started out as I was just used to the dumbells then the few times I did use a barbell I noticed that I would tend to use my right arm more b/c it's stronger so using dumbells insures that both arms are working equally hard! I also use them for lower body too out of habit & just being more comfortable w/ them. I always use the same weight as Cathe, just in dumbells! Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

Lori:

sometimes cathe just doesn't allow enough rest time in between sets for you to generate muscle growth and strength. If a longer rest allows you to do the second set on your toes, then that is what I would do. Upper body endurance never really makes sense to me, not like lower body endurance, which helps us with our Imax workouts, Drill Max, Kick max, any cardio workout, and with running.

Re: biceps with barbell. I love it, especially after dumbell work for biceps, as done on S&H, since it allows me to eke out just a little more from the muscles. But again, you make the workouts suit you, so if you want to stick with dumbells, just do it!

Personally, I hate back pullovers with the barbell. Love them with a really heavy dumbell in both hand holds. Ah well....

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.