Cool fitness pics of women-all sizes/sports

That is pretty cool. Reminds me there are different shapes and sizes and no "perfect" physique.

I wish advertisers would use this! These pics make me feel better about myself even now after 25 pounds lost!

I have that book. It is called "Athlete" Both men and women are featured. It is a beautiful coffee table book.

Glad you are all enjoying. I thought they were great. All very strong women, very athletic, yet all so very different in appearance.

So interesting! Thanks for posting that.

Look at the first group: Lisa Leslie at 6' 5" (!! I don't even know any MEN that tall) next to Tegla Loroupe (sp? Hard to see) at 4' 11". They almost look like different 'breeds' of humans. Like different breeds of dogs can be so different in size.

And in the fourth group: Amy Acuff at 6' 2", 145 (she looks either shorter than that, or like she would weigh more at that height).

Anyone know offhand what 5 events are in a heptathlon?

Kathryn - I was curious...from Wikipedia-

There are two versions of the heptathlon. The first is an outdoor competition for women, and is the combined event for women contested in the Athletics program of the Olympics and in the IAAF World Championships in Athletics. The IAAF World Combined Events Challenge determines a yearly women's heptathlon champion. The women's outdoor heptathlon consists of the following events, with the first four contested on the first day, and the remaining three on day two:
The other version is an indoor competition, normally contested only by men. It is the men's combined event in the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Athletics. The men's indoor heptathlon consists of the following events, with the first four contested on the first day, and remaining three on day two:
The scoring is similar for both versions. In each event, the athlete scores points for his/her performance in each event according to scoring tables issued by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).[1] The athlete accumulating the highest number of points wins the competition.
The heptathlon has been contested by female athletes since the early 1980s, when it replaced the pentathlon as the primary women's combined event contest (the javelin throw and 800 m were added). It was first contested at the Olympic level in the 1984 Summer Olympics. In recent years some women's decathlon competitions have been conducted, consisting of the same events as the men's competition, and the IAAF has begun keeping records for it. But the heptathlon remains the championship-level combined event for women.

So interesting! Thanks for posting that.

Look at the first group: Lisa Leslie at 6' 5" (!! I don't even know any MEN that tall) next to Tegla Loroupe (sp? Hard to see) at 4' 11". They almost look like different 'breeds' of humans. Like different breeds of dogs can be so different in size.

And in the fourth group: Amy Acuff at 6' 2", 145 (she looks either shorter than that, or like she would weigh more at that height).

Anyone know offhand what 5 events are in a heptathlon?

Different Breeds of human...Never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. Yes, they do! How cool.

Just like we love different breeds of dogs and cats, we should be accepting of different shapes that we come in, instead of so critical of ourselves and others. Think about all the wonderful things are bodies are capable of!

REALLY cool pic, Shana. I love the variety of sports covered. Thanks for sharing.

I have only one problem...WHERE ARE THE SKIER CHICKS?!?! :p:D

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. My mother always said "variety is the spice of life", but I don't believe that. Variety is a necessity of life. Each person has his or her own talents and abilities. Fortunately, we could not all be the same if we tried! :)

Just like we love different breeds of dogs and cats, we should be accepting of different shapes that we come in, instead of so critical of ourselves and others. Think about all the wonderful things are bodies are capable of!
How true.
Especially since, depending on the time period, only certain 'breeds' are seen as most desirable (voluptuous women in the 19th century, very thin women with boyish figures in the roaring 20's and the 60's, etc.). And whether your 'look' (breed) is acceptable or not is pretty much a matter of chance.

That was copied to my *passion* photo file! I spotted the mountainbiker legs immediately! What a great photo, wish I had this poster-size.

nancy i googled this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_aerobics

i love this, its what its all about for me. not looking a certain way but showing the heart you have to the game(regardless of your sport). strength and confidence. and those that are gonna base it on looks, get in the game and show us what you have and i bet its nothing on us! i bet the 300lb weightlifter can crush a few guys her sport, rock on girl!!

kassia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.