clean eating

jistbrenda

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, you often talk about clean diet. can you tell me what kind of foods are good? like I have heard sweet fruits aren't good for you all the time because they have sugar. I was told to stick with green apples. I recently purchased the sugar solution diet cookbook, I haven't read it yet... but are the foods in there examples of what you mean by clean eating? Thanks Brenda

Not Cathe, but a good start on this is to read "The Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno.

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

Not Cathe either - you might want to post in the Ask Cathe section to get her advice as she answers there most often. But my favorite definition of cleaning is anything that grows in the ground or anything that EATS anything that grows in the ground.

A variety of fruits and vegetables are best, in my opinion.

>Thanks,any specific nuts? and any kind of fruit?

Good nuts are almonds (for calcium), walnuts (for omega fatty acids), brazil nuts (for selenium). IMO, it's best to get raw, organic nuts (not roasted and salted). If you like the crunchier texture of roasted nuts, soak raw nuts overnight (which actually makes them start to germinate, and their nutritional profile improves, just as sprouting improves the nutritional profile of grains, seeds and beans), then rinse and dry them. If you dry them in a dehydrator (under 115 degrees), they get nice and crunchy, and you can make flavored nuts by adding a bit of moisture (agave nectar, maple syrup, olive oil) a touch of salt, and spices (sweet spices like cinnamon with the sweet moisture sources, more tangy spices, like paprika, garlic powder, italian or mexican spices, etc. with the olive oil.

Don't go overboard, though, as nuts are very high in fat (good fat, but fat nonetheless--about 70% or more of their calories come from it). A handful or so a day is plenty.

For fruits, berries are excellent sources of antioxidants and phytonutrients, and are low glycemic. Apples and pears are high in pectin, a good fiber. Go easy on bananas, which are high glycemic fruits. They are best eaten in moderation, with some fat or protein (like a bit of banana in a protein smoothie: take ripe bananas, peel and break into chunks, and freeze. Drop 1 or two chunks in a smoothie for sweetness and to cool it down). Their high glycemic index does make them good to eat after a workout, when the body needs to replenish glycogen (the type of sugar the brain and body use) ASAP.

As for 'clean eating': generally, 'clean' food is food that you can understand all the ingredients in (they are things you can prepare yourself) and is minimally processed. Some ingredients---hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup/sweetener--are decidedly NOT clean. I'd put artificial sweeteners in general in that category, though others may not (though IMO, anything made chemically rather than 'grown' can't be that healthy for us).

I prefer the term "whole foods," which is more or less the same concept, but doesn't have the moral connotations of 'clean' eating.(and it's a concept that's been around much longer than 'clean eating' which seems to have come from the bodybuilding world.) It's also easier to understand, IMO. (brown rice, for example is a 'whole' food, but white rice isn't.)

HTH

Thank you very much Kathryn. You are very noledgeable
in this area. out of curiosity... what is IMO? You have helped me tremendously. Thanks

IMO=in my opinion

Okay, so here's my rant with clean eating: How do you make the transition from eating more processed foods to eating clean? And how do you afford it? Lets face it, I can buy cereal at a cheap price and eat it for a while.

I already try to make the foods I like to eat as good for me as possible. My criteria generally includes high in fiber (aka whole grain) and low or no trans/sat fat, recently I've nixed partially hydrogenated oils, which leads me to a perfect example. I love peanut butter and eat it frequently. It has partially hydrogenated oils. So, in my quest to eat better, I've looked at natural PB. The price is significantly more. I'm already trying to reduce my grocery bills, so how is this done?

How can you afford to eat clean, wholesome food, on a budget? And, how do you adjust your palate? Sometimes, I really just want to binge on some carbs that are processed! How did you deal with this? Has it been eliminated? What was it like in the beginning?

I am very busy. I've been so stressed lately, I've had chest pains everyday. I barely have time to meet the deadlines I have to meet. (I'm in the middle of my senior year of nursing school in a strenuous BSN program). So, can this change be made without a lot of extra thought and energy and planning. Because, honestly, I don't have any of the above to devote to this right now.

I would love to get lean and eat clean. But, just showing up for my daily workouts right now is taxing.

Any helpful hints?

Sorry so long.

I believe it was Ann that suggested the "The Eat Clean Diet" book by Tosca Reno. That book really kicked into gear for me!!!! Don't get me wrong, I still love "bad" foods and still eat them from time to time (it's just who I am), but this book has really made me aware of what I do eat. Give this book a try!:)

>Okay, so here's my rant with clean eating: How do you make the
>transition from eating more processed foods to eating clean?
>And how do you afford it? Lets face it, I can buy cereal at a
>cheap price and eat it for a while.

Buy buying more raw ingredients and making from scratch.

Find a food coop that sells grains and beans and such in bulk. Buy your spices in bulk as well (MUCH cheaper than pre-packaged herbs and spices--you're paying more for the packaging than for the herbs/spices). Pre-packaged foods of any kind are quite a bit more pricey than bulk.

You could easily make your own 'natural' peanut butter for less than the store-bought types by grinding your own peanuts (easy if you have a Vitamix, tougher with other food processors).

I'd say now is a perfect time to get out a crock pot and start with some very healthy casserole type meals or some good wholesome soups.

Just dump in some lean proteins or legumes, barley, lentils, etc. and add a can of diced tomatos and some other of your favorite veggies. Add your favorite things like onions, garlic, peppers and spices.

You could also add brown rice or some whole wheat pasta.

Then let it cook while you are busy with the rest of your day.

When you get home you have a meal and then some that can be stored in one serving containers (even freeze some) and then just reheated.

I also like to take a little time when I can find it to prepare a few things like chopping peppers and onions, either cooked or raw, some salad fixins' for a quick salad and cook a bit extra a few times a week for my lunches - which I take to work every day. Not only does it then take just a couple minutes to get my lunch together but it is preselected to be clean and I then have no temptations later in the day }(

I love the tips! I've never thought about buying spices in bulk, but it makes perfect sense! And, you're doing something good for the environment by decreasing packaging!

I love the crock pot idea and the soups (especially for rainy, dreary, cold weather). But, it has to be secretly healthy otherwise DH won't partake. So, I make a bean and lentil soup last night, but put cut up ham in it. Does this make it unhealthy?

There are so many foods that I eat that I think are good, but then I wonder...Are they really????

Any recipes?

I just started using a crockpot. I made a beef stew and DH loved it (and he hates healthy food). I also made frozen processed crock pot food and DH said he actually felt better after eating the beef stew. I hope this is the start of DH eating healthy but then again, he went to the bakery over the weekend and got eclairs, creme puffs and cheesecake (all of my faves and very hard to resist). He doesn't do this very often, thank goodness. I've also gotten him to eat whole wheat pasta. I made a recipe off the back of the Ronzoni box which had grilled chicken, tomato sauce, yellow peppers, garlic and I forget what else, but he didn't complain.

Here's a website for crockpot recipes: http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

Marcy

>I love the tips! I've never thought about buying spices in
>bulk, but it makes perfect sense! And, you're doing something
>good for the environment by decreasing packaging!

I used to work in a coop, managing the herb/spice section at one point, and I was always amazed when people came up with a bag of herbs/spices and it cost 10 cents or something. The same amount would have cost many times that much if it were prepackaged!

10 CENTS??!??!???

Are freakin' kidding me?

That's insane!

But, just curious, what is a coop? I'm not sure if we have any of those where I live.

>But, just curious, what is a coop? I'm not sure if we have
>any of those where I live.

A food co-op/co-operative. I don't think there are a lot of them around any more (most have turned into regular stores). The concept was started in Minnesota about mid-twentieth century (by Finnish or Norwegian immigrants--I actually went to a co-op weekend at a campgrounds, where the 'younger generation' of co-op folks (like me) got to mingle with some of the oldtimers, who were around 70 at the time).

Co-ops are mostly natural-food oriented, and offer discounts to members who volunteer their time (non-members can shop there as well, but pay the regular prices). They have a lot of foods in bulk.
Here's an example of one (not the one I worked at, that one closed years ago, I think!)
http://www.stpeterfood.coop/

Co-ops are still around. I've been to several in Illinois and Wisconsin. We used to live right around the corner from a beautiful co-op before moving to Michigan. Our old co-op offered a few ways to become a member: one was volunteering a certain amount of hours and another was buying a share, which costs $100 per household. Not only did members get some additional discounts, but we also got a share of the profits each year (not much money, but still pretty neat). I miss my old co-op! I worked there for a little while baking cookies. Good times.

Amy

"And, how do you adjust your palate? Sometimes, I really just want to binge on some carbs that are processed! How did you deal with this? Has it been eliminated? What was it like in the beginning?"

goldenrun, it seems to me that the only time I crave simple carbs is when I eat simple carbs. If I have old-fashioned oatmeal for breakfast, I start the day off right, and I don't have cravings the rest of the day as long as I stay away from simple carbs. I think this is referred to as a carbohydrate sensitivity, but my understanding is that many people have it to some degree or other. Simple carbs overflow your bloodstream with sugar, your blood sugar rises and you keep eating more simple carbs to maintain the level, or something like that. In any event, it's a physical phenomenon, and it's easy to deal with. Just avoid simple carbs, such as refined sugar and white flour, in the first place, or, if you must eat them, have as little as possible, accompanied by protein. While it may not eliminate your desire to binge completely, it is likely to help a lot.

Another thing is, I believe there are just some times in your life when you can't focus on being at your best. I remember my senior year in college eating bags of Snicker bars just to make it through all my finals. You're having a rough year, so be gentle with yourself. After you graduate, you'll have plenty of time to focus on health issues. One year never makes much difference in my experience.

I say relax, focus on your deadlines for now, and start your new eating plan next year. ;)

That is great advice! I don't expect perfection, but it's frustrating when you know you are not doing anywhere near your best! And, I agree that in the long run, one year will not make a different (except for the way I feel in the present).

So, my resolve is to try. To be mindful. For me, mindless eating is huge part of it. It's easier to do it if you don't think about what you're putting into your body!

But, at least for today, I'm off to a good start. Oatmeal for breakfast with egg white omelet. And, a Kashi flaxseed and grain bar for a snack while at school. Lunch...hmmm...that is another story!

>Co-Op directory for the US.
>
>http://www.coopdirectory.org/

Wow, what a blast from the past!

I recognize a lot of the co-ops in the Minnesota listing, though sadly, the Mankato one where I worked is definitely defunct (I was involved in my co-op during the entire time I was an undergrad).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.