Catherine or anyone else reading NROL4W?

LeanneM

Cathlete
Hi all,

I was just curious if Catherine/Fit Fairy or anyone else has been reading the _New Rules of Lifting for Women_. What did you think of it? I finished it a few days ago, and found it to be really helpful.

I liked the nutrition section a lot, and it seemed to be very similar to what Tom Venuto says in BFFM about macronutrient requirements, especially in getting about 30% protein each day.

I don't know if I'll follow the weight-lifting program since I don't want to give up my Cathe workouts:), but I did think that it was interesting, too. I was surprised that the author advocated not doing separate exercises for biceps, triceps, etc. This was a really new way of approaching lifting for me, but it sounds like it's been effective for his clients.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts!

:)

i read the book as well. i like it but won't give up cahte's workout to follow the program. if you like the nutrition portion the author wrote another book i can't remember what its called but its on the authors webpage. i have that book as well but not with me right now to tell you the title. its a very good nutrtion book.

Hi kariev,

I know -- I don't want to give up my Cathe workouts either, especially since I've already been getting great results from them and I'd go through Cathe-withdrawal!:) I'll definitely check out that nutrition book, too; thanks for recommending it!

Hi,

I ordered this book months ago and was so thrilled to finally get it. But, I read the book and I was disappointed. He seemed contradictory on many issues, and I was not impressed with the research that he based many of his comments on. I found his entire stance on cardio to be wishy washy and provide no real guidelines. Finally, when I was done, I just asked myself what were the new rules, and I really didn't have an answer.

Tracy

WOW! I was thinking about getting this book, but you gals offered a lot of helpful insight. There's no way in Haiti I would ever give up my Cathes! The nutrition book sounds interesting though.

I am reading it now, and I am finding it very interesting. A lot of the stuff on nutrition is new to me, so I enjoyed learning those things. Haven't gotten to the workouts yet, but I am will all above -- will NOT give up Cathe!

Hey Leanne! I am ashamed to say that I started this book and got stalled and haven't gotten back into it. I usually use books like this as a guide and not as a plan to follow. I love my Cathe's and will have been incorporating heavy lifting on my own rotating with Cathe's for a while now. I have found this works for me.

As far as not doing extra exercises for the biceps and triceps, this is not a new concept. It's one that many follow. I do believe Lou said in NROL (1st version) that it's ok to add in accessory muscle work (bi and tri) at the end of the workout, but don't spend alot of time on it. This is going with the assumption that you are lifting as heavy as you can and doing compound moves. When you bench you work the tricps and shoulders. When your row or do some other back work you hit the biceps. I think it all depends on your goals. Weight loss workouts look different than those who are wanting hypertrophy (muscle growth). I hope that makes sense.

Lou has been around a long time and knows his stuff. It just may be a bit different than what some of us here are use to seeing.

[font color= purple size=+3]Catherine[/font]

http://www.rykat.org/forums/style_emoticons/default/arrowhead.png

http://www.picturetrail.com/fit_fairy

http://69.89.25.157/~extremf4/forums/images/smilies/chinup.gif

Hi all,

It's definitely still an interesting book to read. Catherine, thanks for giving us the background on the concept of not doing the accessory moves. I had never heard of this way of training before reading his book, but I think that I will stick to my Cathe workouts -- biceps, triceps, and all!

I like Tracy's comment, too, about how he's a bit unclear about cardio. It seems like he really advocates HIIT workouts, though.

Katie, isn't the nutrition section interesting? I've been doing the same nutrition breakdown for a little while (since reading Tom Venuto's BFFM), and it's been really working well for me.

Have any of you purchased Cassandra Forsythe's _Perfect Body Diet_ book, which also came out last week? She wrote the nutrition section for NROL4W, and I bought her book at the same time that I ordered NROL4W. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but plan to start it soon.

Happy Saturday!

i'm reading the perfect body diet book. its excellent and i recommend it to anyone who wants to read about nutrition.

>i'm reading the perfect body diet book. its excellent and i
>recommend it to anyone who wants to read about nutrition.

I'm glad to hear it! I flipped through it, and it looks good!

Kariev, can you remember the name of the other nutrition book you have by Lou Schuler? I checked his website and Amazon, but his nutrition books seemed to be geared towards men (and I'm not sure if that matters or not).

>i read the book as well. i like it but won't give up cahte's
>workout to follow the program. if you like the nutrition
>portion the author wrote another book i can't remember what
>its called but its on the authors webpage. i have that book as
>well but not with me right now to tell you the title. its a
>very good nutrtion book.

I think your talking about the Perfect Body Diet. There is an excerpt in this months Womens Health mag. It also sounds interesting.

I too liked the NROWL but I'm not giving up Cathe, Amy or Tracey for his plans. I liked the nutrition section and learned a lot of new things.

Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.