Which Cathe workout...

mini-natty

Cathlete
Past or present, intimidates you?

Mine are any complex/dancey step workouts. Not too long ago, any step routine that did not involve athletic-style moves, really intimidated me. Step Moves, Step Blast, LIC (from the LIS), even the step routine from Imax3, had me avoiding these workouts. Then I realized the more step you do, the easier it becomes. Now I love em'! But I still feel a little hesitant when I know there's a learning curve involved.

Natasha

Hi Natasha,

I love this thread....

I fear Imax 3 so have never gotten through it and I avoid it (wish I didn't) - someone help me
I fear lowmax for the same reason
I feared Athletic Step but did it yesterday and man was that F-U-N!!!!!! Tricky a bit but I got it and that says a lot for me! It's major fun factor
MIC - 'cos it's long and high impact
Low Impact Challenge - I haven't even looked at it yet 'cos I fear it's too dancey
I've tried step blast but only got part way thru - i love the music - just fumbling made me quit again

I keep thinking I will do these one day 'cos step can be so fun and I just won't buy step from any other instructor. They don't grab me the way Cathe does. My heart is closed when it comes to step workouts.

Hi also! :D

Honestly, anytime Cathe comes out with a new workout, I am intimidated. I am not a person who likes change, so for me to learn a new workout .... well, let's just say I don't like it! That doesn't mean I won't do the new workouts, but often times I have to twist my own arm or talk myself into it. Take LIS, for example, of the 9 dvds I own, I've only done 4 of them so far, some entirely and some only partially. Same thing for the shock cardio (STS cardio) lineup. I've only done about half of them. It's just my personality, not a reflection on Cathe or anything else. I just don't like change in general and that is reflected in how I feel about learning new workouts.

This is why so-called older workouts like LowMax, Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance, etc will always hold a soft spot in my heart. They don't make me nervous like the new ones do! I've only done them a gazillion times! I know I can pop in those dvds and do them in their entirety without wondering what's next or pausing to get a move down. I even know what Cathe is going to say, often times before she says it. :p

Besides the new dvds, I would agree with what others said and say that dancey and complicated step routines REALLY intimidate me also. Like LIC from the LIS series ... I thought I was doing okay and then came step combo #4 ... huh?! I just couldn't get it. Cathe kept on going and there was me, modifying and stepping from side to side, wondering what I had gotten myself into. ;)

So in summary: new dvds scare me. That doesn't mean I won't do them, I just need to talk myself into doing them. And dancey or complicated step movements? Oy-oy-oy .... (bang head against wall). :p:p:p

In the past, Bootcamp was terrifying. There was so much in that workout that I just couldn't do it. The first two times I tried it, I couldn't make it past 15 min. Burpees in the warm-up?! Now it's one of my favorite workouts now that I can do all of it. The first time I got through that whole workout and with no modifications, I felt like the queen of fitness.

I would say anything step *embarrasses* me rather then scare's me. Cardio, HIIT, weights, intervals, I anticipate that I'm going to have a good workout, but Step...

So the other day I finally, and I mean really finally did the bonus step portion of Cardio Supersets (LIS) flawlessly...I nailed it! I think I am going to go a little bit further and tackle Low Impact Challenge. I have Athletic Step, Body Max 2, and Intensity, but I am rolling my eyes :rolleyes: who am I kidding?

Quoting mini-natty...Then I realized the more step you do, the easier it becomes...is spot on!

complex choreo

Wow, I really love the responses here :)

I honestly thought I was in a very few selected bunch that was intimidated by complex choreo. It seems as though everyone is "good" at step while I have a much harder time learning. Step is tough, it does not come easy for me. BUT I can tell you that it is possible to actually progress and get better. I am a prime example of a person with two big left feet (I'm size 8 @ 5'1). Less than a year ago, I stepped for the first time in my entire life. I had not even seen a step in person. I figured "how hard can it be? It's just a stupid step that changes heights. You go up, you come down. Tap one side, tap the other". Ha, ha, not even close. I was extremely frustrated and intimidated with any step move that did not involve the basic up/down, repeaters, L-step, power 3, 7, 15's. Once Cathe moved to the outside of her step or turned her back to me, that was it, I was lost. What really confused me, was how the heck do people get this?? My mind could not grasp this concept. So, almost a year later and several step w/o's later, I'm in a league of people that enjoy Step Blast, Step Moves, Low Impact Challenge and I'm still adding to my collection. BUT, my hands still get sweaty when I press play for the first time......I don't think the intimidation will ever disappear......but it does get better. Trust me.

Question for those that are scared of Imax3, is it the blasts that scare you or the step routine?

Complex choreography just plain turns me off. I don't see the point, really. Maybe it's meant to entertain, because you can certainly get the exercise benefit other ways.

Maybe it's because I hate, hate, hate wasting time learning new step moves. It always makes me crazy because I feel like the time it takes me to learn the choreo, is time wasted that I could be working out. Maybe it's also because I am not quick to learn new moves. Therefore, lots of time wasted with the learning process. I'd rather be doing something I can 1) learn quickly and get on with it, or 2) already know.

The other reason I hate complex stepping is that's how I broke my wrist last summer. I took a wrong step, the bench flipped off the risers and I fell backwards onto my wrist. THAT is the main reason that any Cathe workout with complex step scares me. No more jumping and turning for me. Trust me, you think you're superwoman and "it won't happen to me", and the next thing you know you're on the ground wondering how the heck you broke your wrist.

I love it all... Dancy, Athletic, old and new BUT the one and only that scares me is... MIC!!
Really just the hi/lo. I don't ever do that one unless it's on a rotation. I would rather do IMAX 3 twice than MIC once! Hahaha

Very fun thread!

Like you said, Natty, the more you do step, the easier it gets and once you learn the routine, it's so much fun. To me, the more complex routines are the most fun once you learn them. Everytime I try a new step routine, it takes a few tries before get the routine down, but once I do, it's the most fun I can have working out. I don't mind the time it takes to learn a new routine because I know that once I get it, I'll probably be doing the workout for years to come.

Like you said, Natty, the more you do step, the easier it gets and once you learn the routine, it's so much fun. To me, the more complex routines are the most fun once you learn them. Everytime I try a new step routine, it takes a few tries before get the routine down, but once I do, it's the most fun I can have working out. I don't mind the time it takes to learn a new routine because I know that once I get it, I'll probably be doing the workout for years to come.

ITA!!!! :D :D

I usually relish a good butt kicking, whether strength training or cardio, but add me to the group of folks turned off by complex choreography. I have to bust my brain all day long and when I work out, I just want to do it....I honestly don't want to have to think. I like using this time to be able to think about and process what's happened during the day...it's my therapy. I can't do that if I'm trying to figure out all those darned steps.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the kind of step that's in Athletic Training, Bootcamp, etc. Based on the many wonderful comments here, I did break down and get some of Cathe's step workouts, because I know it's great cardio. I used to do lots of step in the 80s and 90s, but not with Cathe (too intimidated...why was that?!?), so I'm not a total newbie.

Well, I popped the easiest one in the player - Athletic Step - and let's just say it didn't go well. But I'm type A, so I figured that on my off days I'd learn step choreography, since I have to stop so many times to try to learn the steps its not like I'm actually working out anyway. Well, I've given it the old college try, but it's just not going to happen. I am choreographically impaired. Add to that that it tweaked my knee and I think I'm done for good. Of course I say that, but being type A, I'll most certainly try again. Especially when those of you who love step start a thread about the great workout you got with one of the imaxes or step blast, etc.

But, overall, I just want Cathe to tell me what to do and I don't want to have to think. Air jacks? You got 'em. Squat Jumps? Here they are. Elmo push ups? Done. But up step up, jumping jack, rock step, jump rope around the world, turn around, tap up and repeater? Too much to ask. :) I admire those of you who have this level of mental energy.

But what workout do I fear (and love when it's done) the most? The STS workout in meso 1 that has the 170+ pushups. Gulp.

IMAX3, Hardcore Extreme and Step Moves. Although, after having a good attitude and breaking down each workout mentally, they all got easier BUT don't expect me to doing these when I have a bad day. Bad day workouts are Cardio &Weights, LowMax, Step Blast, SJ&P, most of LIS, 4DS Hi/Low Step combo premix.

Great thread, Natty, once again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.