Carole and other runners....last question.......

banslug

Cathlete
Hi everybody. It's coming down to the wire here for me for my marathon and have just 1 last question for all you experienced runners and/or marathoners.

My marathon is one week from tomorrow (in Disney). Anything special I need to do this last week? Stretch, what to eat or drink, how to workout, how to sleep, etc.

I've got feedback from my coach, but want to hear it from you ladies as well!

Last minute advice??? Thanks in advance!

Gayle

WOW!!!! a week to go...how exciting Gayle. You could probably do a couple of 3-4 mile slow easy runs. And yes I would do some stretching or light Yoga a couple of days. Eat normal thru the week (I do tend to eat soem junk food the night before!!) but for the 2 days before the marathon concentrate on getting in your water. So you will be very hydrated for the 26.2 mile distance. I drink anywhere from about 66 to 90 ounces of water per day. I'd say try for at least 64 ounces the 2 days before the marathon. Normally I am spending the night before the race in a hotel and sleeping is worthless! But the night before the night before the marathon try to get in 8 hours. Good luck Gayle!!! I am really excited for you and cannot wait to hear all about it....:)...Carole

Gayle,

I just have to add, that you must really be ready if you only have 1 "Last Question". LOL You have really prepared well and should be very proud of yourself. Can't wait to see you again and be there to root you on.

Jean

Hi Gayle! For me the hardest thing was not to do too much walking in Disney before the marathon! Are you familiar with the course?
Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
I did a few 3-4 milers the week before my Disney and a lot of walking in Animal Kingdom on the day before.
Just try to take it easy now, and relax. You did your homework, now you are ready for payday.
Let me know if you have any question about the course, though I did it in 2000.
Best of luck, Mari

The last week I take it easy (or what seems easy after all that training!) with a couple of easy 3 to 4 mile runs and that's it, no core work, no weight work.... In the morning on the day before the marathon I jog a couple of miles to stretch my legs and to try to get rid of the nervous energy.

The week before the marathon I go very heavy on nutrient dense carbs...fruit, vegetables, brown rice, beans, etc. The day before the marathon I eat light.

Carole mentioned one of the most important things for me, making sure to get a good night's sleep two nights before.

Make sure all of your stuff is ready to go the night before.

WOW! Congratulations!!! The culmination of all your hard work is at hand! Have fun and cherish each moment of the marathon!
This is a great accomplishment! Be sure to let us all know the nitty gritty details when you get a chance.

Thanks, ladies, for all your input! I ran my 10 miler today and my running partner asked me where the fire was! LOL. Guess I had some extra energy to burn off this morning! LOL

I will be in Disney from this Wed (01/04) thru next Wednesday (01/11), so I will be out of touch during that week. I promise to update everybody once we get home.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.