Cardio cf Weights

Fitnik

Cathlete
I am currently lifting a lot of weight and hardly doing any cardio. (Lift weights e.g. Firm, Cathe about 4 times a week and do Cardio once a week, if that). Just got some Spinning Videos to use at home on my Elliptical trainer in an attempt to do more cardio and these, of course, work your legs at varying tensions - if I were to focus on cardio say 4 days a week and then weights 2 days a week, would I lose muscle tone in my legs? I do not want this to happen after my hard work. I want to lose a little bit of weight from my lower half but don't want to sacrifice muscle tone - hope this silly question makes sense !

Hey Fitnik!
I saw you hadn't had a response to this yet so I will throw my 2 cents in.
I think you may have to experiment to find the right cardio/weights combination which will work for you and give you what you want. I will say that I have read that 90 mins. to 120 mins. of cardio per week is recommended to maintain cardio fitness and still get some muscle gains. I have a fast metabolism so I do 3 days of cardio per week and stay in this range and hit each bodypart once a week with 2 different weight exercises going heavy. I usually do bike intervals, climber at moderate intensity, and I do only one spinning class as I think I would waste away if I did alot of work at that intensity. I do frequently change my cardio routine, incorporating Cathe tapes of course, along with mountain biking, blading, and trail running.
Using what I have outlined above I have gotten bigger and have gained definition in all major muscle groups. I also feel my cardio fitness is well above average with this program.
Trevor :) :-jumpy

Hi, Fitnik,

The "standard formula" is to try to hit each muscle group twice per week. If you lift heavy weights, however, one might suffice! I would definitely increase cardio. The heart is a muscle too! Four to 5 days of cardio is great. I doubt you will sacrfice muscle. Spinning, running and the sort use those large muscles of the legs; combined with strength work, your legs may even get bigger!
http://www.plaudersmilies.de/nosmile/peacesign.gif
Bobbi

(Snif.. snif..)(very emotional about finally getting a response)..thanks for you answers ! That's extremely helpful !

What I'll do is probably use my E-trainer for both cardio and my major legs workout about 4 times a week with maybe a set or two of squats - then and maybe do a light leg work-out per week and one upper body - or something ! I'm a typical mesomorph and build muscle and tone extremely quickly - after just 2 Slow and Heavy Legs and Shoulders workouts, my bum was right up there !! I really don't need to spend all my time working out and am extremely lucky !

BTW, are there any Brits out there or am I the only one in London who has an NTSC facility on her VCR and can play Cathe's tapes? Just wondered as I'm feeling a bit lonely in London !!

RE: Hi Fitnik!!

I've just answered you're other post re:UK Cathe fans. I don't think it's just the NTSC issue I think that perhaps in the UK we're a little behind the US with internet access. Hope we catch up soon and can convince the rest of Britain that Rosemary Connelly isn't their only home workout option! lol. (No offense to Rosemary but I'm a bit fed up of being offered her videos by sales staff when looking at the almost-bare shelves in the fitness section of HMV or Virgin - and seeing the blank looks when I try to explain what level I'm actually looking for!)

I know exactly what you mean - the tapes are all so basic and useless if you're advanced like you and I. It's either Patsy Palmer's Club workout or Melinda Messenger's getting back in shape after baby - why why why?

Although it costs a fortune to get Cathe's tapes shipped, it's worth every penny - I especially love Power Hour and the S&H series and have seen amazing results in very little time with these.

Where do you live now - still Newcastle? Once a Geordie, always a Geordie, eh, pet??!!

How long have you been using Power Hour and S&H? I would be interested to know what results you are having. I only have 5 of Cathe's tapes at the moment as I was hoping to get a DVD player and be able to purchase her workouts on dvd. I don't know what I'll do if we don't get one by Xmas, I'll just have to buy what I want on tape then donate the tapes to my sister when we upgrade!
ps hope you can understand my Geordie accent. ;-) lol

Love your Geordie accent, petal ! Reminds me of my student days studying law ! I lived in all the student areas - Jesmond, Fenham and Heaton - went to the Quayside, The Boat and everything !!

I've only done S&H Legs 3ce and Power Hour once, each just once a week, and saw incredible results. I am, admittedly, a typical mesomorph and have a carbs curfew of 5 pm, but still ! Slow and heavy really does recruit more fibres - I saw changes after the first workout !!

Great to have a UK Cathe fan to "speak" to - keep in touch !!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.