Can't escape sugar!

eminenz2

Cathlete
I try very hard to limit my sweets - except on "Eat Without Apology Fridays" (haha!). I try to eat well.

I was eating my ,unch today and the folowing happened:

Reading the label of my Glaceau Vitaminwater revealed a whopping 13g of sugar per serving (and if you drink the whole bottle its 30 grams - yikes!).

The I looked at the yogurt label and there was another 12 grams!!!

Crikes! I just ate the sugar equivalent of two candy bars!

These foods are suppose to be good for you? How can you get away from it? Nothing seems immune!

Well, my first reaction to your subject line was "thank goodness!"}(

But you're right. If you don't read ingredients carefully it'll sneak into your food. Also stuff that has natural sugar like honey--even though it's not processed it'll still show up on the scale!

Well, the easy way to avoid it in yogurt is to get the plain variety. It tastes more along the lines of sour cream, I guess. I always add my own sugar to it - just enough to take the tartness out, but enough to make it taste good. :)

Label reading is a must - there is high-fructose corn syrup in most breads!! As for yogurt - if it's flavored, it has sugar. Get the plain, then blend it in the blender with your favorite fresh or frozen fruits. Instant flavor and much more limited sugar - only the naturally occurring fructose from the fruit. Plus the benefits of the nutrients in the fruit. The fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts are nothing but pie filling and chemicals. yuck
Happy label reading!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.