Can you take prenatal pills just to take them?

RWattier

Cathlete
I am not planning on kids yet, but heard that prenatal pills make your hair grow faster and really boost your immune system..........is it harmful to take them before you plan on having kids? I have been meaning to ask my doctor and next time I visit him I will, but just curious if anyone has done this?

I have not done this but Yes, you can take prenatals without being pregnant. Actually, I did take them for three months prior to conception of my first. I went to my doctor, said "I want to have a baby" and she said "stop taking the pill and take prenatals for 3 month before trying".

You can get them over the counter...I think.

Hi Reba,
Yes, you can take them if you are not pregnant, but not sure for how long? I took them for a couple of months before I became pregnant (dr. recommended it). I am pregnant now, and take a prescription chewable ones(the whole ones made me sick). I did see that you can get regular ones at Sam's Club.
I don't know if they make your hair grow faster, but I do know that when you are pregnant, your hair does not fall out (it is not in that phase-there's the growth phase, the resting phase and the shedding phase). That is probably why when women get pregnant, their hair is much fuller (maybe the vitamins help with growth?). Hope this helps!
-Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.