Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Can you?

This is a discussion on Can you? within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Wow. This was a real eye-opener for me. I work out regularly and think I eat pretty well, though I ...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Cathlete
L Sass's Profile Fields

Send a message via AIM to L Sass
Default Can you?

Wow. This was a real eye-opener for me. I work out regularly and think I eat pretty well, though I do not follow a paleo diet and this info considers paleo. I should say that my personal goal is to be strong, and for that reason I always try to push past what Cathe offers most of the time.

I set some performance based goals for 2013 and am making progress, so I wanted to see what if any guidelines there are for how heavy women should be able to lift. I know that ALL SORTS of factors go into this, and we are all different. BUT, having said that, can you all hit these numbers?

Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press Guidelines for Women...

I'll be 50 this year and while my squat and deadlift numbers are within reach of these, there is no way my bench is even close. Were you all approaching these if/when you did STS? Seems I have some work to do!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Catheite
Sissy1983's Profile Fields

Great link! It looks like I have some work to do too. I just started doing sts system about a year ago and have def made some progress but I think I need to go heavier with my legs to see more results.

~~~What doesn't kill you makes your Stronger~~~
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Cathlete
melagras's Profile Fields

When I finished STS the second time around, I was nowhere near those suggested numbers. I think the most I bench pressed with a barbell was 50 to 55. Deadlifts and squats with a barbell maybe 60 to 65.

I can't get my numbers up doing a workout dvd with the fast workout format that everyone uses. I guess I need to workout with no dvd to see what I can accomplish. I know I can do more.
mini-natty likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 AM
soozies's Profile Fields

Yikes! I think I also am nowhere near those numbers, heck, I don't even have that much weight in my workout area, hahaha.

I'm thinking those are numbers more suited toward powerlifters, bodybuilders and crossfit crowd. It's also not clear how many reps those numbers require. I'm also willing to bet that anyone could train to do that, if that was your goal. My goals right now are not in that direction, but more overall fitness.

I dare say that some powerlifters would be toast if they even tried some of Cathe's workouts.
L Sass and mini-natty like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Cathlete
spyrosmom's Profile Fields

I'm about 110-120 on a good day for an 8 rep bench press.

130-140 for an 8 rep squat.

And 100 ish for a straight and power lift dead lift. A tweaky lower back fusses if much more than that.

So, no I'm not near the numbers, but I'd bet I'm more than the average Jane walking down the street. Unless average Jane is a Cathlete or crossfitter. So, I'm ok with my numbers. I remember when 40 was a heavy squat, so I'll take it.

Nan
L Sass, DirtDiva and mini-natty like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Cathlete
RapidBreath's Profile Fields

I could do the bench press but not the other two. I probably could do all of them in college. I was a super strong girl at 17 years of age.
L Sass and mini-natty like this.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Cathlete
mini-natty's Profile Fields

Firstly, I just want to say that you are awesome Lorrie!

If I was a member at a gym and had a personal trainer or spotter to assist me, I would definitely try to hit those #'s . Even while doing STS, I could not come close to the guide you posted. Working out in my home has many limitations but I'm happy with my results and what I have achieved so far .

All the best
L Sass likes this.

Last edited by mini-natty; 02-06-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Cathlete
LovingLife's Profile Fields

I try not to compare my weight abilities to anyone else's because I'm just trying to get my body in better shape. I used to feel bad when my weights weren't as high as Cathe's and now I grab mine guilt free! Same with reps. But I do get stronger and that makes me happy!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Cathlete
L Sass's Profile Fields

Send a message via AIM to L Sass

YES Natasha - I am sure you totally could!

Soozies - these are 1RM numbers, from low to high range, and the author says they are for "natural (no steroid use) athlete with reasonable work and life commitments outside of the gym."

Nan - YOU ROCK!

RapidBreath - that is amazing.

Y'all - I think we have to realize that Cathe's videos can't really instruct heavy - really heavy - weights like it would take to accomplish this kind of result. She has to consider safety for (mostly) the at-home exerciser. But I have to wonder if by relying on our ability - or comfort - as home exercisers (even "advanced" as we all most likely are just by BEING Cathletes since she challenges more than most other video instructors) we haven't lulled ourselves into some slight complacency. We follow - and succeed - in our hard, beloved Cathe workouts. We work hard to get where we want or need to be, and I think we should all be commended for being smart, fit individuals.

BUT - if these numbers are really indicative of what we could reasonably do as natural lifters with life commitments IF WE TRULY pressed ourselves, what MORE could we accomplish?

Please don't get me wrong. Loving Life, like you said, I certainly am NOT saying that all of us here need to push like this, or even want to see numbers remotely close to this. And I'm not suggesting we compare; afterall, we all have unique life experiences and goals along the way. But I was rather high on myself last weekend when I FINALLY hit my 200# squat. Then I looked to see what I "should" be able to do.

I think Natasha hit it dead on when she says you'd need a gym and trainer or spotter to assist. I think that's a MUST. I only share this because I found it fascinating to see what some of the alleged experts believe strong women can / "should be able to" lift.

Enjoy the journey all. It's got to be fun.
mini-natty likes this.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Cathlete

I think the main audience of Cathe won't have the heavy lifting equipment necessary to train up to that weight. Considering the Troylite Barbell holds only up to 100 pounds, and most aren't going to have dedicated equipment for the bigger compound moves. Plus I read so many threads where people complain about having to pull out all this equipment for STS. I'm lucky that I have a full working gym with over 1500 pounds of Olympic plate weight for my leverage machines, several barbells, a full rack of dumbells up to 100 pounds and a few other pieces of equipment. Even with all this, I top out at 230 on a squat, 155 bench and 210 on dead lift. Off the side, I hate dead lifts and I usually sub out for seated dead lifts with a my lower pulley plate machine.

So this leads me to say, I've watched guys who come into my gym and they are simply FRIED by Cathe. It goes like this..."I don't want to do a girl dvd workout" and then its laughable to watch the guy put the barbell down doing Muscle Endurance (where Cathe does that maniacal laugh while working biceps). The beginning of Gym Styles with the 72 pushups, or my all time man-frier...the floor work in Butts and Guts, and lets not even go into CoreMax or any of the core/ab work, haha, I just love it!

Women are a lot stronger then they give themselves credit for, but I'm not all about the weight numbers either. I'm 50/50 on heavy weight training because of injury (and I live to ride my mountainbike) so I'm always training carefully up to a sustainable level and then back off and change up like right now XTrain hits a sweet spot combined with STS.

I am so glad there is a community of women that are into lifting like this website. I like my muscles, no... I love them! I think they are the secret to maintaining a healthy weight and looking good. You can lose weight, but you are a smaller version of yourself, but if you lift, now that's a real definition change!

Great thread !
STS ... #14 complete

Last edited by DirtDiva; 02-05-2013 at 09:07 PM..