Calves are getting bigger

A

amanda12485

I have noticed my calves are getting bigger from doing step and high impact. does anyone know a good way to lean them out, and a solution so they don't get any bigger.

I think high rep, no weight calf work is supposed to help lean them out. Probably doing it as often as possible (4-6 days per week) would help too like the Freestyle or Slim in 6/Slim Series concepts.

Hi-

I posted a thread on calf work several weeks back and since then, I've changed up my program to try to get mine more cut ( but not necessarily bigger).

I am seeing results from doing high rep, no weight calf raises. I do like a kazillion of them on the day I work my legs.. I also play with the angle of the raise ( off a step)..I do some pigeon toed, some with my toes facing outward and some w/ my toes straight.

This is a departure for my usual style of weight training..I'm a heavy weight/lower rep kind of gal, so I was surprised that I was getting the results.

I know that calf muscles are similiar to ab muscles in that genetics play a big part into how they look. Maybe yours develop really easy, so you might want to switch your cardio to running or kickboxing... I've heard several people say that step aerobics and plyo work bulk them up. If you love doing both of those type of workouts, maybe when you are doing them focus more on using your quad, glute and hamstrings during the exercises instead of your calves. As you step or jump, concentrate on putting your power into those muscles and not your calves to execute the move.

Hope that helps, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.