Broken foot at 5th metatarsal but NEED to workout

fitguy

Hello all,
I broke my foot about 2 months ago(slipped off bench at 5:00am workout doing BODYMAX, sheessh). I thought it was just a bad sprain so I kept working out with an ankle brace. My foot would swell a little but I could manage. I am also a black belt in TaeKwonDo so I continued to train but would favor that foot. I noticed that one spot on my foot was really sore when my ankle felt better. I went to orthopedist and I found out last week that I had a break in the 5th metatarsal and need to wear the big plastic boot for 2-3 months. My foot really doesn't hurt so I was wondering if anyone has seen or used a boot/shoe or some device that would be more streamlined that would still allow me to practice TKD and do step routines. I know I should just wait it out and allow foot to heal but it took me along time to develop the stamina to "try" and keep up with Cathe and I just don't want to have to start over. Any help would be appreciated?

I think you should cool it until your foot mends. I had a stress fracture of the foot a few years ago and I know all about that dang boot. One of the reasons you're not feeling pain is because the boot acts to immobilize your foot. If you were to remove it, trust me, the pain would return.

Any set back you have will most likey be minor. I don't think it will take you very long to be back in fighting form with your step work or martial arts, but if you try to do too much too soon you could set yourself back even further. Go easy!

Michele :)

WHile you are healing, concentrate on upper body (weight work, while seated on a ball, or even boxing, but seated on the ball as well) and core work.

I DEFINITELY would NOT do step or TKD at this time.

I have to agree with taking it easy, better to be prudent for a short while than regretful for the long haul.

Trust and respect your body and give it the time it needs to heal. It's an opportunity to mix it up some and get creative. Kathryn, as usual:) has given some great suggestions to start.

<I know I should just wait it out and allow foot to heal>
I think that your quote here says it all. Coming back may be easier than you think, muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Thanks everyone. I knew that waiting would be the smart thing to do. I was just hoping someone had seen something new that would have allowed me to continue. I will rest the foot (pout,pout) :)

I understand your misery cause I'd being going bonkers. You're making a wise, but tough, decision. Hang in there and get creative.:)

Fitguy, if you're allowed to take your foot out of the boot for periods of time during the day, and if you have access to a pool with a deep end, you may want to consider the information I've cut and pasted from a previous post to Cathe regarding waterjogging workouts. Waterjogging can provide a good cardiovascular and muscle endurance workout and is great for those with injuries that entail avoiding impact during recovery.

HTH -

WATER JOGGING WORKOUT FORM POINTERS:

In traditional water jogging and in vertical-body drills, make sure you maintain a straight and strong trunk. Avoid hinging forward from the hips or
curving forward from the spine; also avoid hyperextending (overarching) from the low spine. Maintain a total body position about three degrees
forward from vertical.

In traditional water jogging arm motions, make sure that you do not cross the arms in front of the body and pull the elbows out to the sides; instead
make the arm motions true shoulder flexion and extension forward and back. This recruits the anterior and posterior deltoids more effectively.

In traditional water jogging arm motions as well as “double-uppercuts”, keep your hands fisted, your wrists firm and your arms in a strict 90-degree
flexion at the elbow. Also make sure to complete equal range of motion forward and back. The firmer you keep the arms the more effective the work.

To increase the workload for long-lever arm work, flatten the hands in the direction of the motion and keep the elbow and wrist joints firm.

To increase the workload for long-lever leg work, point the toes and keep the knee and ankle joints firm, using the muscles rather than locking out
the joints. (Conversely, to reduce the workload for long-lever leg work, flex the ankle, but remember to keep that position firm.)

To increase resistance for the upper body, wear resistance mitts for the hands (Speedo brand resistance mitts offer the heaviest resistance due to
increased surface area AND cloth drag resistance.) You can also wear an old, long-sleeved tee-shirt to significantly increase cloth drag resistance.

To increase resistance for the lower body, wear a pair of old athletic shoes that you no longer need for your leg work. (Note that you do NOT want to
wear these for flutter-kick drills.) You can also wear a pair of old, outsized panty-hose-style nylons or tights to significantly increase cloth drag
resistance (make sure to wear a pair at least two sizes larger than you might for regular street wear, so that circulation to the lower body isn’t
constricted).

If you wish to do your water jogging workout routine to music, select music that is between 135 and 145 bpm to start, gauge how effective your
movements are from there, and then change the music selection and bpms as desired.

For prone (face-down) flutter- and frog-kick drills, make sure the entire body from head to foot, is at the waterline; there should be no sagging at
the low back. Also make sure your neck is neutral and not hiking up; keep your chin somewhat tucked.

For seated flutter-kick drills, make sure your hips are directly underneath your shoulders; they should not be drifting forward or hiking back. (This
takes a surprising amount of core work to do!)

USE YOUR IMAGINATION WHEN DESIGNING YOUR
WATER JOGGING WORKOUTS!

WATER JOGGING WORKOUT RESOURCES:

Aqua Jogger
www.aquajogger.com
The original Aqua Jogger belt; videos; accessories

Adolph Kiefer and Associates
www.kiefer.com
“Aqua-Sizer” belt; numerous other products for general aquatic fitness

Hydrofit Aquatic Fitness Gear
www.hydrofit.com
“Wave Belt” belt; numerous other products for general aquatic fitness

Speedo USA
www.speedousa.com
“Aquatic Fitness Belt”; resistance gloves; apparel

Fitness Wholesale
www.fwonline.com
“Aqua Sun Swim Belt” and “Aqua Joggers”; wide variety of products including books / videos, accessories, heart-rate charts and music

The Aquatic Exercise Association
www.aeawave.com
Provides training and certification for aquatic instructors; also has a store of aquatic fitness products and literature.

SAMPLE WATER JOGGING WORKOUT ROUTINE:

COMPLETE CYCLES OF:

Traditional runs 12-count with standard running arms
Traditional runs 12-count with double-uppercuts:
palms in, palms up, palms out; 12 count
(Note: 4 complete runs per count, i.e. 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4,
3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4)

THEN:

Runs + short-lever fisted FAST arm abductions / adductions at waterline
(pec / rear-delt flyes) 12 count
Skis + long-lever palmed arm abductions / adductions at waterline
(pec / rear-delt flyes) 24-count

Runs + flat-hand push-pulls at waterline 12 count
Power skis (long-lever legs toes pointed, long-lever arms hands flat)
24-count

Runs + short-lever fisted lateral delt raises 12 count
JACKS + long-lever flat-hand lateral delt raises
(note: raise arms as you abduct legs; abduct arms as you adduct legs)
24-count

Runs + biceps curls 12 count
Skis + long-lever shoulder flexion / extension flat hands with palms facing
back (24 count)

Runs + LONG-lever fisted FAST arm abductions / adductions at waterline
(pec / rear-delt flyes)
12 count
Skis + long-lever flat-hand abductions / adductions at waterline
(pec / rear delt flyes)
24-count

Runs + flat-hand push-pulls OR breast strokes at waterline 12 count
Power Skis (long-lever legs toes pointed, long-lever arms hands flat)
24-count

Runs with legs abducted + flat-hand upright rows 12 count
JACKS + long-lever flat-hand lateral delt raises
(note: raise arms as you abduct legs; abduct arms as you adduct legs)
24-count

Runs + flat-hand triceps extensions 12-count
Skis + long-lever shoulder flexion / extension palms UP 24-count

Traveling vertical breast strokes for 12; body vertical and static
Traveling vertical “digs back” for 12; body vertical and static
Traveling vertical “reverse breast strokes” for 12; body vertical and static

Anchored flutter / frog kick drills at wall (3 cycles of 12 each)

(Each cycle of this runs about 20 minutes)

SAMPLE WATER JOGGING WORKOUT ROUTINE (cont.):

ADDITIONAL DRILLS:

Anchored dolphin kicks at wall

Seated flutter kick drills (anchored with back to wall; or traveling backward)

Vertical flutter kick drills arms extended overhead (legs; core stabilization)

Vertical hamstring curls arms extended overhead (hams; core stabilization)

Non-traveling skis and jacks arms extended overhead (core stabilization)

Non-traveling runs arms extended overhead (core stabilization)

Runs plus fisted arm rolls (“speed-bag drills”) with the forearms and fists either breaking the surface of the water or directly underneath the
waterline

Runs plus long-arm claps at waterline, short-lever claps with elbows anchored at sides of trunk, and short-lever forearm abduction / adduction with
elbows anchored at sides of trunk (good rotator cuff work)

A-Jock

Hi Fitguy!

WOW...do I understand where you are coming from. I am currently in the screening process for my black belt in TKD with my exam coming up in June. I was sparring last month and ended up straining my achilles tendon and gastocnemius. I've been in a walking boot for 4 weeks...even on my vacation to FL. I had to wear it 24 hrs/day except when I showeredx(

I just got the OK from my orthopedist to go boot free. I'm still in PT but I started back at karate this week. Can't do any pivots or jumps on that leg yet but it is definitly better. My next screening is 4/21 so I need to be 100% by then.

There was no boot or device available and I was told no working out for at least 4 weeks. I know how hard it is to be in your situation but if you don't give yourself time to heal, you could end up needing many more months of recovery. Do you have access to a pool or recumbent bike? That is what I used and it helped.

Take care of yourself now and you'll bounce back to your present level faster than you might expect. Good luck!

JJ

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I have never tried water aerobics before but it sounds like a great workout and just what I need to try to keep up my cardio. JJ Good luck on your black belt exam. It can be tough but a Catheite like yourself should be able to handle it! I also went to Florida over spring break but limped around the whole time like an idiot . x(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.