Breakfast ideas?

LizC7

Cathlete
Hello Everyone - anyone have suggestions for a healthy breakfast that's portable and quick? I usually grab a muffin but sounds like that might have too much fat. And now I hear boxed cereals aren't too great either.

My most recent breakfast is protein fluff. It takes about 3-4 minutes in the blender. 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1/4 cup skim milk, 1 scoop protein powder. Blend on all different speeds to get it all mixed up and fluffy. You are actually whipping air into the "fluff" and it doubles or triples in size. The last 30seconds r so should be at the lowest speed to help get the right consistency. Spoon it into a bowl and eat. Makes ALOT and all for 200-230 calories and about 22 grams of protein depending on which protein powder I use each morning.

I usually eat oatmeal but I keep a batch of oatmeal cookies in the freezer for hurried mornings- just oats, baking powder, mashed sweet potato, applesauce, pureed white beans, flaxseed, and I usually do either a cinnamon/raisin combo or blueberries/lemon zest. Sometimes I do a cocoa powder/dried fruit combo but I find I have to add some sugar to it to balance out the cocoa.

Nutriblast!! I got the Nutribullet and I'm make and take a beverage (grapefruit and strawberries is a personal fav!). Kind bar. Yogurt.

Hello,

We have been doing overnight oats and that has worked very well. Here is a link to the recipe/formula, The Little Epicurean | Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal with Toasted Pecans and Caramelized Bananas. I make a batch of stewed fruit once a week (apples and pears these days) and use that to add in. We add no sweetener to the oatmeal, just water, steel cut oats and a pinch of salt. My fiance LOVES this. One pot will last him 3-4 days of breakfasts.

I also do another version of overnight oats that has rolled oats, and double the liquid (usually half milk/soy milk and half water) in a screw top tupperware and I leave it in the fridge overnight. I microwave it at work for three minutes and add frozen blueberries and almonds, which I take with me to work in a tupperware too. Works well and is very filling and nutritious. I use 1/3 c. oatmeal and 2/3 cup liquid.

I also do frittatas, which can be sliced and taken to work/eaten in the morning after reheating. You can also do the egg mixture and bake it in muffin tins, and take 2-3 of those for a breakfast. Coupled with a piece of fruit that makes for a good breakfast. I use 6 eggs and whatever veggies I have around. You can also add sausage to the egg and that adds even more protein... I use turkey or chicken sausage. Bake on 350 for 10-15 minutes and you have several servings you can take throughout the week. Keep the little egg muffins in the fridge for several days no problem. You can also do one big frittata in a skillet and take slices daily.

I also do tubs of homemade yogurt, or you can buy the bulk and/or individual servings of plain greek yogurt. I add fruit and nuts. I take all of this in tupperwares and just assemble at work.

Nothing may be quite as low maintenance as grabbing a muffin, but with a few minutes and some prep in advance, these are all healthy breakfast choices that are easy to do and very nutritious.

I also make a batch of granola once a week, and that goes on top of plain yogurt, also with fruit for an easy and portable breakfast.

These can all be packed up in a couple of tupperwares, assuming you have a fridge or can port things, they could work for you.

I prep most of these things on Sunday for the week.

Hope that helps,
Eva

I make steel cut oats in my crockpot. I make a large batch and then just heat it up, lasts me about a week. This recipe really makes a lot so I usually half it.
I got this recipe from someone here on the forum and have slightly adapted it to my likings.

2c. steel cut oats
5c water
2c. soy milk, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 chopped apple
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp or more if desired vanilla extract
1 TBSP splenda brown sugar, or regular brown sugar
pecans, chopped
Line your crockpot with a crockpot liner (this is so important, it makes a mess in your crockpot otherwise)
Add all the ingredients and cook overnight. I have found that cooking it all night makes it chewier than I like, so I usually make mine in the day if I have time, or in the evening and cook it only 3-4 hours on low. My friend makes this and cooks it on warm overnight and says it doesn't get chewy that way, I don't have that option on my crockpot.

Hi Liz, I usually have a container of greek yogurt with hard boiled egg or a coating of kashi go lean. I found these bob evans or jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches with egg white and canadian bacon, they are probably not as healthy but they do the trick in a hurry. Oatmeal with 2 egg whites and a splash of sugar free syrup. This is the only thing I eat that is sugar free and it is not often.

Melissa

I do a breakfast sandwich with a toasted english muffin with a sliced, boiled egg. Love it! It's quick, easy to take in the car, and filling!

*I boil my eggs on Sunday for the week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.