botox ... my experience

icklemoley

Cathlete
at only 27 i was, it has to be said, looking older than my years. i am often told i look about 33, plus. years of sun tanning, and not looking after my skin left it worse of the wear. i wanted to try botox but was worried about looking motionless. i had deep lines (3) in my forehead and crows feet around my eyes, which i just didn't want anymore.
13 botox injections, costing me £250.
4 weeks later no one can tell i've had it done (i've told no one). The lines in my forehead are gone completely, and the crows feet are 95% gone. a tiny tiny little line is all that remains. i had still move my eyebrows, but only about 1/2" but my forehead does not crease at all. i cannot frown anymore either.
no one can tell by the way i move my face that i've had it done. before when i would smile alot id get deep creases around my eyes, now i can smile and laugh and nothing. no creases.
this, for me, was something i'd wanted done and i'm happy to say that i'm pleased with the results.
i wanted to share this with you as others out there might be wanting to try something but afraid.
if i could post pictures i would.

> i cannot frown anymore either.

You can't frown anymore? What did you mean by that?
I'm happy you're happy with your results.

I don't need or want to get this done, I was just curious.

Hey Wayne--I've been doing botox for about 4 years now & I absolutely love it. Sounds like yours is quite a bit cheaper than mine--I pay $400 per visit. I just get the area between my eyes done--not my forehead, just the frown lines betw. my eyebrows.

Anyway, no one can tell with me either. :)

I can't frown anymore. I don't think i can give a more simple explaination than by just saying i cannot frown anymore!!!!
i love the results and when people say "oh the can't look normal" its just not the case. no one has can even tell. yet all line(s) made my the raising of your eyebrows, squinting and the smile lines just "vanish". it really is amazing stuff.

IMO botox gives more of a natural look than surgery(think Joan Rivers whose face looks so pulled she now looks Asian-not there's anything wrong with looking Asian, but she obviously isn't). It's safer and cheaper too.

Catherine

more natural than surgery? how natural is it if you've had all these injections and can move your face naturally anymore? You're wrinkle free & fantastic looking as long as you don't make any expressions?
Sorry, I don't get it. Isn't it injecting a toxin in your system?

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

It does give a more natural look than surgery. And BTW your face isn't paralyzed. The muscle movement is reduced and it's temporary so if you don't like it you don't have to do it again. This is an excellent way to "retrain" the muscles. For instance, many people squint alot causing deep furrowing between the eyes and in the brow. By injecting botox you cause that person not to be able to perform this movement as well (again not complete paralysis). With time the wrinkles disappear. The botox does not go sytemically only directly into the muscle that you are using it on.

Catherine

ETA: my point is botox is a safer alternative than general anesthesia and surgery which have way too many potential side effects and is permanent unless you want to undergo another alteration if you don't like what you got. That being said to each his own.

>I can't frown anymore. I don't think i can give a more simple
>explaination than by just saying i cannot frown anymore!!!!
>i love the results and when people say "oh the can't look
>normal" its just not the case. no one has can even tell. yet
>all line(s) made my the raising of your eyebrows, squinting
>and the smile lines just "vanish". it really is amazing
>stuff.
>

That's what I thought you meant. I didn't know it actually made your face sort of paralyzed? I saw a skit on SNL once talking about this. They were saying it was just like putting acid on your face. Is that really true?

I have no lines or wrinkles yet (I'm 37 and have been very lucky so far---zero lines, zero crowsfeet...nothing) but I think when they come, I'll just let them be....who knows? I think I'd be afraid of the doc messing up or something. I'm a big chicken when it comes to stuff like that. I won't even get lasik eye surgery.

:)

I would like to try it but I'm terrified of needles! I have a low tolerance of pain and the thought of a needle stuck in my face doesn't sound worth it for me. :eek: For those who have done it, do you think it was painful?

I'm wondering if anyone who's had Botox gets migraines. I've been told Botox may prevent them in some people.

I just turned 40. People say I don't look it, but I have crows feets/forehead wrinkles/frownie lines. Yeccch! I'm considered Botox, and I wonder if I'll see a reduction in migraines. That alone would make it totally worth it.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I think for migraine treatment the botox is injected into scalp muscles, not the lines around your face.
Beth

I have to say, before reading the initial post I was thinking to myself "Oh, please let this be good, please be o.k., please be o.k.". I have heard very few bad stories about botox, most of the bad stuff is "way out there" stuff found on Nip/Tuck.

Anyways, I am so happy that it was such a wonderful experience for you and that you are so pleased with the results. Good for you for doing something that you have always wanted to do. I am judging from the outcome that you did your research to make sure everything was on the "up" and you carefully weighed the pro's and con's and made a well thought out decision...GREAT!

Again, Congratulations to you and great job doing something that you really wanted. Being happy with yourself is priceless!

Although I have never had Botox, I know some women who have taken the plunge, and they were very happy with the results. My philosopy is that a person should do what makes her happy, and I would not knock anybody for having cosmetic procedures. Likewise, I understand if it is your choice not to have it. I don't think that a person is better than another if she chooses not to do it.

One of the reasons we all exercise is to look our best. I want to congratulate the poster on having a good experience with it.

i wanted it done because i was unhappy with the lines i have at 27, but also, i'm very lean, which means i have very little fat (which helps plump up the fat) which can make lines more obvious.
i have have a very smooth forehead and little to no lines around my eyes. this for me, is amazing.
i can still move my face in the same way, i can still raise my eyebrows, and no one can tell by the way i use my face. when direct sunlight hits my face now i don't frown.
i was worried that people would be able to tell i've had it done, but now i've done it, i would do it again and again.

How do you know people don't know you've had it done? They might notice, but just not say anything (botox is more noticeble than people think).

Well, I know b/c when I've told people they're shocked. But again, I get a very small area done--I still have the wrinkles on my forehead & around the eyes--they don't bother me so much. It's the frown lines that bother me.

Also bear in mind that while botox is technically considered a toxin, there's barely enough "poison" in it to kill an ant.

The injections are not at all painful, the needle just goes into the surface of the skin. Although I do have a pretty high pain threshold--I'm sure this varies from person to person.

I get my injections every 10 weeks. I believe 12 weeks is recommended, but I like to get it done before the wrinkles start to show again.

Would someone with any bit of tact say anything but that they couldn't tell that someone has had botox? I was watching QVC the other day and there is a woman who sells mood matcher lipsticks and she would smile and her mouth would not turn up and she formed no facial creases around her mouth. Next to the showhost she looked ridiculous!

People can tell, they are just too gracious to say anything!

Who cares if they can tell...what difference does it make? "Maybe" it is more obvious than wearing full a bodied sign around the neck that says "I HAD BOTOX"...who cares if it is noticeable and everyone is being gracious? Maybe they really can't tell!

Correct me if I am wrong, but he never said he was happy "because no one can tell". I interpretted his post to say he is happy because HE sees a positive change in his appearance, something that once bothered him is now gone.

Let him be happy...why care? Be happy for him!

Thanks for sharing your stories Wayne & Laura! :)

For what it's worth, my DH is starting to get teeny tiny lines around his eyes...he's 34. I think it looks very distinguished looking and nice on a man. JMHO.

:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.