Bicep strength

Perhaps get yourself some platemates. These are low weight magnetic weights that attach onto your dumbells. Using these makes it easier to increase your weights since you don't have to jump from 12's to 15's or from 15's to 20's, etc.

For biceps, I used 1.25 lb. platemates when I was ready to move off my 15's, but wasn't yet ready for the 20's. It worked out great, and I was eventually able to go up to 20's. I believe they come in smaller increments too.

Shelbygirl

Not to hijack the thread, but Shelbygirl, do you know if platemates work on neoprene-coated dumbbells? I have a hard time increasing my bicep weights, but all I have are the neoprene dumbbells.

Thannks!
Bunbun

If you have a barbell set, get the smaller (dumbell size) hand grips and make your own...I DID have to 5 one pound plates, but that was SLICK...I had the same problem you're having, and that was my saving grace...Think I spent about $30 total, and can now make my own "heavy" dumbbells...
MJ

>I have the hardest time trying to up my weights without total
>fatigue.

Actually, "total fatigue" is what you're looking for is you want to increase strength. If you do a workout that fatigues the muscle, the muscle will rebuild stronger (if givne enough recovery in the form of nutrition and time off from working that muscle).

You can increase bicep strength by doing negative reps (not too often, they are very tiring). On the last set of bicep concentration curls (once a week), use a bit heavier weight than you would usually (ie: if you use 10#, go to 12#, Platemates, as others have mentioned, are great for this, and for increasing weight in general in a more doable increment). Do as many as you can with good form, then when you can no longer do a positive rep, use your opposite hand to help you get the weight into position, then lower with control under your own power. Do 3 or 4 of these "assisted, negative reps."

Anne, is there someone around who could spot you? That's typically how I increase my weights. Once I'm able to do 3 sets of 10, I increase the weight on my 3rd set. If it's biceps I'm only increasing it by 2.5 lbs (per arm of course :) ). On the 3rd set, if I can't make it to 8 reps, I'll have someone stand in front of me & give me a little assistance, like a slight pushing of my forearm, on the last few reps.

I usually ask someone at the gym, but I bet you could put your kids or hubby to good use for this. ;-)

Bunbun,

I have to admit that I don't even know what neoprene is! I'm guessing it's some sort of plastic coating? My dumbbells are just the regular metal kind, so I'm not really sure if the Platemates would work on yours. The magnets are pretty strong, however, so if you are referring to the plastic coated kind, assuming there's metal inside, they would probably work.

Look up Platemates on the internet and I bet you'll be able to have your question answered.

Shelbygirl

Try doing biceps first while they are fresh.You do want total fatigue but if your trying to up your poundage you may want to do a set with fewer reps in the 4-8 range.For me I only do a wt I can do 2-8 reps.Most of the time if I can do 6 I go ahead and up the wt.Good luck in your quest.

Thanks for the advice.
I think i am gonna have to buy some 1 lb,s to add on.
I can do 25 on the barbell and 10-12 lbs with weights.
I am shooting for 15 and 30 now. It is just so hard. I want to swing the weights.I just want to build up my arms and shoulders.

At times the barbell hits the floor.
Anne

>> I want to swing the weights.

Actually, there is a form of "controlled cheating" that you can use to eke out a few more reps on barbell bicep curls. But you have to "cheat" with good form. Go down into a shallow squat when you lower the weight, then push up through your legs (the power should come through the legs, NOT the lower back--with a swing that can risk injury to the lower back) on the way up to add a bit of momentum to the move and help you get the weight up. Remember, it's all in a push through the legs, NOT in a swing through the back. Then lower with control. Only do this as long as you can keep the "cheat" in the legs.

Though if you look at some bodybuilders (like Lisa Lyons in the film "Pumping Iron II: the Women," they can really get into swinging dumbells when doing bicep curls (again, not a technique I would endorse or recommend).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.