Best way to steam veggies?

hokypoky

Cathlete
I have a 3 piece steamer I bought from Tupperware. You put a couple Tbsp of water in the bottom, the veggies in the slotted middle rack and the lid on top. But you microwave them. Is this ruining the vegetables? I like it because it's so easy - put in the veggies, press 5 on the microwave! Should I look at better options?

Thanks!

It's always been my understanding that veggies actually retain more of their nutrients when microwaved. I think it's a perfectly healthy way to prepare them.

Michele

Dayna,
Why, no. I don't think you're ruining the veggies at all. Sounds like the perfect way to steam veggies to me. I used to put them in a plastic bag in the microwave, but stopped because my Mom kept nagging me that the plastic was somehow leeching into the veggies. Your way sounds perfect and very healthy!

-Nancy

I have often thought of buying one of those rice steamers, they are about $25.00-$35.00 I think.

I just don't know if I want another kitchen gadget that I will end up not using very much.

:)

I've been steaming in the microwave and find I like it much better than dropping them in boiling water. They're definitely more crisp.

Well actually, I've heard just the opposite - that nutrients are destroyed in the microwave. And that when you nuke something in a plastic container, you run the risk of getting CFC's from the plastic in your food. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that for years.

I actually read, and not on a conspiracy theory website :) , the same as Shannon ( I think it might have even been in Prevention) but that it really only applied with "leafy green" veggies like broccoli, spinach, kale, etc. I always use a metal steamer basket in a regular saucepan, but I actually steam a HUGE amount of veggies in one batch, as many as I can fit in the pan, (I do different kinds all in one batch, just throw them in at different times), let them cool and then into the fridge. They are perfect for meals, to put in a wrap, eat as a side dish cold, put in a salad, etc. I do the same for roasted veggies, these have both become my mainstay.
HTH,
Mattea:)

This steamer is the only plastic thing I put in the microwave. It's very rigid and thin plastic - don't know if that makes a difference.

Ummm...roasted veggies - I love those!

My understanding is that microwaving your veggies is perfectly healthful as long as you use a glass container with a minimal amount of water. Actually, I think the amount of water you add is what really impacts the vitamin/nutrient content as a lot of water will leach out the flavenoids.

Michele

I steam my veggies in a ziplock back in the microwave every day. They always turn out perfect. I bought a steamer a couple months ago and took it back after using once because it took like 20 minutes (vs. the 3 minutes it take in the micro) and it made my cupboards all wet no matter how far to the edge of the counter I pulled it out. Last thing I wanted to do was warp my wood.

Katie

I use a black and decker steamer. I steam broccili, cauliflower and carrots sprinkled with dill, zuccinni and squash won't cook them any other way. If you look in small appliances they are between 19.99-25.99 my mom had a hard time finding one I got my first one at wal-mart and the second one at Meijer.

beth6395

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.