Apples vs Applesauce

cheval

Cathlete
I've heard Cathe say to eat Apples vs Applesauce for clean eating. Does this include Natural Applesauce? If it's natural, with no added sugar, is applesauce still not as good as Apples? If so, what's the difference between that and blending up fruit in a smoothie? Just curious and I'm sure you folks can explain it to me. :)

Thanks,
April

I much prefer applesauce sans added ingredients which seems clean enough to me. The only difference is that you aren't getting the same fiber content as you would eating the actual apple, skin and all.

I eat 1/2 to 1 cup of natural applesauce a day.

DH went to the corner store and brought back just any old applesauce jar. I didn't realize it, measured out my 1/2 cup and took a bite. I promptly handed it to him. I just couldn't eat it. I didn't like it.

But I do like my natural applesauce. I get the 1/2 cup snack packs and use them for snacks at work. Quick, easy, and no mess.

Good point about the fiber. But if I'm getting plenty of fiber elsewhere, probably not too much of a worry, right?

And applesauce isn't my only fruit. I often have strawberry smoothies and dried fruit is a favorite.

Thanks,
April

I eat all natural apple sauce, I have braces and eating apples can be a challenge. I have to peel them first so apple sauce is easier

In his _Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle_ book, Tom Venuto also talks about this issue. He says that apples are more of an "A"-quality food since they come right off the tree and have the benefits of fiber. Natural applesauce is still good for you, but is more of a "B"-quality food since it doesn't have the skin's fiber benefits. He recommends eating mostly "A" and "B" quality foods, so it seems like the natural applesauce should still be fine! :)

Leanne

We make our own applesauce and keep the skins on. You cannot even tell. My mom-in-law has some gizmo that gets all the skin mashed up w/the apples and it tastes great! My two DDs love it as well.

Mary

I have read somewhere that eating one apple wakes you up just as much as one cup of coffee. It certainly is a lot of effort to eat a chewy apple, guess it wakes you up? Not that what I just posted really has anything to do with the original question...

Natural apple sauce isn't that bad, but it's not as good as a whole apple. If you made your own unsweetened applesauce using the peels (from organic apples), I'd consider that 'clean.' One additional problem with store-bought applesauce (besides not being "whole") is that it's been in a jar for a while, exposed to light, then when you open it, it's exposed to oxygen, both of which reduce nutrients. If you made your own, you'd eat it much closer to the time you made it.

>He says that apples are more of an
>"A"-quality food since they come right off the tree and have
>the benefits of fiber. Natural applesauce is still good for
>you, but is more of a "B"-quality food since it doesn't have
>the skin's fiber benefits.

I think that's a good way of looking at it!
Eating for an "A" average still means allowing some "B" foods!

(One raw food book I have rates foods based on three criteria: raw, organic, fresh. If a food has all three, it's an "A" food. Two out of three is a "B." And one out of three is "C." Anything else is not acceptable--in this author's book. I think the same kind of thing can be done with any way of eating. Just choose 3 important criteria---one could be 'whole'--and go from there).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.