Anyone use Perricone or other brand Face cream?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I am looking to add a beauty regimen. I currently use soap, SPF, eye/neck cream (whatever is on sale) in the morning and soap, eye/neck cream at night.

Mainly just to prevent the signs of aging. I keep hearing about Perricone and have read a lot of reviews and people seem to like it. It is expensive, but I don't mind spending money...IF it is worth it.

My confusion with his line is that there are SO many options and also some regimens call for 6+ products to be worn at a time. I find that crazy and I really can't stand the feeling of anything on my face (hence my very very basic current regimen). I have never worn liquid foundation (don't like the feel) and you have to bribe me to even wear a light powder for make-up. Therefore, I can't imagine wearing multiple products on my face. Also, wouldn't multiple products cause break-outs?

Any recommendations of Perricone or other brands is appreciated.

Hey Gobias:

I know what you mean about the simultaneous application of multiple products. I read magazines and they always feature articles on "anti-aging facial creams" and "what female dermatologists use on their faces," etc.

I was actually stunned to read recently the recommendation by dermatologists to do all this layering: a serum, followed by a moisturizer (isn't serum a form of moisturizer?), followed by sunscreen. Heavens above, no!

I'm with you: I cannot apply that much. I cannot tolerate it and seriously, I think it would slide right off my face or make me look and feel like an oil slick. If the only way these other ladies can achieve this is by waiting for 2o mins in between applications to let each layer dry, well, I'm outa here: people to meet, places to go, things to do!

So, I usually cleanse (with water), apply moisturizer and eye cream at face and at night, with heavier formulas for night, with retinol.

In the last year, I have seen a noticeable change from greasy and oily to a drier complexion with less break outs. Hence, I now have to apply moisturizer even on summer days, but I never did this in the past.

I cannot afford expensive products, or at least, I buy them as occasional treats when I feel I deserve it and receive discount codes via email. I use the Clinique "Radically Different" moisturizer in fall and winter: the creamier one, not the oil free one (the latter is useless now). I alternate this with a cream from the Elemis range which I get online called "Pro-Radiance Illuminating Flash Balm" (largely plant oils based). I adore this stuff for fall and winter. It is rich and creamy, sinks in quickly and completely and leaves my face and neck velvety to the touch. More so than any other product I have tried. For summer, I am using a lighter formula of theirs, one for day, one for night.

At night, I again alternate products. I got a retinoid cream from prescription: big tube, $10, lasts several months. This is the strongest retinol formulation available, and you need small amounts of it. I can't tolerate it every night, I ted to apply it only twice per week because some patches of skin on my face will peel and I like to keep this to a minimum. But, you can use it around the eye area on crows feet, which I have, thanks to decades of contact lense wear. On other nights, I use a lighter, cheap, drug store, night wear retinol cream by Neutrogena. This sinks in easily, no stickiness, even in summer now and I like it.

I have no experience with Perricone. I never will. I simply don't have the $ for it.

I don't think there are any perfect regimens. You cannot eliminate the ravages of time. No-one can "get rid of wrinkles and crows feet." Once you have them, you have them. We can only minimize the look of them and try to hydrate the skin to slow the aging process, and make ourselves feel better.

If you can afford the Perricone line, give it a whirl. Get a serum or lighter but complex moisturizer for day (anti-oxidants and hyaluronic acid are recommended) and a night cream for night (retinol still produces the best results).

I would like to try the Clarins range, sigh..... dream on.

If you have the cash, why not experiment? In 6 months, evaluate and decide whether you like the feel, smell, results and cost. Is it still worth it to you?

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Clare

I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of Paula's Choice. Prices are reasonable, she has NO unnecessary ingredients (fragrance, for example, which does not agree with my face!), and I have a regimen using her stuff that has worked wonders on my sensitive skin. I use her Resist Toner (after DHC Oil cleanser at night, a sulfur-based soap in the morning - the only two non-PC products I use), then either the 2% or 9% BHA for exfoliating, then the Clinical strength retinol. This takes me no time, my skin looks great, and the retinol DOES in fact lessen (dramatically) the appearance of wrinkles. I'm thrilled with it and have been a PC fan for many years.

I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of Paula's Choice. Prices are reasonable, she has NO unnecessary ingredients (fragrance, for example, which does not agree with my face!), and I have a regimen using her stuff that has worked wonders on my sensitive skin. I use her Resist Toner (after DHC Oil cleanser at night, a sulfur-based soap in the morning - the only two non-PC products I use), then either the 2% or 9% BHA for exfoliating, then the Clinical strength retinol. This takes me no time, my skin looks great, and the retinol DOES in fact lessen (dramatically) the appearance of wrinkles. I'm thrilled with it and have been a PC fan for many years.

Same here...Been using it for years. The girls at work are now using it based on my results!

Hi! Perricone did not do anything for me with the exception of decreasing the balance of my bank account. I bought one of the eye creams twice and a face cream once and saw no results. Sounds like you already have a good routine. Keep using spf, that is key. I hate to say this, but genetics will determine how and when your skin will age. Of course you can delay the process by using spf, eating well, drinking water to keep your body hydrated, not smoking, not drinking alcohol regularly, etc. But no cream/serum/magic potion will stop the aging process completely. I look at my mom and dad, they are both in their 70s and they both have great skin, almost no wrinkles, no sagging skin, no age spots, nobody and I mean nobody can believe their age. Neither of them spends money on dermatologists or plastic surgeons and my mom's beauty routine consists of Pond's cold cream and Olay! :eek: I think the beauty industry wants us to believe that the more money we spend on products the greater our chances to maintain a youthful look and that is not necessarily the case. When you start seeing signs of aging a visit to a dermatologist can help you as well, they can prescribe medications that are sometimes cheaper and more effective than high end beauty products.

One of our PhD students introduced me to Paula's Choice years ago. Quality products backed up by legitimate scientific publications...and they are VERY affordable! The young lady (now a well published doctor) is currently working in R&D for a German pharmaceutical company and said if she ever lost this position she'd apply to Paula's Choice in a heartbeat! BTW, my skin looks awesome!

Thanks for the info ladies about paula choice. I just ordered some samples. Looking forward to trying them.

I use Derma E Psorzema for my after shower moisturizer on my face, I wash my face with raw honey (apply before I get in the shower, leave it on while I lather up with my Derma E eczema wash and Allaffia body wash).

I use Alba Very Emollient unscented original body lotion. It has no parabens, no phthalates, and it or normal to dry sensitive skin. Are you nourish brand organic raw Shea butter on my elbows, my heels, and any other rough spots. It works great to fill in any roughness due to dry air. I buy it at Vita cost.

I use the inexpensive zinc oxide sunscreen that is supposed to be clear, but it's a little white, it's fragrance free and doesn't make my skin peel.

All of that said, I have got to say, that I think it's my vitamins and supplements that have made more of a difference to my skin. I take cosmeceutical sciences Institute Omega seven skin formula and I also take vita cost brand olive leaf. Both of those have made a dramatic improvement in my skin. My skin improved in terms of moisture. And, my eczema skin healed and repaired itself. I also drink 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice and a little bit of water to wash it down. It does take like salad dressing, however, it made a big difference to my skin. I think it's the fact that the olive oil is raw.

Thanks all for the feedback. Glad to know I am not the only one not putting 10 products on my face. I was getting suspicious because the items recommended to me had a lot of overlap with the great ingredient. For example, DMAE was in the face wash, the serum, the treatment, the moisturizer and the spf. Why apply it so many times?

When I do splurge on a facial or a body massage, the first thing I do is race home and wash all that stuff off my body - I know I am supposed to sleep in the luxurious products, but I really can't stand anything on my body or face.

I will definitely look into the stated brands (have never heard of most of them).

CLARE - what prescription retinoid did you get for 10 bucks? I got Retin-A Micro Gel 0.1% Gel 45gram tube before and it was almost $500.00!

All that being said, the day I posted this and before I saw any responses, Perricone was having a 60% off sale of certain items. I am on travel and won't be able to try them until I return, but am thinking if there are other items out there that work for less, will try that. Even with the 60% off, it was quite pricey.

Any recommendations on SPF? I currently use Pre-Sun (although they stopped making it!!!) and now SmartShield. Both feel like gel so they dry fast and don't feel slimy. I also have La Roche Posay (I like it, but again, I just can't get over the feeling of having gunk on my face and body).

Thanks again, all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.