Anyone taking Activella?

melagras

Cathlete
My ob/gyn gave me the option of HRT or continuous birth control pills. I was going to start taking the Activella starting Sunday but now I'm not so sure. There are a lot of side effects one of which is weight gain. I am busting my ass working out as it is. I refuse to gain any more weight. Any thoughts?

I'm not taking Activella but I am a pharmacist. I looked at the prescribing information (http://www.novo-pi.com/activella.pdf), which summarizes the side effects reported during clinical trials performed to obtain approval from FDA of the drug. Weight loss is a possible side effect, although weight gain is considered more common. Fluid retention is a possible side effect. None of the women taking the drug to treat menopausal hot flashes in studies lasting 3 months experienced weight gain. Nine percent of women taking the drug for 2 years to prevent osteoporosis gained weight, but 6% of women in these studies taking placebo (a sugar pill) gained weight. Please keep in mind that many women participating in the studies were not exercising or watching what they ate the way you are. I hope this places into perspective for you the risk of weight gain. It strikes me as unlikely that you'll gain weight while taking Activella if you continue to work out and eat sensibly as you always have, but ask your ob/gyn if you are concerned. You didn't say for how long you plan to take the drug.

I'm not taking Activella but I am a pharmacist. I looked at the prescribing information (http://www.novo-pi.com/activella.pdf), which summarizes the side effects reported during clinical trials performed to obtain approval from FDA of the drug. Weight loss is a possible side effect, although weight gain is considered more common. Fluid retention is a possible side effect. None of the women taking the drug to treat menopausal hot flashes in studies lasting 3 months experienced weight gain. Nine percent of women taking the drug for 2 years to prevent osteoporosis gained weight, but 6% of women in these studies taking placebo (a sugar pill) gained weight. Please keep in mind that many women participating in the studies were not exercising or watching what they ate the way you are. I hope this places into perspective for you the risk of weight gain. It strikes me as unlikely that you'll gain weight while taking Activella if you continue to work out and eat sensibly as you always have, but ask your ob/gyn if you are concerned. You didn't say for how long you plan to take the drug.
I think he said for a year. I doubt I'll go more than two years. I've been on the pill since 1980 so I'm not experiencing the same issues that other women who aren't on the pill. I can't deal with any more weight gain. If I hadn't been using Cathe's workouts and P90X, I would probably weigh over 150 by now. I've stayed around 136 for the past couple of years.

I took Activella for years. I did not gain any weight on it at all. If it were up to me, I would still be taking it, but my ob/gyn is weaning me off it because I've been on it the maximum number of years. Now I'm having hot flashes, my migraines are back, & I feel like a witch...

I took Activella for years. I did not gain any weight on it at all. If it were up to me, I would still be taking it, but my ob/gyn is weaning me off it because I've been on it the maximum number of years. Now I'm having hot flashes, my migraines are back, & I feel like a witch...
Sorry to hear that. I guess it will be my turn in a couple of years.

I am not on anything yet, but at my last physical my ob-gyn asked me if I wanted to go the usual route with hormone replacement therapy or if I wanted to check into other clinics that use natural replacement hormone therapy. I know there are a lot of places in my state that now treat women with natural replacement hormone therapy and I have been hearing a lot about it in the news for several years. My doctor does not have this option at the clinic where she works, which means that if I were to go for it, insurance would probably not cover it. I do not know if the drug you were talking about falls into that category or not. I have a feeling when I get to the time when I need to take something, it's going to cost me. Treatment for women always seems to cost a lot no matter what you do:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.