Anyone else think that Jari's R&C is bo-rrrring?

rose2boys

Cathlete
I was very excited to get this, but didn't like it very much. Of course, its pretty similar to Slim &Lean which is another one that i thought was kinda boring (yet effective).

My fave of Jari's is Ripped 1000, Ripped to the Core is 2nd. Still, I don't know waht it is, but no one can compare to Cathe for me!

rose2boys

Keep smiling & sweating!

I didn't buy Jari's R&C, but I bought 3 of her other workouts about a year ago at Ross because they were only $6.00 each. In that time, I have only done each one once and I workout 6 days a week. I'm sure they are very effective and they were challenging, but the "fun factor" was missing for me.
I agree with you that no one campares with Cathe. She is just the best!:)

Gin

Jari Love freaks me out for some reason. :eek: I cannot stand her workouts, and I am sure she is a sweetheart and all, but its Cathe for me, with some Billy Blanks (old stuff) thrown in for good measure-oh and Tony Horton too-whatta cutie that hunk a man is!:9

Well I admit, I like Jari's calm and effective workouts. I DO think she could use a sandwich though...and everyone can afford her.... Cathe, as I've said before is way too 80's for me in the LONG workouts - when HIIT is more efficient....(but yes, I still love her and she always drags me back..)

I just couldn't listen to her annoying "motivational" speaches and about the "burning carbs" nonsense. Her first workout was OK, I think I still have it, but I got rid of the rest of the DVDs pretty soon after doing them once.

I find hi rep/low weight workouts boring in general. Jari's is no exception. I must admit that I get great results from her workouts, but after three weeks I can't take it any longer and I move on. Too bad, because my bod responds well to this type of training.

I've never liked Jari's workouts. I have no patience for her workouts and quite frankly, she looks a little freaky to me in a too-much-plastic surgery/botoxed-me-right-into-oblivion kind of way.

She maintains she's never had plastic surgery though, according to that NY Times article that was discussed in the Ask Cathe forum. So what's up with that? heehee.

Susan L.G.

I've only tried Get Ripped and Slim 'n Lean. Get Ripped definitely has the fun factor for me, but Slim 'n Lean got boring after a few months. I did buy Ripped to the Core, but didn't even try it after previewing it. I still do Get Ripped regularly, but that's the only one I'm really fond of.

I agree that the woman REALLY needs a sandwich!

I've actually never tried one of these because I cannot get past how starved Jari looks. Her picture in that Times article also scared me. And then the article went on to praise her toned physique and abs and I can't even see abs, just ribs??? Is she just naturally that thin? It's such a HUGE contrast to Cathe's pic in the same article. She is the poster child for the healthy fit look. I'm just a little concerned about the message they are sending by praising the skin and bones look as being the picture of health and finess.

I like to have a high fun factor in my workouts too, so it looks like I will not be trying any of these anytime soon. Thanks for the heads up!

I've read the responses posted so far, and it seems none of you have tried Ripped and Chiselled, but are judging it by the other Ripped workouts. As one who has actually tried R&C, I thought it much better than S&L, RTTC, and R1000. Jari is much less scripted and doesn't go into the carb and calorie talk. There is also none of that annoying voiceover prior to each segment.

I liked it. I'm glad I gave it a chance, because I was also burnt out on the annoyances of the other workouts. The only segments I thought were boring were the bicep sections - there were two of them back-to-back and I thought it a bit overkill. But since they are at the end of the workout, I figure I could just do one of them and be done with it.

Diane

I like Ripped and Chiseled a lot. I did it this week and it kicked my butt. I've personally met Jari (I know I know) and she is such a sweetheart that it is hard for me not to like her. She is my 2nd favorite instructor after Cathe but she has a special place in my heart because it was her workouts I started with last year when I decided to start working out again and I guess I needed (and appreciated) the motivational talk. I don't so much anymore, but that's just her style and the workouts are good enough that I can get past it. I think out of all of them, Ripped to the Core is my favorite.

I knew just from watching the video clip at Collage that I would be bored out of my mind doing this DVD. Thank goodness for video previews - I don't spend wasted money now ordering DVDs I'm going to hate.

I *might* pick this up when it shows up at Ross. The clip I have on one of my DVD's looked really good, but I got ticked off that this workout had been filmed for so long but they refused to release it so it wouldn't interfere with Jari's prss for her other workouts. After the wait, I expected to hear phenominal reviews as in great music, new and creative moves, and abs (not a recycled ab section from a previous workout...why even bother with that?).

I do get in the mood for Jari's workouts when I'm stressed and want a calm delivery.
Angela

>I've actually never tried one of these because I cannot get
>past how starved Jari looks. Her picture in that Times
>article also scared me. And then the article went on to
>praise her toned physique and abs and I can't even see abs,
>just ribs??? Is she just naturally that thin? It's such a
>HUGE contrast to Cathe's pic in the same article. She is the
>poster child for the healthy fit look. I'm just a little
>concerned about the message they are sending by praising the
>skin and bones look as being the picture of health and finess.
>

I don't think she's naturally thin, because somewhere recently I read that she used to weigh 165 lbs. and now weighs 122, on a 5'7" frame. And in one of her earlier videos she says "I've been overweight, I know what it's like..." so I think her skinniness is a result of great (too great) effort on her part. I agree that she is too thin. Everyone is different and probably there are some people who are 5'7" and 122 lbs. and they look lovely, but I do not think that weight suits Jari's body at all. I think it was inappropriate for the reporter to make such a big deal about Jari's body, throwing in the quote from someone that they would LOVE to have her body, without throwing in quotes from other people who would love to have the bodies of the other instructors. It all just feeds into the Skinny-Is-The-Only-Important-Thing mentality. It's very discouraging.

> I agree that she is too thin. Everyone is different
>and probably there are some people who are 5'7" and 122 lbs.
>and they look lovely, but I do not think that weight suits
>Jari's body at all. I think it was inappropriate for the
>reporter to make such a big deal about Jari's body, throwing
>in the quote from someone that they would LOVE to have her
>body, without throwing in quotes from other people who would
>love to have the bodies of the other instructors. It all just
>feeds into the Skinny-Is-The-Only-Important-Thing mentality.
>It's very discouraging.

I agree.

I thought Jari looked great in her original workout: thin, but not in need of a feeding! Then, by the time the other workouts came out, and I started seeing her ribs (not 'ab muscles'), even when she really wasn't stretching out, I was turned off. And when she called our attention to her and Laurie's changed appearance, and said that it was from doing the Ripped program, I thought Laurie looked great, but was thinking "If doing Ripped gives me a body like Jari, I think I won't be doing Ripped very often!"

Hi everyone:

I have not revceived Jari's new tape yet but I should probably get it today or tomorrow. but I have just recently purchased some of her other tapes. I have tried the original Ripped, Slim & Lean and Ripped to the core. I have Rippped 1000 but have not tried it yet.

So far I like her tapes. I do not think she is boring. I feel challenged. I do not think that I would want to just use these videoa alone, but as a part of a rotation with a mixture of other cardio and weight training they fit right in.

I usually like to use a total body high rep tape toward the end of the week. For example, if I did a 4 day heavier weight training for one or two body parts per day then day 5 would be a good day for one of Jari's workouts.

As far as Jari appearance goes. I not worried because weight training is not the only thing that effects weight, it also matteres what you eat and how much and I know I eat enough so that I would not ever be as thin as Jari. Beside I love Cathe's tapes and that is the core of my fittness program. But sometimes it is nice to add some variety.

I also add tapes like Calenectics, Yoga w/Baron Baptiste and Bille Blanks Boot Camp Series on occasion.

Well that is just my oppinion.

Cberube

Her obvious underweight situation aside, she is a warm and sweet lady - I sent her company an email thanking her for making kick butt workouts that everyone can afford (ahem, snm you listening???) - and she sent me back a personal message - and her whole gang works together - they seem like very nice down to earth folks.

That being said, Ripped 1000 is a killer, I love Slim and Lean, most love RTTC, but I like the other two more...she is not worse than Cathe, nor better, just different! And sometimes the quiet tone and "get it done" mood is perfect for a Jari video! I can't listen to more than 3 minutes of Amy Bento - grates on my nerves...so there's someone for everyone I guess huh?

Hmm...I did this one this morning for the first time. I don't know, I have mixed feelings on this one. I might have to do it a few more times to see how I feel about it, but I almost don't want to! I have other workouts I'd rather do! I don't really find a difference between this one and Slim & Lean, which I did yesterday. I really like Ripped the best out of all her workouts!

I have all of Jari's, but only do them very infrequently, for variety. I know when I've memorized the weight routines on a Cathe, its time to switch it up. I did R&C for the first time last week. I found it to be very lacking for lower body, but pretty darn good for upper. It was the first time I've ever had DOMS from Jari. Yeah, she's a tad annoying, but not to the point of can't stand to look at her (that's Mindy Mylrea for me).

For lower body torture (so sore I had to take a rest day the next day), try Amy's slo mo legs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.