Anyone else bugged by....

nkuangel

Cathlete
Diets that ask you to completely cut out or severely limit food groups such as fruits and healthy carbs? I just got my P90X and find that the diet is not only unrealistic but also unhealthy. I do not believe in "diets" that ask you to practically live off supplemental drinks and only one serving of fruit or two condiments, this is not compatible with life.
What is so wrong with eating by the food guide pyramid, actually if we lived by that standard we would be eating nothing but healthy things we would not have time to eat crap. I guess I am just frustrated because this so called "diet" is not compatible with everyday life. I am a college student and when most of my friends are out drinking or eating out I pack my lunch with some type of fruit, good carb or protein and I am doing just fine. I have been steadily losing weight while gaining muscle mass and strength.

I guess I am just writing this because I get tired of hearing the word "diet" because I don't consider what I am doing a diet its just eating healthy. So any of you P90Xer's follow the diet exactly, closely or not at all and what kind of results did you get?

I do know what you mean. I've had to deal with my FIL picking carrots out of his salad and my BIL asking his wife if watermelon is one his "diet." OK, I get the concept of glycemic index. But do carrots make us overweight? I think what pushes me to the edge is that they do these things in front of my daughters, and though I haven't asked them to stop, I have explained to my girls that fruits and vegetables are not our enemies! And I'd prefer for the word "diet" not to be part of their vocabularies, at least in terms of losing weight. I agree -- if we eat healthy, whole foods, and listen to our hunger cues, surely we can't be too far off base!

Allison

When I received the P90X diet plan I just laughed. Gee, how the heck are you supposed to get through those workouts without carbs-the good kind? Give me a break already. Good carbs are good for you, bad carbs, like bad fats, bad proteins that contain too much fat, obviously are not that great for you. But they seriously limited the carbs. Even bodybuilders right up until the second or third month out from a contest eat carbs, how are you supposed to have energy for cardio and weights? Sigh. I hate extremes in anything, yet I still from time to time impose them on myself.

There was an error made in the nutritional charts. Please go to beachbody & ask them where you can find the corrected version. One of the coaches over there should be able to help you.

Kathy:D

>There was an error made in the nutritional charts. Please go
>to beachbody & ask them where you can find the corrected
>version. One of the coaches over there should be able to help
>you.
>
>Kathy:D

I bought P90X about 4 years ago and the nutrition plan was really good, with definitely enough carbs. Kathy has a good advice, contact them for the correct menu.

Allison,
I totally agree with you about how weird our vocabulary is in this regard...it's just like considering going off a healthy eating plan "cheating"...I hate that! I'd rather say indulging...because cheating is a "bad" word. I also think it's not used in proper context because it's used to say we're "cheating" on our healthy eating plan but in reality, we're just cheating our own bodies when we eat that way. Weird huh?:D

Same here, I found the diet info to be really good. My understanding is to start out with phase one and then if you find you don't have enough energy then up the carbs.

Susan N

<Even bodybuilders right up until the second or third month out from a contest eat carbs, how are you supposed to have energy for cardio and weights?>

Heck, how do you do the #2 without some healthy fibrous carbs in the diet? In that case "No pain no gain" is not a good thought....

I don't know about the P90X diet, but I am totally fruserated w/ all the "diets" I feel like it is not that hard to eat good and we all know what we should be eating. WE just choose to not eat that way or we choose to eat that way. These "diets" are only temporary. If you can't stay on it forver then when you stop it you usually gain weight back. So not healthy to go up and down.

Yes and I pay no attention to them at all. Eating plans that require you to give up complete food groups are stupid and unrealistic since they cannot be maintained for optimal health in the long run. I particularly have issues with any eating plan that eliminates any fruits and vegetables. Don't be so stupid: a diet high in fruits and veggies can help stave off cancer and other serious diseases. Why would you want to diminish nature's way of protecting you and making you healthy?

And forget cutting out healthy carbs. Your body needs them for so many things, not least of which are the ability to produce enough energy to help you get through your workouts feeling strong and to produce trytophans from which norepinephrine and serotonin, essential neurotransmitters controlling mood, are made. Want to be happy in Winter? Don't cut down on carbs: your brain will thank you.

Clare

I've never followed P90X but I have never understood diets that tell you to cut out certain food groups..it makes no sense and you end up gaining all of the weight back! I know a guy who has followed Atkins off and on...gaining and losing and whaddya know, he just had open heart surgery! He was a walking time bomb.
I'd say do what you are doing now. Eat healthy and workout, you will get the results you want. The only thing I would even consider doing is eating no carbs with supper and thats just a consideration, ive never done it, nor could I.

Lori:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.