Any suggestions for dry, cracked hands?

BAM

Cathlete
Yes, it's that time of the year. My hands are quite dry and some of my fingertips are beginning to crack. Does anyone know of a good lotion that actually works? I'd prefer a non-greasy one for the day but would use a more emollient one at night if it really helps.

Thanks!
Bam

I'm a nurse, and my hands get even more chapped and broken down in the winter due to frequent washing. Even at home, my hands are constantly in the water!

the BEST thing that helps me is, smearing Bag Balm (sold in a green tin in CVS type stores) around my cuticles and dry spots. Then I put on an all over moisturizer (like aveeno) and put on cotton gloves before going to sleep. Even if you don't keep them on all night, it does a great job!

Frequent moisturing with good moisturizer too (aveeno or lubriderm)

~Chris

Thanks Chris! I guess old remedies work the best. That has certainly been around for a long time. I've gone to the wearing socks at night with moisturizer on my feet but haven't done the glove thing. Maybe I need to start thinking more northernly;-). Thanks again.

Bam

Vaseline Intensive care is the one I use, the original and best.

The secret though is to keep a tube of it by your bed, a tube by your computer, one by the sink in the kitchen and one in your desk at work and one in the car and one in your handbag. That way, you always have it near when you need it and can apply after every hand wash, before they get cracked and painful.

Clare

I like Neutrogena Norwegian Hand Cream and for a splurge, Occitane's hand creme with shea butter. I use both only at night though. FWIW, Bag Balm bothered my skin, gave me little bumps all over my hands. I have sensitive skin though.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Yes, I second the Norwegian hand cream. But the best tip I have is to put moisturizer on your hands right out of the shower, right after you dry off. You will actually seal moisture into your hands. I'm a nurse too, so I have to really pay attention to this or my hands literally hurt.

Another vote for Aquaphor. That stuff is thick and sticky, so I use it strictly at night with gloves/socks. You won't believe it!

Pure lanolin is good for healing cracks. I've found it at local "health food stores," and Lansinoh makes a tube for breastfeeding mothers that you can find in the baby section at drugstores. It's good for chapped lips, too!

Allison

You are all wonderful! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think these would be great stocking stuffers.........FOR ME!!!!:p

Bam

Burt's Bees makes a great hand repair cream. Also, the Body Shop carries something called Hemp Chanvre hand protector. Both are really good and easily available.
Paula

Burt's Bees - Almond Milk Hand Creme or Beeswax and Banana Hand Creme. Both come in a glass jar. They work great! I am an acupuncturist and wash my hands at least 4 times per patient, so end up washing my hands over 30 to 40 times a day. Before Burt's Bees, the tips of my fingers always cracked.

edie

Udder butter. It's sold in a cow spotted container. Or Udder cream. Both work wonderfully. My son has "alligator skin" on his hands in the winter time and its the only thing thats works. We've been thru every product on the shelf and a few prescriptions. It's also the only thing than doesn't give him a burn-y feeling when his skin is really dry. About 3 days of it and his hands were normal again, and as long as we keep it up, they stay normal. And, it's cheap. Your local Walgreens or Osco should have it. Or even K Mart, WalMart or Target. Not greasy and no smell.

I agree with Clare. I don't think it's so much which product you use as how often you use it. I've taken to keeping little sample size hand creams in my purse, keeping some in my desk at work and in several different rooms of the house at home. Applying regularly is what works for me.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions! I looked in my cabinet yesterday and found a tin of the Bag Balm and used it last night. I don't have cotton gloves so I slipped my hands in some peds. It seemed to work o.k. but for some reason I kept wanting to walk on my hands today.:+ I know it's important to use lotion frequently throughout the day but I'd like to get my hands to a point where it doesn't feel like I could sand some wood after every washing!:7 I'm looking forward to trying all your different ideas. As always, thank you!!!

Bam

>Yes, it's that time of the year. My hands are quite dry and
>some of my fingertips are beginning to crack. Does anyone
>know of a good lotion that actually works? I'd prefer a
>non-greasy one for the day but would use a more emollient one
>at night if it really helps.
>
>Thanks!
>Bam

For nighttime I use a thick layer of Vitamin A & D Ointment w/white cotton gloves on top.

Viki-NYC :)

BAM -

I was just going to say if you don't have cotton gloves, using old cotton socks works too, but I see you've already discovered that!

Susan L.G.

I totally agree with Chris...bag balm is just the best! And I also do the gloves at night. Bag Balm is so healing, you will love love love it!

I will also put in a vote for Curel's advanced healing lotion. I put it all over my body once I get out of the shower (every shower)...also rub some on your feet!

Also, you might try a parrafin wax dip...super warm and cozy during these cold months. My wax dip system even came with gloves/booties that you plug in like a heating pad. (As a side note, you must wait until the kids are taking a nap to really enjoy these!) :7

Happy moist hands!
Denise :7

You guys are just the best! I had some Vit. E cream with A&D in the fridge so I smeared that on my hands last night. My mother has Aquaphor so guess what I'll be trying tonight?:) I've heard that the wax treatment is wonderful. Maybe someday I'll indulge in that. I can't wait to try all the other great ideas you've suggested. Here's to smooooooth hands. Now, I'll just have to think of some wonderful places to put them!;-) :p

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.