Anti depressants

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I am wondering how many are on an anti depressant and what works best for you, as you have read in my earlier post, I am fighting anorexia and bulemia, when I get depressed I would either go shopping, but now I can't do that, or I starve myself and self punish through purging. I am trying to stop that and going to call and get on an anti depressant but I would like to know what is out there and what works best for you, I know we all react differantly to differant meds but I just want to get general info on it.

Years ago I was having some issues and was prescribed an antidepressant. I had to try several before getting the results I needed. I tried Paxil, Celexa and ended up with Welbutrin. Everyone reacts differently. The main thing is take the drug long enough to see if it works for you without adverse side effects. If so continue. If you have side effects that bother you, check with your doctor and try something new. You have to wean yourself off most antidepressants so it will not be like a quick change to something new. After about 2-3 years I was able to discontinue taking them. I know that over the last few years several new drups have come out with good reviews. Lexapro is one, it is more for anxiety issues, but has few side effects. I have also heard good things about the improved Welbutrin. I think it is called Welbutrin XL. Good luck to you. You're are doing the right thing getting help.

Jean

lesliemarie,

There are certain ones that are specifically indicated for people with eating disorders. The last I heard Prozac was the only one, but there may now be others. If your psychiatrist doesn't specifically tell you that, then I would recommend asking about it.

-Nancy

The problem with me is I am not only dealing with depression, I have mood disorders, more like post traumatic stress syndrome from my childhood. So they are putting me on two medications, one to help me deal with depression and the other to stabelize my moods. I either go way up or I am way low, I don't have an in between which is very frustrating for me.

Are you saying you are bipolar? One of my dearest friends is bipolar. It is nothing to mess around with... You have to!!!!! get a good doctor. She went through several quacks who just about killed her before she found a good doctor who works with her very closely. She has a support system of people she uses as sounding boards, because if you are bipolar "normal" is a hard place to identify. There isn't a quick fix for this disease. I have watched my friend struggle with this for years. She was diagnosed after becoming suicidal. Her family interviened at that point and sought out a good doctor on her behalf. My friend goes to counselling as well. I think she is one of the bravest people I know. I know she takes several medications. I wouldn't begin to know what they all are... and that she is very closely monitored with them. When her meds are right she does great, when they are off that's where her friend step in. We let her know so she can let her doctor know. This might be helpful... Her doctor explained that people who have this disorder don't have a lid for their moods. "Normal" (I use that word loosely) have a mechanism in their brain that lets them know they are getting too high, or too low and then stabilizes them. A bipolar person doesn't have this mechanism. I really don't understand it past that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.