Aerobic Shoes! Way more stability!

LuvCardio

Cathlete
Hi chicks!!! I know some of us have been chattin' on other threads about aerobic vs. running shoes etc. I thought I'd let you know I finally found an awesome pair of Ryka's!!!!!!!!

I had been referred to buy a pair of running shoes by a guy in a store. Anyway.... I returned them because I was having achilles problems with them. They took them back w/no qeustions asked and I exchanged them for a pair of Rykas.

The Ryka's are soooooo much better. They give me so much more stability! I did kickbox at the club tonight and couldnt' believe the difference.

No wonder my feet, ankles, achilles, calves were hurting! I had no support in my old beat up shoes and then in the new running shoes. I personally recommend the Ryka's or something similar if you are currently having problems as some of you described. They have so much more support in the heal and more stability than the running shoes. I also went for the hi-top ones too so they seem to help.

-Pammer http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/sport/sport001.gif

Pammer:

good for you you took them back! What is the model name for the Rykas you bought, do you remember?

Clare

Clare,
Yes, I am sorry... should have mentioned the model name. They are Ryka Stylus?? Hope this helps?

I got them for $49.99 on clearance at Finishline and even got a $50 refund since the running shoes I returner were $100:)

I see now via the link below they are only $39.99 if purchased online! However, the 2nd link below is for Foot Locker and they are $79.99! Shows it pays to bargain shop!

Try this url:
http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?productId=prod335855

http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/p...ch&supercat=other&sku=2345049&model_nbr=33637

I just love them! They have great mid-foot support as well as the rest!

OK, all you educated consumers out there, I now have a pair of Avia crosstrainers and my feet hurt when I do HiLo. Pammer mentioned that the Ryka's help her with her feet hurting, but what do I do if I can't wear Ryka's cause they don't make them BIG enough? What else is a good brand of aerobic shoe that will calm my dogs? Step doesn't bother me and neither does kickbox, but hilo kills my feet.

I wear a 10, and the Ryka's go up to 9-1/2.

Just Do It! :)

What kind of shoe company doesn't make a women's size 10?? I mean I'm an 11 and I can understand those being kinda hard to find, but what are they thinking???

That is so frustrating, like a clothing store only carrying sizes 4-8!

What kind of company does not carry women's size 7 or 7 1/2?? I think that is the MOST COMMON shoe size amongst women!! Last time this came up I thought they were just out of size 7, apparantly that is all the time....
Janice

I have just e-mailed the company that distributes the Rykas shoes in the UK, to find out where I can find them.

anna

Janice,

Are you talking about Finish Line or Ryka? I have Ryka Cirrus and Stylus size 7.5 (BTW, I prefer Cirrus). Finish Line is sort of a 'clearance' store. Actually Ryka already quit making Cirrus and Stylus... Finish Line is just selling what's left out of that style.

Lady Foot Locker carries a lot of Rykas. They always have buy one get second 50% off sale. Just check them regularly (I used to call them almost weekly!).

Haslina

Haslina,
Thanks for the info. I didn't even know FinishLine was a clearance center? Weird! They even had some of the same shoes as all the other stores?? Maybe they are all just trying to dump some of the old ones. Weird thing was Finish LIne online was $40 cheaper than Footlocker??? Shows how much I know about shoe shoppin'....(not a whole lot). But I do know that I love my new shoes and they feel soooo much better.

This morning I did Rhythmic Step and PS and they were great.

Hi honeybunch1,
I'm just like you but I actually wear a womans size 11 - however in running shoes they turn out to be a men's 11'/2!!
Do you have suggestions for aerobic shoes for a big amazon woman like me? I usually just use mens running shoes. I just bought my step 4 days ago so I'm not sure if running shoes are okay to do w/ a step and home workout videos -any suggestions?

dwilliams

I wear a men's 9, women's 11. I have always bought ASICS running shoes both for running and for step/kickbox/hi-lo. I have my outdoor and my indoor pair. They work fine for step for me. I find women's shoes hard to find in my size and often too narrow.

HI ANNA,

COULD YOU ALSO GIVE ME THE WEB ADDRESS OR EMAIL OF THE COMPANY THAT DISTRIBUTES THE RYKA SHOES IN THE UK AS I ALSO AM INTERESTED. I WILL THEN CONTACT THEM MYSELF, AS I HAVE YET TO FIND A STABLE PAIR OF TRAINERS.

THANKS

HOTCHICK

Ryka Supra shoes are the best!

I bought a pair of Ryka Supra shoes from Galyan's in Atlanta right before Christmas. These aerobic/studio shoes are absolutely the best pair of shoes I have ever had.

Here's a link to the shoes:

http://www.ryka.com/supra.asp

Over the past several months I have had many problems with my right foot - posterior tibial dyfunction, navicular bone pain, achilles tendonitis (all over-use injuries) etc. I went to an orthopedic doctor and had some new orthotics made. If you ever need orthotics, I highly recommend going to an orthopedic doctor. Here's a link to the type of orthotics I have now:

http://www.actionphysiotherapy.com/footmax.htm

These shoes definitely provide very good support, as well as great lateral stability.

Linda

RE: Ryka Stylus

I found Stylus at Shoe Carnival in the clearance section. I ended up getting them for $25.!!! I'm now regretting that I didn't buy two pairs
Karen :)

RE: Ryka Supra shoes are the best!

Hey Linda, I noticed that you said that you had problems with your right foot and posterior tibial dysfunction. I had some problems last fall (November 2001) with an injury in my right foot that took me to an orthopedist and he said that it was more than likely the posterior tibial tendon that I had injured, and not achilles. He only did an X-ray, and not an MRI. His suggestions were to lay off cardio for a few weeks, and when I resumed activity to alternate cardio and weights. He also told me not do as much stepping. I followed his advice regarding laying off cardio for a while, and my foot improved. However, my pain has never completely gone away. I find a lot of "tenderness" too when I wear any sort of a heel (above 1-2 inches). I have not thought about orthotics, and do not know much about them. Would you mind telling me how much they have helped your situation? As of now, I try to mix up my cardio more to avoid as much pain in this area, but I do seem to be able to live with it, to a point. Thanks, Sandra

P.S. I have the Ryka stylus (i think) and it has helped to provide more ankle support and support during lateral moves.

BayouGal - where you are located? I'm originally from the New Orleans area - are you from Louisiana?

Sandra - This response is going to be long.....I had a pair of orthotics made by a podiatrist in December 2001. I didn't know it at the time - but the way the podiatrist's assistant "casted" my foot for the orthotics was done incorrectly. I was seated - with my legs extended - my feet in a resting position. Anyway, the orthotics just never felt right in my shoes. They seemed to slip and slide in my shoes. My right foot felt "tired" all the time. I teach Body STEP and when we get ready to introduce a new release, our Body STEP team practices a lot! So, after wearing the orthotics from the podiatrist for almost a year, I went back to him.

He did x-rays, but the x-rays really didn't show any problems other than possible over use injuries. He suggested that I cut back on my physical activity - and I did cut back on my Body STEP teaching. I also teach Body PUMP, so I just cut back quite a bit on the weights I use for the squat and lunge songs.

I guess the podiatrist realized that I needed to know what his short and long term plan was for my foot recovery. Since x-rays don't show soft tissue damage, he scheduled an MRI. As a result of the MRI, I found out that I had posterior tibial dysfunction. The MRI also showed that I did not have a stress fracture of the navicular bone. He didn't offer to make new orthotics, he just suggested that I continue to cut back and rest my foot.

He wanted to cast my foot, but I'm sorry to report that complete rest is just something I don't do well! The only way I can possibly stop exercising completely is to be put in a full body cast and then be put on a slow boat to China! LOL!

About a week later, I took my MRI to an orthopedic doctor for a second opinion. The orthopedic doctor did an x-ray too because sometimes stress fractures don't show up right away. His set of x-rays didn't show any stress fracture of the navicular bone either.

After the orthopedic doctor realized that the orthotics I had were not helping, he sent me to get the FootMaxx orthortics. If you go the website I indicated above, you will read how they are made. What a difference!

Quite honestly, these orthotics have made so much difference! After one week with these orthotics, the pain was gone! Now, keep in mind that I am still being very careful about my activity. For at least 4 weeks I cut back and I gradually added more activity and higher propulsive moves on the step. I haven't been able to get back to my jogging, but that's okay.

Most health insurance organizations will cover one pair of orthotics per year.

Hope this covers everything. If not, let me know if you have any more questions that I can answer. I definitely recommend going to an orthopedic to get orthotics if they are medically necessary.

Linda

Hey Linda, Yes I am in Louisiana, in the New Orleans area, but originally from Baton Rouge. Thanks for the information. I know that I will end up back at the orthopedic doctor at Oschner, but for now I seem to be able to live with it. He did not see any problems with my foot from the x-ray, but suggested that an MRI would be necessary to further diagnose the problem. Just based on where my pain was is why he thought that it was the posterior tibial tendon.

Are you a full-time instructor? If so, I am sure it's necessary to get a solution to your problem. I am like you, though, as far as the resting goes. I tried to do more of a heavy weight training routine to make up for no cardio at the time of my injury, and I did not gain any weight. I am now probably 5-7 pounds from where I would like to be because of the holidays, but I am able to do enough cardio to make progress. It is only a nagging pain right now.

Again, thanks for the information, and I will consider looking into the orthotics, if I continue to have problems. Sandra

I have a dumb question. If I can only get one pair of shoes - mainly for strength work like squats/lunges/etc. and a little for some indoor cardio (BodyMax step and eventually kickboxing), do I want cross-trainers or aerobic shoes? What are these Rykas you are all recommending for - step aerobics or strength training?

Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.