5k On Mother's Day?

JAFitMama

Cathlete
Am I realistic in thinking I can run 5 k? OK here is my background. As many of you know , I use Cathe workouts exclusively, and have been since 1998. Running has always intiminated me. Last August I added treadmill running to my rotations for about 10 weeks and then went back to all Cathe. This April I added running again 2-3 times per week. 3.5 miles at a time running 2" (at 7.5"pace) /walking 1" ( at 14.2"pace) My friends want me to join them for a 5K on May 8. will I be able to finish? Or is this unreasonable? I have scheduled 3 more runs before May 8 and one day of Kickboxing. Other days are strength/endurance training and and abs.

Should I attempt this or is it too soon? Should I cut out my leg work next week or keep it up?

Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

Judy-I am by NO means an expert. I don't consider myself a runner either, so this is just my humble opinion...

ABSOLUTELY you can do it! A 5k is only something like 3.1 miles, and you're already doing that on your own. I say GO FOR IT! Show yourself y ou can do it.

I've done a bunch of reading on this topic, since I've just recently started running too. If you do the run next weekend, cut back on your leg workouts and your runs toward the end of the week. BY Wednesday, try to be done with any tough lower body workouts. Keep anything on Thursday, Friday and Saturday to upper body or low intensity lower body, like walking only.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gayle

Hi Judy,

You will have no problem. Give the race a try, you will love it.

Let us know how it goes!!

Beverly

Judy...I think you'd do fine in a 5K. I would say though if the running you have done has only been on a treadmill you might want to go out and hit the pavement at least once before the 5K, just to get the feel of being outside. Outside running is a bit different than a treadmill..:)..cutting back on leg work might be good too. Alot of runners differ there...Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!!....:)...Carole

Judy - absolutely GO FOR IT!!! If you're already doing that on the treadmill, you'll be fine. As Carole said, though, you may want to try running outside once before the 5K race day.

We'll be cheering for you!

Thank you everyone. I will try an outside run or two in the next week. I was going to do GS floor legs today and next week on or two days, and KPC on Monday. Is that OK?

Judy
AKA "Likes2bfit"
sport-smiley-009.gif
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif

>Thank you everyone. I will try an outside run or two in the
>next week. I was going to do GS floor legs today and next week
>on or two days, and KPC on Monday. Is that OK?
>
>
>
If your body is used to that kind of legwork already, I don't think it'll hurt you at all...:)...Carole

I think you can do it, too. And there's no rule that you HAVE to run the whole thing! You certainly can walk if you need to. But in races, I feel a huge adrenaline rush and feel like I do better than running on my own. Plus, the competitive part of me comes out and I want to go as fast as I possibly can. I bet you'll do better than you think.

Leg work will help your running so I vote you keep it up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.