2/2 Back in the Game

lorihart

Cathlete
Hello fellow back in the gamers...(did that make sense):)
I just got home from work and I made the mistake of drinking a coffee at 8.I normally don't drink coffee after 8,but it was so good.My hubby is already gone to bed.I will get bored when I don't have anyone to talk to so its just as well if I followed him.
I had a good workout today.I did a 60min run and PUB.I think I am going to try my run tomorrow on a empty stomach.We shall see how hungry I am.
I want to sit down and make up a rotation but I don't have clue where to start.I also have to look into the training part of a marathon before I can make up a rotation.And the nutrition.
I am having alittle trouble with my calorie intake.Beleive it or not, I can't seem to eat 1700 a day(unless its cookies:) )Today right up until dinner,I only had 800 eaten.And everytime I ate I was satisfied when I finished.I guess its just a matter of adding in small things,like almonds and nuts.Then for dinner I had a bowl of soup,a roll and 2 choc,chip cookies.I don't want to eat anything now b/c I am trying to get out of eating in the night time.I guess it would also be easier to if I got up earlier.That way I could fit in a snack before lunch.
Thats it for me.Not quite sure what I will be working tomorrow.Need to do lower body;( I hate working lower body!
Lori:)

Hey Lori :)

I've been gone for a few days, so needless to say, I haven't worked out since Friday. I did a fantastic stint at PS SLA, though. We took a last-minute trip to Reno. My DB's psuedo-father bought us and a bunch of others from his business tickets to a George Carlin show. I wouldn't have gone, but apparently he had arranged this well over a month ago. Nobody bothered to let me know, though. I have come to realize, though, that unplanned trips are the best.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy the show much. I'm just not a big fan of senseless, humorless vulgarity. Even the family, who are die-hard fans, were a disappointed, and even disgusted. There were quite a few people that just left. Other than that, the weekend was a lot of fun.

I didn't get home until the wee hours of the morning and I met a friend for lunch. I was wiped the entire day. Hopefully my workouts resume tomorrow. It's so hard for me to even bother since I know in a couple of months my exercise is going to be completely eradicated for several months. I won't have any money for a gym membership and we will be working hard to get the worst apartment imaginable livable. On the upside, I won't have a dime to eat, either :D I'm sure weight gain won't be a problem.

My sister and her husband moving in has already become a nightmare. I won't go into details, but they have literally taken over the house. I had to spend several hours cleaning the exercise room because they just dumped their stuff. I had to find space for it... they wouldn't bother. My mom has been crying that she can't keep up with cleaning the messes they have created, but, naturally, she won't say a word in case she might hurt their feelings. She has been doing their laundry ALL DAY every day for the last three days. But she had no problem lecturing me about leaving my purse next to the couch downstairs. Love families. x(

I honestly should have moved out on my own for a few years before I go into another cramped living situation. I need to stop complaining. I'm making myself even angrier. It's that time of the month, too :) So everything is just amplified by 100. I think tonight I'm going to my DB's house for a few drinks to just relax and complain. And complain. And complain.

Lori, I wish I had your problem with not eating enough. Since being home, eating is all I can do. Then again, not eating enough calories creates problems on its own.

Here's to another week! I'll check in with you guys tomorrow :)

Sara

Don't you dare stop complaining, Sara. This is where you get to vent and get it all off your chest so you don't kill your sister! Toss their stuff into the closet if they don't pick it up and say, sweetly, I needed to workout and I didn't have time to pick up your mess. LOL!

Oh, Lori, a PM caffiene buzz! I hate that. Hey, it's ok to eat anytime if you've not eaten enough, otherwise you'll end up waking up ravenous and eat everything in sight, LOL! I have a book of women's running and I'll copy down a schedule for you tomorrow. I have to go to Sam's class at 8:00 but I'll be home at 9:00 and I'm not working out until I pick him up at 10:30. It has specific ideas but you can adapt it to suit you and it gives different types of runs, ranging from longer to speedwork. Speedwork really gives you great results when it comes to getting a good time. What's your average pace? Training for racing is a blast!

I did Leaner Legs today followed by MIC. MIC is a killer but oh so fun!

I'll talk to you tomorrow!

And Sara, I love your pic! You are absolutely gorgeous and I takeit that's your DB? What a beautiful couple!

Bobbi "Chick's rule!" http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif

Good Morning Ladies,
Oh Bobbi,that would be awesome.Like I said, I am not quite sure where to start.I am thinking about calling a girl that is doing the marathon but I know that she is going to go on and on and on.I am also afraid that she might want to train together and she is not a fast runner.We happened to be out one day beating the same streets and she was way ahead of me, but before I know it I am slowly creaping up on her and I eventually pass her.I didn't want to but there was no way I could stay behind her.My pace is around 6 mph but I am also comfy at 5.6 mph.
This may be a stupid question but is a marathon a race? I just want to do one,I don't really want to win.It would be nice if I were doing it to raise money or something.
I ended up going to bed at 1:30! And I still had trouble getting to sleep.But I got my laundry folded while I was up.I am going to have to go to bed early tonight.
Yes,I agree with Bobbi.Your pitcures are very nice.I don't know how to post pitcures on here.I bet my hubby does though.I guess we have all of the right equipment? Not a clue.
I find that if I don't eat in the night time then I am not hungry in the morning.And then the opposite is true.
I wanted another cookie so bad last night.I was actually in the kitchen and had the container in my hand.I was trying to talk myself out of it.I was saying,you know what the cookie taste like,whats the big deal?
Anyway,I had 1/2 one when I got up:)
Well,I hope everyone has a good day and i will check back later...

Good morning, Lori! I have about twenty minutes before I have to call Sam so I'll use this time to give you a crash course in training for racing which worked well for me. Then, if you like we, can plan out a weekly schedule for you to follow that will suit you and your goals. If you want to get out there and have a ball and see what it's like, I think you can easlily have a two hour Half just doing what you have been doing. If you want to get out there and see just how fast you can be, I am certain you can be quite the energizer bunny and kick some butt! When is the Half Marathong? Are there any 5K or 10K's that fall between now and the race. Using shorter distance races to train is another thing I always love to do

A Marathon is a 26.2 mile race and a Half Marathon is 13.1 miles. I did a half in '98 and it took me about an hour and 46 minutes. With your long runs, 13.1 should be a cakewalk and a 10 minute mile will get you finished in a little over 2 hours. However, once you start training, you'll find yourself getting faster and the excitemnt of racing and the adreniline always made me faster than I thought I could be!

You obviously like long distance judging by how long you run when you go out, so this should be a great race for you!

Are you familiar with speedwork? I must confess I hated it, not only because it's hard, but because it's hard and it had to be done in less miles and I always liked to go out for at least 6 or 7 miles! However, Cathe's interval workouts make great subs because they are real endurance builders and teach you to pull in more oxygen even when you kick up your pace and run faster than you would on a casual run!

How many days do you typically run per week? How many miles per day? Would you mind inserting a day or two of short fast, running? For instance, I used to go out and run an easy mile to warm up and then go to a long stretch of road and chose a 4 meter stretch where I could run all out, until I was completely breathless and couldn't run ANY faster. I'd then run back to point A slowly and do it again! How many times you repaet is up to you but I usually did at least 4 repeats and sometimes twice as many. (4 x 400 meters at speed with 4 x 400 meters at recovery pace (slooowly!). I also liked doing 800 meter repeats at a slighter slower pace but still running hard and fast and then recovering at the same distance, much slower pace. Timing yourself is not absolutely necessary but it is fun! What's important is feeling yourself push. If you happen to live where it's hilly, doing hillwork is great too. Find a nice long steep hill and repeat running up it as many times as you feel you can until you are pleasantly pooped. I usually finished speed and hill work with a mile long cool down run at a comfortable pace. I used my odometer to mark off distances, looking for places that were mostly free of traffic. But, if theres a track nearby, they are beautiful to because the distances are marked off. I liked to do speed training twice per week. Interval training on the road is another type of speedwork I enjoyed. Warm up, then run hard for 60 seconds and recover for 60 seconds to 120 seconds, then repeat. How many repeats is a matter of personal preference. Each week should get a little harder but as the race day approaches you taper and back off both overall mileage and speed work so you'll have plenty of energy for the race!

I would do one long run of at least 10 miles at an easy, 2 short fast workouts, two intermediate runs, 5-7 miles at a quick but not too difficult pace and a couple of rest days, one after the long run and one between speed days.

does this help? Think about your goals and how many days of running you want to do plus actor in your strength work and any non-running cardio you do. Post your ideas to me and I'll help you build a plan, ok?

I am doing CTX Upper Body Split today with KPC!

I'll check back later.

Both you and Sara have a beautiful day!

Hi Bobbi,
Thanks so much for all the info! I am going to try reading over it and answering your questions as I go.If not,I will never remember them all.
The 1/2 marathon is May23.One of the girls I work with as to take her little boy on a hockey trip that weekend so I may not be able to get away.I am going to check it out a bit more though.Its only a saturday, someone else can work it.If not,there are going to be a few marathons this summer just 3 hours from here and I can get invovled in them.I am still going to train .I was talking to a girl today that is doing this half marathon.She is following a program from the running room.Its run for 10 min and walk for 1.The girl she runs with did her first marathon training this way and she had good results.She ended up blowing by the eager people in the end.But they do start training at the lower end by only doing 4 miles and working her way up even though she has been running longer distances for a while.
I would love for us to set up some sort of plan.My goal would be to run faster and of course get leaner.I would love to change my body a little while training.
I think doing cathe interval workouts plus my run as given me a little endurance boost already.Is speedwork considered a interval run? I do those sometimes now.I go anywhere from 5 MPH to 7.8 MPH.
Normally I run 6 days a week.Could be for 50-90 min.Today I did a 65 min run and I did 6.5 miles.A nice pace for me is 5.8.I really noticed that today.I didn't really feel like moving the dial when it was there.I don't mind doing speed running a couple of days a week.I could do those on the days when I am busier and I can't do a 60 min run.I don't know if there is anywhere I could go and do the run like your emplaining though.Everything is snow covered now.And all of the playgrounds and parks and useless.
Those runs sound good.I don't know how many strength days I should do.What do you suggest? I like doing circuit training like Bootcamp and running incorported.I don't know if there is any advantage in doing those while training.I normally do 2-3 strength days a week.
My busiest days are thursdays and fridays.Some weeks I work all day on thrusdays so I may not even get to workout at all.From saturday to Wed I am pretty free.Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited:7 :7 :7 Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to help me!
I think thats it.Did I cover everything?
Thanks again,

Hey gals! Another day with no exercise. I have no GOOD excuse, though plenty of bad ones. I jsut got home late after a day with no food and I needed to eat :( So I ate a little much and haven't digested it yet. I'll try again tomorrow, I suppose.

Adn thank you so much for your compliments. I appreciate it a lot :D Ray, of course, will be the first to agree that he is "beautiful" :) Guys are all like that, aren't they? LOL

I think I am still totally in my funk. My family and I aren't getting along well, besides all of my sister stuff. It's really got me down, and my DB is having problems with his family as well. It's funny how it all happens at the same time. Besides that, I decided to leave work and take these few months to relax, stay at home, and do my own thing with and without my family. But the entire time, I've spent helping my DB move, helping him set up his house, running errands, helping my sister move. Because I stopped working, I am on 24-hour call to everybody to take people places, pick up food, help with this, help with that. Which is FINE, but not 5 or 6 times a day. I just get settled in the house and the phone rings again.

Oh well. I hope tomorrow is better. The snow has been coming down for two days now, and just puts running and walking that much further away. It's still kind of cozy, though. Especially since I don't have to drive 30 minutes on bad roads to get to my DB's place. And he lives just a block away from where I work,so that's nice.

I also have absolutely no money to preorder the new DVDs. I thought I would, but I have nothing. Only a few thousand left in my savings that I promised myself I wouldn't touch except for paying health and auto insurance. Oh well :) They will probably come out around my birthday and hopefully I can convince somebody to get them for me.

Ok, I'll try to have something good to report tomorrow. I will try!!

Good luck on your marathoning Lori. If I had the means, I would consider training for one with you. It's just not possible now.... but it's always been a dream for me. I think I will join a running club in San Diego. That will be something new and my DB is excited to start one, too. Even though he hates running... Makes you wonder :D

Have a beautiful night,

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/rayiisara/sblordita

Oh, Sara, I am so sorry you are in a funk but hang in there. It will get better. you must, must, must establish boundaries with your family. If you are feeling badly, you can't allow them to take advantage. It's ok to say no. Try it a few times and it not only gets easier, it feels good too! But I hear you, LOL! Sometimes I catch myslef jumping through hoops for these buggers and I wouldn't mind if they didn't take it for granted. But of course they do becase they are selfish and opportunistic. So, I clamp down hard. I need to find the happy medium!

One thing nice about the DVD's is they are not as expensive as a series!

I hope you have a great day tomorrow and keep you chin up. These stressful phases come and go and it's funny but when they are over and you've survived, you realize they do indeed make you stronger! You are such a lovely young woman, so kind and considerate in spite of the stuff that's going on. That says alot about your integrity and character. I am so glad to have met you and Lori too. Such lovely young women give me real pleasure in honoring me with your presence in these threads on the forum and real hope for the future which will be in your hands! Hang in there and keep smiling. Good things are bound to come to someone as wonderful as you!

Lori, I have a couple more questions. Do you have a time goal in mind or do you want to train for a while to get an idea of what to expect and how far out do you want to start training in earnest? My book suggests 13 years for a full Marathon and 8 for a hlaf. You have about 15 weeks. I think you can really rock in this race with what you are capable of now and it you tweak that a little you can really have a great race. When I trained for the Marathon, Istarted at 25 miles per week and built to 50 per week with a couple of Cathe workouts and strength training twice per bodypart per week. The 50 mile weeks included runs from 15, 18 20 to 23 miles just to be sure I could finish. A lot of people don't go out that far and still do fine. I guess my question is do you wat to start out easy (if we can call what you already do easy!) and build up your training runs in length and speed? In the weeks before the race you'll want to back off so you start out moderately build up to really hard trianing and then settle back down a bit to be rested and ready for the big day. For casual runs, I liked a 9 minute pace but for racing I started training harder and harder, easing inot 8 minute miles and some seven over short distances. I think you'll be surprised at how fast you can be if you start to push and i mean run a few short ones as hard as you can to see what you've got. A dollar says you are capable of getting pretty fast!
Let me know what's in your mind and we'll create a really beautiful program for you to kick butt!

Good Morning Ladies,
Sara-Sounds like your ready to pull your hair out! I don't know how you can keep your cool.I can normally,but things build up with me and then I usually lose it.I have had my father and brother live in my house for monthes at a time.Thats when they have work in this town.They aren't to bad, besides for the fact that they get my little girls game face on alot of the time.But they usually are gone in the mornings before we get up,they come home around 7 and the go to bed around 9.Hopefully you will get around to working out.Its a great stress reliever ,which I am sure you are aware of.

Bobbi-Oh,I need 8 yrs do I????? Well,I have been running off and on for 8 if that helps:) I figure we could start where I am now.Like you said before maybe a 10mile run once a week,2 6-7 mile runs and 2 faster ones.Man you did alot of running.Were you in the best shape of your life then?What about nutirtion? Do you eat more carbs while training ? Prehaps we can start training this way for the first couple of weeks and then add a mile to every run each week?
We need to be careful though b/c I have had injuries in the past.My knee was bothering me last summer but it isn't bothering me now.I think the treadmill is taking a good beating.I may be able to get outdoors for a couple of runs a week.There aren't many hills around here.Its pretty flat, but the 3 hills that are in this town..I already have mastered:) I could probably do the 6-7 mile runs outdoors.But I would like to stay off of the pavement as much as possible and save the poundage for race day.Hopefully I answered everything.

Today is Imax2 and a run!!!!!! I am excited b/c I love Imax2 and I find working this way makes time fly!:) I REALLY have to get my ab work in there to!
I had a good idea today.I think Cathe should put out another ab hits dvd.I don't even have the first one yet but I have been meaning to;) That would be a good valentines day gift.I think the new dvd should include all the new ab moves from both series.I think my favorite ab workout maybe PUB or KPC.If I had all of those new moves on one dvd I would have the best abs in town! The only ab dvd I have is a KAri Anderson one.Its really good but I got tired of doing the same one all of the time.Everything else is video tape and you know what thats like...fastforwarding...I just don't have time.
I am going to try saving my sweettooth for after dinner.Its been a problem lately.Thats my only downfall in my diet.Its weird how the mind works(or my mind anyway).Get this...I can have 3-4 halves of a cookie.I can cut the cookies out and clean the crumbs out of the pan,or if the cookies are falling a part I can eat the pieces that are falling off.Which makes up,by the end of the day,about 5 cookies.I am not joking here at all.I am out of control.BUT you will never see me eat a full cookie.For some reason I think its o.k b/c I only ate half of a cookie.I think that if I ate the full cookie then I probably wouldn't go back for more and in reality(the real world,not my world:) )I actually ate less.
Sorry for babbling....I should go and get ready to sweat!
Thanks again Bobbi and I look forward to reading what you have geared up for me!And have a good day sara
Lori

Oh, Lori, I am an idiot, aren't I? :) Eight weeks is the recommendation but I like longer training. Do you want to base it on 12 weeks with the last few weeks becoming lighter to get you rested up for the big day?

I am meeting my neice for yoga this morning so I'll post the Plan in the afternoon. I jotted a few things down. Do me a favor and post two or three weeks of your workouts (do you keep a log besides the check in?) and we'll just work in training runs. You are going to do so well at this. I am excited for you! LOL!

I was in great shape in 1999. I knew at the beginning of the year, I was doing the Marathon because I did the Hald in '98 and I loved it. I raced all year leading up to the race, at least once a month and started trining in earnest 16 weeks out. The beauty of the climate in Arizona is we have year round races except in the summer when it gets so hot that June, July and August that only crazy people go out into the heat when races are available. The summer monhs are great to head out of state if you want to race! I ate like a horse and I have always been a carbaholic so I stayed right at 125 even when my mileage went to 50 per week. I ate about 60-65 percent of my caloreis from carbs. I do about 55% now! I have to wake the and kids for school. I'll write out the schedule and post in awhile! Still chuckling over that 8 years of training! :)

Yeah I thought that was a bit much.And not to mention the training for the full marathon.I think you posted that it was 13 years of training! :) To funny!
Lets give you an idea of my workout schedule.I do write it down but every week is not that same for me.Now, comming up in 2 weeks I have the same schedule for 3 weeks.But after that I alternate working nights at the airport instead of mornings.Regardless we should make thursday and friday my shorter days.Here is my WORK schedule.
Mon-off
Tues-Not that sticky .Mostly just a 1/2 a day.Either way I can workout in the morning or evening.
Wed-I have until 12 in the afternoon
Thursday- I may have to take this day off if I work both jobs.If I am only working one job then I have until 12 in the afternoon
Friday-I work from 9-5
Sat-off
Sun-off
On the days when I have time I work out for about 2 hrs.Could be cardio and weights.The weight tapes are usually an hour long.I like working one upper,one lower and then one total.Usually on saturday.On other days I may just do cardio for 60min.
I hope this helps,chat to you soon,

Well,I dunno. I could incorporate Imax2 with a 6mile run like I did today. I have also used Bootcamp as well.I like doing circuit type workouts.it really doesn't matter to me.Do whatever you feel is best.Right now I have been concentrating on running do thats been my main form of cardio.
Thanks again and you are not being a pest!

You did Imax 2 AND a 6 mile run? Lori, you are going to have no trouble with a half marathon! And the fact that you will workout A.M or P.M. is great too. You're flexible. Thursday will be your rest day since you ar too busy to work out and taking a rest days important.

I have a little outline of your work schedule and a tentative workout schedule on paper. I just need to clean it up. Doing one upper body strenth workout and one lower with a total body is a perfect! Each body part twice per week. I do that too although I haven't been doing total body in my heavy strength work phase but I am getting to that. I'm going to give you a running schedule, Lori. If you add interval work like Imax to it,great, but you should do it on a short run day which will be a speedworkout. Don't worry about not having a track. It's just one way to train. You can always try it in the Spring but with the workouts you do, it's not necessary at all. You amaze me, truly you do!

I am getting out the book and I'll use the notes I have based on your posts and the authors suggestions to finish the plan. I'll post in the morning since I am taking this upstairs and hopping into bed to finish it.

As much as you run and workout, all you really need to do is build up to thirteen mile runs at least once per week. You can stay with what ou are doing now until the second week in March and have plenty of time to be good and ready to racke on May 23! The week of the 16th sould be very light and easy. You want to go into that race rested with plenty of stored energy. The speedwork with the interval work will make you faster and racing itself is very exhilarating and that get's you moving more quickly than you might otherwise run for the sake of running. It's really exciting and the spectators make you feel wonderful. They relly root for you to do well! It's a blast!

Ok, I'll post the final product in the morning!
Sweet Dreams!

Good Morning Gals,
I did have a good nights sleep!:) I don't know about sweet dreams though.I don't know if I dreampt at all.My DH is gone away for work so it was just the two of us home last night.I use to hate it when he was gone(I still do) but I had trouble sleeping and every noise I heard I would think that there was someone in the house.I use to have to sleep with the lights on in the hall.I've grown up alot in last couple of years though:) I don't sleep with any lights on now:eek:
I can't beleive that you are putting so much into this for someone you don't even know.But I am willing to bet money that if you met me in person you would fall in love with me:) Every body does}(
Thats cool.I still have a few weeks to do what I want to do.
Today is Bootcamp and a run.I love doing this workout to.I am not sure how long my runs will be.Probably 8 min each.That would make 64 minutes.
Yeah it doesn't really matter when I workout.I have the most energy after 9 in the morning.I don't like working out 6 in the morning.I use to do that.I would get up early and workout before work.It was great in the summer time b/c I had my evenings free to do whatever.But my workouts weren't very intense or long.
How is Sara doing????????? She has been pretty low key lately.Honestly if I had sister like that...I don't know what I would do.It seems like her sister and her are two totally different people.
Anyway,thats about it for me.I hope everyone as a good day.Its work for me at 1 until 9 tonight.:( Don't get me wrong I like working but I wish I could go to work and come home when I like:) Wouldn't that be a wonderful world:+

Get ready, Lori!

Hi, Lori. I have The Plan!

I am going to lay this out for you but I cannot stress enough how utterly flexible I am when it comes to any workout schedule. I add rest days or change workouts depending on how I feel and that's so important. I am going to give a breakdown on the types of training but a dollar says you will find some workouts more to your liking than others (if you can call your feeling "liking" and you may chose one or two speed workouts and use them exclusively, forgoing other types that just don't do it for you. Speedwork is painful and hard and you have to choose the ones you can face doing over 12 weeks time. This is a 12 week schedule.

You are doing this to build endurance which is simply the ability to run at a given pace (fast for a race!) over an extended period of time (how long it takes to run 13.1 miles for a good finishing time!).

To build endurance you need to do these types of training runs:

LONG RUNS are run at an easy pace and start out shorter, growing longer as the weeks progress but each increase in mileage is balanced out by a shorter run the week before.

SPEED WORK is shorter, faster runs starting and ending with a warm up and a cool down of approximately one mile or ten minutes at a relaxed pace.

Types of speed work are as follows:

FARTLEK is a Swedish work for "speed play". These are road runs done by warming up and then choosing a spot in the distance, say a tree or sign, and running comfortably hard to reach it, then choosing a second spot and running at a recovery pace to reach it. You then choose another spot and head for it at a harder pace and another spot to run to at recovery pace. Keep repeating until you begin to tire then cool down at an easy pace. You may want to try fartlek in the Spring.

PACE or INTERVAL WORKOUTS are intervals done by distance. Warm up and then chose a 800, 400 or 200 meter stretch to use for your intervals. Run very hard for 800, 400 or 200 meters then return to the starting point at an easy recovery pace. You can recover at the same distance or halve the distance or twice the distance, i.e., run 800 meters hard, jog 800 meters slowly back to starting point or run 800 meters hard, jog 400 meters slowly back to starting poiint or run 800 meters hard, jog 800 meters slowly to starting point plus 400 more and then 400 back to point A.

Beginning a training schedule I like to use 800 meters, then go to 400 and then to 200 meters. At 800 meters, which is almost half a mile, you will not be able push as hard as you can when you get to shorter distances but it lets you increase the effort you expend very nicely. By the time you are doing 200M repeats, you can run at all out effort and get really fast because the distance is so much shorter than trying to go all out at 800M. You do have to find a place where you can measure out the distance and it should be flat and free of traffic for the most part. Cathe's Imax, Imax 2 and boot Camp done at maximum effort are a great sub for these workouts as long as you give them all you've got. I hated these but boy do they make you fast!

PICKUPS are timed speedwork. They are easily done on a treadmill or on the road with a watch. Warm up and then run comfortably hard for one minute followed by runnng very easily for one minute. Repeat until pleasntly pooped! Cool down. I liked to cool own for 10 minutes or so but you can finsih off with an easy two or three extra miles since sort run days can make you feel like you are missing out if you are accustomed to running for an hour or so! :)

PICKUP SETS are based on the same principle but you increase the time of the intervals. Warm up and then run 1 minute hard, 1 easy, 2 minutes hard, 2 easy, 3 and 3, 4 and 4, 5 and 5 or until you have had enough! Cool down.

PICKUP LADDERS are about the same as Pickup Sets but they are pyramid style. You go 1 hard/1 easy, 2 hard/2 easy, 3 hard/3 easy, 4 hard/4 easy, 5 hard/5 easy, 4 hard/4 easy, 3 hard/3 easy, 2 hard/2 easy and back to 1 hard/1 easy and then cool down. Five minutes is an arbitrary number. You may want to go back down the ladder after 3 or 4 minute intervals.

TEMPO RUNS build speed endurance. They are like practice races you run on your own. Warm up and thenpick up the tempo to a pace that feels hard but not as fast as race pace. Faster than an easy run but slower than speedwork. Maintain the pace for 10 minutes to begin with, then 15 then 20 and up to 30 by the end of your training. Finish with a cool down. During Tempo runs you can pretend to race and imagine it in your mind!

RACES, if you can find some that are held in the weeks before your half marathon, are a great way to train. Look for and sign up for a 5K or even a 10K and use it to get a feel for the experience of racing and to build speed and endurance.

That's the low down on types of training.

The schedule is for twelve weeks of training and one week of little or no running and little or no strength training the last week before the race.

You will begin training in earnest the week of 2/29 so you are free to play around with the types of training I've outlined before you actully begin the traiing schedule.

Sunday- Long Run
Monday-Easy Run/Total Body Strength
Tuesday-Speed Run
Wednesday-Easy Run/Lower Body Strength
Thursday-Rest Day
Friday-Tempo Run/Upper Body Strength
Saturday-Short & Easy

Week 1 2/29

Su 8 miles
M 5-7 miles easy pace (go gently since you ran long the day before)
Tu Pickups
W 5-7 miles
TH Rest
F Tempo Run-10 minutes at hard pace with warmup/cool down
S 5 Easy (take it easy on Saturday since Sunday is you long run) day.

Week 2 3/7

Su 10
M 5-7
T PU Sets
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 15 minutes hard pace
Sa 5 miles easy

Week 3 3/14

Su 8
M 5-7
Tu Ladders
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 20 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 4 3/21

Su 11
M 5-7
Tu 800 meter pace or interval workout
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 25 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 5 3/28

Su 9
M 5-7
Tu 400 meter pace or interval workout
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 30 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 6 4/4

Su 12
M 5-7
Tu 200 meter pace or interval workout
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 30 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 7 4/11

Su 10
M 5-7
Tu Tempo 30 minutes
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 30 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 8 4/18

Su 13 miles-race distance
M 5 miles easy
Tu Hill Repeats
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 25 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 9 4/25

Su 9
M 5
Tu Fartlek
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 20 minutes
Sa 5 easy

Week 10 5/2

Su 9
M 5
Tu Pickups
W 5-7
Th Rest
F Tempo 15 hard!
Sa 5 easy

Week 11 5/9

Su 8
M 5-7
Tu Pickup Sets
W 5-7
Th Rest
F 5-7
Sa 5 easy

Week 12 5/16

Su 6
M 3-4
Tu Light Weights (optional
W 2-3 (optional)
Th Rest
F Rest
Sa Rest
Su-Race Day!

RE: Get ready, Lori!

WOW! You went thru alot of trouble!:eek: I printed it all off and I read it already.It sounds like an awesome plan.I like that Sunday is the long run.I don't normally do much on Sundays.
How was your day other then doing my dirty work?:) Did you have time for anything else? Probably not.BY the time you posted all of that it was time to go to bed.
I had a pretty good day.Eating went o.k. I ate to many choc.covered cashews,but aren't nuts good for you? And I thought that I heard choc(in moderation) is good for you as well:) I hope so.
I had a good workout today as well.I did Bootcamp and before each cardio segment I did a 10 min run.Except for 7-8 I only did a 5 min run each.I ended up doing a 70 min run.I have been amazed lately at how much energy I am having besides for working out.I haven't been tired in the afternoon in a while.And in the past when I use to do long workouts I would feel like a zombie for the rest of the day.I was talking to a girl today and she said that she was very tired and she thinks it is b/c she started running again.I guess if your not use to it.Running takes up alot of energy.I am so happy that my knees haven't been causing me any trouble either.
Im in such a good mood all of a sudden.I was grumpy before b/c of the stupid bank machines.
Well,thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) If I don't get to run the May race I will DEFINITLY be doing one this summer so can always keep the plan for then.Regardless I am going to train anyways (for fun) . I am going to make up my mind this week about the May one.I always feel so responsible for things at work.I don;t own the place so why should I be concerned that that saturday will be covered?
Anyway,thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.