14 yr old with cellulite dips - please help!!!

RhiannonW

Cathlete
How can my fit, 14 yr old daughter have cellulite dips? She's pear shaped, but thin everywhere but her butt and thighs. It's inherited, but is there anything I can encourage her to do? She plays soccer, vball and softball. Should she exercise more, eat less sugar or is it unfixable because it's inherited?

Thank you anyone who can give me thoughts or ideas.

Considering that 90 to 95 % of women have cellulite, I do not think there is anything to worry about. Your daughter is a real person, not one of the airbrushed fantasy pictures we are exposed to daily.

I would not point the cellulite out because I would not want to make the daughter more self-conscious as she already is as a teenager.

It's not the end of the world. Congrats that she is living a healthy life style.

I am reminding myself that you are not my mother but you kind of sound like her. when I was young my parents and especially my mother were obsessed with my weight because I was muscular and super fit. my mother came up to me on the beach when I was 13 to tell me to cut back because my thighs were too big,:mad: I then began a battle with bulimia. :mad: SERIOUSLY, do not create an issue. teenagers are very sensitive.

put this thing in perspective, if she is truly healthy, a healthy weight and she is fit and plays sports then she really is fine.
you probably have issues yourself, don't project your own issues on to your daughter. I could be totally wrong but just in case, I had to say it. your daughter is probably very aware of her body and has probably created her own idea of what her problems are. most women have cellulite, I did from a very young age, even though I was very fit.

that said, a clean whole foods diet is important for every age. teaching your daughter to prepare healthy food and to eat her greens will help set her up for a lifetime of health.

I have totally recovered from bulimia but my teeth and stomach will not recover properly and it has been 5 years. I also will always have a very serious problem with my mother.

Last edited:
How can my fit, 14 yr old daughter have cellulite dips? She's pear shaped, but thin everywhere but her butt and thighs. It's inherited, but is there anything I can encourage her to do? She plays soccer, vball and softball. Should she exercise more, eat less sugar or is it unfixable because it's inherited?

Thank you anyone who can give me thoughts or ideas.

First, please don't feel attacked as I honestly don't want to make you feel bad. However, my advice would be this: please don't concern yourself with any perceived flaws on your daughter's body. If she is healthy, active and fit that is wonderful. As mothers, we need to do all we can to buffer our daughters against the unrealistic ideals society jams down our throats when it comes to women's bodies. Your daughter doesn't sound like she needs to be "fixed". It's tough enough out there being a woman, let alone when our families reinforce these ideas. Here's a great article about cellulite and the fact that it's just plain normal and pretty much all women have it to some extent.
Cellulite: It’s Time We All Just Get the Hell Over It | Go Kaleo
HTH :)

I'm with you monkeydoodle. My mother used to call me thunderthighs. I was very active in school sports and swimming, so I had muscular legs. I too developed eating disorders when I was 14. I do know that drinking too much soda, esp. young, can make you get cellulite. But as long as she's active and eating healthy, just let it go. Sounds like a great kid to me.

I was going to ignore this post, but I just can't. And just for the record, I'm not accusing you of doing/saying anything wrong, so please hear me out.

I'm begging you to instal a healthy, positive body image within your daughter. I am a mother to a daughter, and a daughter to a Bulimic & Anorexic mother. I know the detrimental effects of having a mother who negatively obsessed about "weight" "cellulite" "fat thighs & butt" "diet" "starvation" "binging". The result is not pretty. I spent the majority of my teenage years thinking there was something wrong with me AND my cellulite butt and thighs. I was insecure, unhappy, depressed, overweight. Thank goodness I did not start my own downward spiral to an eating disorder or addiction.

Your daughter looks up to YOU the most. Please, PLEASE do not make an unnecessary "issue" about the cellulite on her perfect, healthy, beautiful body. The most you can do for her is encourage her to stay active, confident, and eat a healthy diet full of nutrient-dense foods that will provide her with the important vitamins & minerals she needs while growing. These years are VITAL, both mentally and physically.

I hate to sound "over-the-top" but this topics tears at my heart-strings.

Take care,

Natasha

14 yr old cellulite -help

Wow. I want to thank all of you who replied to me so quickly! I agree with all of you in that a mother should never say anything about such a looks issue. I have not and will not say anything to her. I overheard her little sister say something to her and I expected my eldest to ask me about it so I wanted to have some idea of what to suggest if she asked what can she do to help it. She is the most awesome kid and I did have a weight issue as a kid so I'm extra diligent about not saying anything about looks at all.

Thank you all again for wanting to help.

monkeydoodle and firemedic, I'm so sorry for what you guys went through. :( I hesitated to press "like" on your posts because of how sad stories like that make me feel! :confused: Like you guys and Natty, I had a mother who struggled with bulimia (and anorexia when she was in high school). For her, it was just the tip of the iceberg when it came to extreme, self-destructive behaviors and addictions. Fortunately for me, she tried her best not to put those kinds of self hating thoughts into me or my siblings and instead focused her demons inward. Of course, this was very destructive to her health and her soul and watching this as we grew up was still very tough on the whole family, despite not being told our bodies weren't perfect ourselves.

Because of my mother's struggles, I am extra cautious about promoting healthy behaviors for myself and trying to be the best example for my daughter than I can possibly be. Raising a daughter is SO incredibly hard, even when you have the best possible intentions! Sometimes it feels like navigating through shark infested waters with society the way it is...and she's only five. I have lots and lots of years to go!

I have no advice to give. I have two sons, and have no clue how to raise a girl.
I just wanted to say the subject of cellulite has come up on a fitness FB page I belong to, and a trainer said that we acquire cellulite until age 6 or 7 and it tapers off.
Doesn't seem like we can do anything about the amount of cellulite we have.
All we can do is focus on building muscle and staying strong. ;)I have it, and tried to starve it off, and discovered that is the worst thing you can do! Now I focus on building muscle. The thing is, women who carry fat in their lower body are at lower risk for so many health problems, so being a pear is not so bad.:cool:

Take all the soy out of her diet. The pear shape tells me she is getting more estrogen through her food than she needs. Only give her organic dairy and no yams. They are also an estrogen source. I'm estrogen dominant too, I feel her pain.

Cellulite can happen to anyone! My 15 yr old is 5'6 and about 95lbs. She's very active and healthy but has always been thin- def. doesn't get that from her mother :rolleyes:. But as thin as she is, you can see a couple spots on her thighs.

I think enough has been said about your concern with your daughter's thigh. I just want to jump on the bandwagon as well and say that my family also obsessed about weight. My grandmother was a model in San Francisco in the 1940's so weight was always tantamount to being attractive, accepted & "successful". My mom married a man who did not like children (not my real dad- he loved us unconditionally). My stepfather would tell me not to exercise so much because "it made my thighs big". He also put locks on the cabinets & fridges to prevent us from eating.

I too was very athletic in my 20's & 30's but never really felt good or great about my body. Scary what the mind can make you believe when brainwashed for years.

I believe growing up with this f****d mindset & belief about beauty & myself and identity led me to choose abusive men who constantly critisized me for my weight- I was at 119lbs, 22% body-fat and very fit- never "model thin" of course. Regardless, it ultimately lead to anorexia and exercise-bullemia in my 20's and 30's. I never got help but somehow with age, learned to get past my athletic "non-model" body. My mom & sister were both bullemic.

Please be gentle with your daughters developing psyche. She's at such a vulnerable time in her life, she needs total acceptance & unconditional love regardless of a few lumps & bumps.

Now, go give your daughter a great big hug!

Pam

The only thing that disturbs me about this thread is how quickly we have assumed that the poster, the mother who wrote for advice out of concern and love for her child, is the one who has been imposing unhealthy thoughts about the female body and its propensity to store fat upon her daughter. I didn't reach that conclusion from reading her original post.

From raising two teenage daughters of my own and having dealt with body dysmorphia most of my life, I am well aware of the dangers to them of every little thing I might say and I check myself constantly.

However, I am quite heartily sick of society --social studies, psychologists, psychiatrists-- telling me that if my daughter suffers acute anxiety disorder with episodes of panic and low self esteem then this must necessarily be because I, as her mother and principle female role model, have given her these conditions, that I have fostered her tendencies to feel bad about herself.

Sometimes, no matter what I say to my girls or how often I say it, they perceive messages from their school, their school peers and from society in general that they don't measure up, are not good enough, not slim enough, not smart enough. Etc, etc.

Could we please stop assuming that mothers are to blame and could we give each other credit for doing great work raising the next generation of young women in spite of all the crap with which we and they are bombarded regarding the ideal woman, femininity and the female body.

Thank you for listening. This post is not meant to target any individual at all. Just my own feelings on this issue having had to swallow the impressions of my daughter's psychiatrist, even though she is working with only a partial picture. When will women learn to support each other and not tear ourselves down?

To every woman who posted on this thread with tales of a personal history with body issues: I get it, I understand and I wish none of us had to go through it. We are all so much more worthy than we think.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.