"So you think you can dance" fans?

kathryn

Cathlete
Anybody else watch this?
I love it! It's amazing to me to see the way some people can move.

I also like to see all different types of dancers dancing in different styles (though I don't really "get" lyrical..kind of like I don't "get" some modern art). Like Jamile, the "pop and locker," who did a mean quick step (though not tonight, according to the judges), and break dancers who pull of a really good latin dance.

I'm a bit disappointed Snow was voted off. She is cool, and I love her flamenco-style signature dance.

It was time, though for "Big Papa" to go. He couldn't do much besides hip-hop, and got be on his, admittedly-charming, personality. But he wasn't a good all-around dancer.

Tell me I'm not the only one hooked on this show!

RE:

I love it too! It a great show! It's amazing how well they do in dances that aren't their genre. Even those who don't do it "perfectly" still do pretty darn good!

RE:

Kathryn,
I missed most of it last night, but have watched it a few times now. It's really a lot of fun to watch people dance so well. The dancers are awesome. I'm definitely getting hooked on it. :D
-Nancy

RE:

I love this show!

I am a retired dancer, and so much of this show is dead on about what dancing professionally is all about. Nigel is the best judge! He is absolutely right about all of the contestants.
I also liked Snow, only because she had a "unique" quality that you really were intrigued by. Personally I am really over Melodie. If I have to see another one of her crotch shot extensions I am going to puke. She is very good technically, but very one dimensional, imo.
Can you tell I am just a little opinionated?

This week I think Ray and Destiny will go, although obviously I would not cry about Melodie getting the boot.

Who do you think will win it all?

RE:

Oh, I love this show too! I thought they all did great last night. I rewound Destinee and Jamile's hip-hop routine and watched it a few times. I wish I could dance.

I agree about Melody's crotch shots! I know it's impressive she can hold her split like that, but it's time for her to mix it up a bit. But Snow bugged me for some reason; I wasn't sorry to see her go.

I have a crush on Artem, and he was smoldering last night!

I have to agree with the judges about Blake and Ashlee. They are just fabulous together. I also love Nick. He's probably my favorite.

Mia (the judge) drives me nuts. She can't form a complete sentence. Did anyone notice her holding a puppy last night? What the heck?

I'm at the point where I don't want anyone to get eliminated. Ryan is probably the worst dancer, but I have a feeling he will get more votes than Jamile.

RE:

I agree about Melody: so she can stick her leg up in the air? Big whoop! We've seen it already. Gettin' a bit old.

One of the judges (the "touchy-feely" modern dance woman) even said something like: "Melody, we know you can do the leg, now we've got to see more dancing!"

I will be very disappointed if Jamile gets the boot! He seems much more versatile than the spikey-haired guy. I'd love to see him grow.(And not bad eye candy, either!).

As for the women, when I saw Melody do yet another (ho-hum) "standing split" move in her solo, I was ready for her to go.

It's kind of unfortunate that the bottom COUPLES are always chosen. If you get a bad partner, even if you are strong, they can drag you into the bottom 2.

I wonder what will happen when there are fewer contestants? Will they still pick the bottom 2 couples when there are only 3 left?

As for who will win: I'm wondering if it might not be that guy who was very cocky in the beginning? (I'm so bad with names). I don't think he's ever had a bad comment about his dancing since they started the pair work (has he?). His technique seems very strong (at least from a lay point of view), and he's done well in different genres. A very strong dancer.

Each of them is strong in certain areas (Jamile in hip-hop--that routine was FABULOUS!---and pop-and-lock, another guy in ballroom), and some have shown versatility (Jamile again), but it all depends on the luck of the draw, in a way. If ballroom guy always picks a ballroom-type dance, he'll probably keep going. If he every chooses hip-hop, I'm not sure what the results will be!

RE:

Kathyrn,

I agree that it stinks that the couples are up for elimination instead of individuals. I think that's why Ryan was miming "Don't vote for me" after his solo at the end. He probably feels guilty that he got Snow and Melody into the final two.

Blake is the guy who was so cocky in the beginning. He used to date Brian, the curly haired judge. I think that's the reason the other dancers were threatened by him early on - not just because he's already a professional dancer - but because it seems like he has an "in" with the judges.

I like Jamile too, over Ryan. But I fear that the teeny-boppers will vote for Ryan in droves. Those little screaming girls were annoying last night!

RE:

I didn't know Blake dated Brian. I know he dissed him earlier, but I didn't know they had a history. Frankly, I don't even think Blake should have been put into the finals, only because of his remarks about Brian. You just don't diss your choreographer. You get FIRED for that stuff in the "real" world.

I think Rick will win this. He has the whole package, versatility, likeablity, and he makes every partner he has look good.

I really hope Jamile doesn't get eliminated, he has much more potential than Ryan. Like the judge said, he has a problem dancing on his feet. I think that is a MAJOR problem for a dancer!

Artem was the hottie of the night for me! He and Ashle are improving the most over any of the rest of the competition, which is fun to see. You find yourself looking forward to what they do next.

I hope they bring this show back next year, does anyone know how it is doing in the ratings??

RE:

Hi Conni,

That was Dan (Brian is the one with the curly hair)that Blake dissed. I agree, it was terribly unprofessional. It's obvious he's trying to be super humble now so that the audience will vote for him if he ends up in the bottom two...

ETA: I think it's doing pretty well in the ratings. Not sure how well, but it's definitely not tanking...

RE:

>I hope they bring this show back next year, does anyone know
>how it is doing in the ratings??

It must be doing pretty well, because they had more votes than American Idol the first night.

I do hope it comes back, because it's really interesting.

LaGuapa: where did you hear that Blake dated Brian? I think that would be a cause for elimination, since there would be a conflict of interests for the judge. Or a potential scandal. What if Blake wins. Some people would be sure to accuse the judge of favoritism if they knew their background. (And my "gaydar" doesn't go off for either Blake or the judge, while with that one dancer, it's blaring full blast!!)

RE:

I am most impressed with Blake and Nick.

I hope it comes back.

Edited after I read the entire thread thoroughly. ;)

RE:

Hi Kathryn,

Regarding Blake and Brian, I've read about it in several places, most recently on the message board for Television Without Pity, where some dancers who know both of them post regularly. The judges knew about it beforehand and Blake was asked to audtition. Many people who have worked with them in the dance world have confirmed it. They even mentioned on one of the shows (when they were telling people if they made it to the final 16) that Brian had hired Blake for jobs before. There is an article in some dance magazine (I can't remember the name of it offhand) about Blake and Brian is mentioned in it several times.
I love to watch Blake dance, but I think it does reek of favoritism and that he is so far ahead of the others career-wise that he shouldn't be in the competition. I've noticed that Brian gives Blake the shortest critiques at the end of his dances. Kind of like he shouldn't say too much. (I don't think they are together now and it doesn't sound like it was a very long or serious relationship from what I've read).
I can't believe I know all this. I sound like an obsessed teenage fangirl!

RE:

Sounds fishy to me.
Almost like it's rigged.
How could some kind of scandal NOT come out of this?

I also think it's unfair that Blake is already a professional dancer. Are there no rules against that? Though I guess some of the others have danced professionally as well.

RE:

I agree, Kathryn. I think that Artem is a professional dancer, along with a few of the others (I can't remember who). Allen (Big Poppa) and I think many of the others teach at dance schools, which I guess is a little different.

But I think Blake is just far beyond the others, even the ones who are also pros. He went on tour with Britney Spears, he teaches at the best hip-hop school in the country, he's been able to make a good living by dancing. I have a feeling the others are still struggling in their careers.

I bet we will start hearing complaints from the ousted dancers if Blake ends up winning the whole thing.

RE:

I'm so behind on my TV watching! I like this show but only got to see the last 15 minutes last night. I know Jamile, Ryan, Snow and Melody, but have never heard of Blake, Nick, Brian or Dan. I agree that Melody is very repetitious.

While I'm at it, what does "O.C." stand for and what's the premise of "Lost"? I love TV, but don't get much time to watch. :(

RE:

I'm loving this show!!! I admire people who can dance.

I was very impressed with Destini and Jamile's hip hop offering. Wow. I would vote Destini off but I don't think Melody will make the next cut. I think Jamile should stay but the teenies will probably vote for Ryan in droves. So who knows what will happen?

Did anyone else notice Destini's bra in her dance off number at the end of the show? They must have had problems back stage!

Overall I'm a Nick fan and an Ashle/Melissa fan. Blake soured me in the beginning with his attitude (though he is very good). Kamilah tries so hard to be seen as this sweet and loving person (plus she's kind of a suck-up). Why does she feel the need to do this?

Can't wait til next week!!!

-Angie

RE:

I think some of the "Blake" problem has to do with the lack of really good male dancers. If you look at the competition there is a boatload of decently trained females, but not that many males. That is why we are seeing these street dancers that are really out of their league technically and you know they do not have a chance in hell against the Nick or Blake types.

I am hoping that if the show returns you will more trained men audition. I think alot of dancers thought this was going to be more of a hip-hop kind of competition, and, thankfully ( to me..) it has evolved into something pretty credible in the dance community. Don't get me wrong, hip hop is cool, but professional dancers in the business need to be so technically proficient that they can also do other things.

My money is on Nick for the guys, and right now I am seeing Ashle with the edge for the gals...

Is it Wednesday yet???

RE:

>While I'm at it, what does "O.C." stand for and what's the
>premise of "Lost"? I love TV, but don't get much time to
>watch. :(

"O.C" is "Orange County" (I think). It looks like another updated Beverly Hills 90210 to me (but I've never watched it).

"Lost" is very intriguing: a bit drama, mystery, even sci-fi/horror perhaps. 40-some people survive a plane crash and are stranded on a deserted island (which isn't really!). There is some kind of "creature "on the island. One of the children seems to be able to create polar bears from his imagination. There are "others" on the island, as well as a French survivor from a previous crash, and all sorts of dangers. And a paraplegic can now walk.

Actually hard to explain! DO you get netflix? YOu could rent the first season DVD's to catch up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.