Will I ever get it?

strong@heart

Cathlete
Hi! I've been incorporating Cathe workouts into my exercise regimen for about 2 months now. Prior to Cathe, I used Firm workouts for 7 years and have used gym aerobic classes prior to that. I seem to be having some difficulty in following some of the step moves. Like for example, hop turns to the back and when the moves travel all over the bench switching alternate lead. I get so confused and although I am no novice when it comes to stepping, I find some of these moves very difficult to master even after watching them a few times. It is so frustrating! I am wondering if anyone else had some trouble in the beginning and how long realistically did it take to get most of her moves "down pat"? Thanks for any input!

I'm with Gretchen on this--hang in there! I too recently decided to attempt Cathe cardio, and like you, I felt a certain amount of frustration. I have gotten a few of her CTX step routines down, and I'm having a blast with them. Now I'm looking forward to learning Rhythmic Step, which for me, is saying a lot.

I did find myself getting lost when I had to turn my back to the tv. I found that if I stopped and watched what was going on before attempting the move, it helped tremendously. Take the learning process in small increments. It's mentally fatiguing to learn new choreography and if you're trying to do too much at once you'll end up feeling defeated.

I think that we all consider the components of fitness to be strength, cardiovascular endurance, and flexibility, but so many of us underestimate the value of coordination. Besides that, I feel like I'm utilizing some very under-utilized brain cells when
attempting to learn complex choreography, maybe in the process I'm adding brain mass!

I'm so glad to read these posts. I just tried Rythmic Step for the 2nd time and may I say, it was hard. I ususally get challenging step video's within the 2nd - 3rd time. This was my 2nd time doing it and 3rd time watching it and on the 3rd section, I'm lost. I was so frustrated. I gave up and did something I was familiar with and felt a little better. I was encouraged to read your posts. I have to practice the 3rd section later, until I get it. So my next time working out to it, I will get it all the way through. It is a fun tape though, once I get the move. I really like the side kicks on the step.
Fathye

Hang in there - you'll get it! You didn't mention which Cathe videos you are starting with - some are much more complex than others. I had a very tough time with the choreography when I first started and modified a lot. I couldn't do hop turns for six months probably!! I just did knee-ups instead so I was always facing the tv.
I think one suggestion I've seen on the forum to learn choreography was to try with just a 4" step or even no step - you could do this at a time when you are not doing your "formal" workout and maybe you won't get so frustrated.

Erica

I've been doing Cathe for almost 2 years now (how can that be?!) and I STILL have trouble with a "rebound to the back." I think I'm getting it, finally.

It will come, and it's worth it to stick with her. I did Rhythmic Step for the second time yesterday, and it's going to take me a couple more times to get the third part down. Just keep doin' it. It will come.

She is so fun that I have to force myself to do anything else. I'm finally going to walk today after weeks of just Cathe tapes, and I still haven't mastered that Nordictrack that I've had for 3 months now.

Cathe, you're just too good!;-)

Hello Strong@heart,
I have been doing cathe for 1 year or so. I have been catching on pretty quickly to her tapes after I have mastered one. I started with Mega step blast. Two things that worked for me to learn 1. I try to master the feet first and add in the arms when I have it down. 2. When there is hop turns and all that confusing turning to the back I watch which foot Cathe starts with and ends the move with and do the same. I know that you probably want to get in a good work out but I would suggest rewind and repeat. Good luck - you will get it. I remember when my first Cher video (which I still love) was hard for me because of choreography and how hard it was. Now I get a mediocre workout with that video after doing Cathe.
Best Wishes,
Tracy

Hi there. The things that have helped me is to definitely watch them first and not use them as a workout. If I am using them for a workout and can't get one of the harder parts, I just modify by doing something else, as suggested, knee ups. I find that if I watch the tapes w/o using them as a workout and then when it gets to a difficult part, I put my VCR in slow motion so I can really see what it going on. It has helped me tremendously and I can now do all her tapes, just my 2 cents. Good luck and don't give up. you will get them eventually. Take care. Mary
http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/animals/ride.gif[/IMG]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/otn/animals/ride.gif[/IMG]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-01 AT 10:41PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey Strong . . .

I've been doing Cathe for about a year now, and I still have two left feet on some moves. I just motify with something else and the rewind button is my buddy and my pal on some tapes. I still have not attempted Rhythmic Step because I'm concerned I'm going to fall on my face.

Now when I do feel bold . . . I'll try a step that I've watched Cathe do time and time again (Of course I just look at the move going, "You've got to be kidding."). Sometimes I'll get in and not go back, other times, I'll fail and go back to my modification.

I agree . . . Hang in there, you'll get it and it will come to you. Then others will be looking at you in awe when you do these tapes and wonder how you can do them with such ease . . . if only they knew, huh?

[link:mykbtforum.efree2net.com/|KBT Forum]

patience

Hi - Some encouraging news for you. I've been doing Cathe tapes since the Fall of 2000, and I am NOT/NOT a choreography buff at all. I started out with Step Heat and then went to Mega Step Blast. The choreography in those two is simple, relatively speaking, altho it didn't seem so at the time. Then, after I mastered those, I moved up through Cathe's catalogue chronologically---after MSB and SH, I went to Step Max, then Step Jam (tough in the third section!), Power Max, Step Fit, Step Works, and now, Rhythmic Step. Along the way, I mixed in Body Max, Max Intensity Cardio, Interval Max, Cross Train Express, Circuit Max, and Cardio Kicks. What I discovered is that Cathe's choreography seems to build on to each sucessive tape. For example, the rockhorse-shoot over the step--triples around and down the board sequence originated in the cool down part of Step Fit. She subsequently used that move or a variation of it in Cross Train x-press and Rhythmic Step. PREVIEW the tapes. I found that writing down the moves and later visualizing helped me remember them. Also, learn one section of a tape at a time and once you master a portion, learn the rest of the tape. Be patient and laugh at yourself. I'm FINALLY mastering Rhythmic Step, and let me tell you, it is tough but fun! Some moves you'll never get---I cannot do an up and back, so I just substitute a over the board or a lunge. It works. Doesn't look as cool, but hey, who's watching but my three golden retrievers? They love me, regardless of my two left feet! Remember that half the fun is learning the tape. Enjoy. suzanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.