Where should I begin?

iiiee

The Firm vs. Cathe (Where should I begin?)

Hi everyone! I'm 28 years old, 5'0" (shorty), and I weigh approximately 145-150 pounds :eek:. I'd like to start wth Cathe's Original Health Club Step + Starter Step DVD Value Pack as an introduction to Cathe's workouts, but I have knee and back problems, so I'm afraid I may be going in way over my head starting here. I've read that many of Cathe fans started with The Firm workout systems before transitioning to Cathe, and I'm wondering if that's a better place for me to start. I'm actually pretty strong for a girl (picking up a 30-pound toddler everyday can do that), but I have some older Firm workouts that I just could not get into because I found them boring, even though they were challenging, and I really don't want to waste my money on something I'm not going to stick with. I'd really rather start with Cathe but am afraid of injuring or burning myself out before I even begin. I can get easily discouraged. Can anyone please tell me where I should begin? Cathe's Starter Kit or The Firm? I think I pretty much know the answer to my question, but I'd appreciate anyone's comments or suggestions. I do know, however, that once I start with Cathe, I'm going to stick with her workouts for life. (Can't wait to try the new STS system!!! It looks amazing...) I can just tell that the quality of her workouts and systems are unmistakeably supreme, even though I've never tried any of her workouts yet. Thanks for your help!! :D

Last edited:
The FIRM vs Cathe

I did the FIRM for approx 5 years before hearing about Cathe on the FIRM Forums. What I did was do a combo of both for about 6 months, then did all Cathe.
Good luck. Once you start with Cathe, you will not want to stop!

I did the FIRM for approx 5 years before hearing about Cathe on the FIRM Forums. What I did was do a combo of both for about 6 months, then did all Cathe.
Good luck. Once you start with Cathe, you will not want to stop!

Hmm. . . that's not a bad suggestion, thanks!

Hello. You stats sound similar to what mine were. I say that your choice sounds good. I would start there if you've never done step before. It is very basic. Start slow and do what feels right but most importantly do not feel discouraged if you don't get it right away. It took me years to get to where I am now. I don't believe in scales and never weigh myself but now I can fit a size 2 I used to wear a 12. I run 20 miles a week and can do boy push ups. I'm stronger than I have ever been thanks to Cathe. You can do it. Cathe is so much fun to work out with just remember to listen to her cues on form. Let us know how it all goes!

Hello. You stats sound similar to what mine were. I say that your choice sounds good. I would start there if you've never done step before. It is very basic. Start slow and do what feels right but most importantly do not feel discouraged if you don't get it right away. It took me years to get to where I am now. I don't believe in scales and never weigh myself but now I can fit a size 2 I used to wear a 12. I run 20 miles a week and can do boy push ups. I'm stronger than I have ever been thanks to Cathe. You can do it. Cathe is so much fun to work out with just remember to listen to her cues on form. Let us know how it all goes!

Wow! I hope to progress to your level someday. Your comment was very helpful, and your words were most certainly encouraging, thank you!

Wow! I hope to progress to your level someday. Your comment was very helpful, and your words were most certainly encouraging, thank you!

You bet! I really was where you were. I also was not a fan of the Firm workouts. I found them really robotic and boring, . . but effective. Cathe is so personable and I love the music selection in her DVD's they really help to motivate. The best advice I could give you would be to find a workout that is fun. You are more opt to keep doing it when you enjoy it. When the IPOD first came out I bought one and downloaded fast heart pumping music. I would take my baby for a walk in a baby jogger and just walk. I started super slow. Then I was walking one song and running the next. All of a sudden I was running. I took the next step which was diet and I started really slow there too. Just making smart choices and replacing the fast food. Because I have kids I ended up having to join a gym with a day care so that I could workout uninterrupted. Like Cathe says in her DVD's this is your time. You WILL get there. I promise. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.