where do circuit/awt workouts fit in?

nightowl81

Cathlete
I did Jillian Micheal's Boost Metabolism the other day in sub for my CLX interval workout. I was thinking how much I really enjoy these type of workouts... Along with Cathe's Bootcamp, Highstep workouts, Cardio & Weights, Drill Max and Firm style AWT. I could do these type of workouts all week. Where do these type of workouts fit in with the splits (like STS style)?

It seems like doing our cardio and lifting heavy separate is the way to go though....but those other circuit type workouts are so fun! Some of them use heavier weights so don't seem like a good idea to use them as cardio like CLX does... so when would I do those style of workouts? Would it be possible to do a round of maybe STS and maintain results with the Bootcamp/Circuit style workouts?

Hi Nightowl!
I love circuit workouts too!! Isn't Jillian's Boost Metabolism tough!? In the past I've done rotations like this: circuit, cardio, total body, cardio, circuit. That way I would have time in between my circuits and weight training days to let my muscles rest, and I could get my "circuit fix" in twice per week :p. I didn't think it was a good idea to lift and then do a circuit the next day, but maybe others have better advice. It doesn't seem like circuits would fit in much with STS since every other day is weights. Unless after leg day you did an upper body circuit premix (or the cardio only premixes would be a good option too).

Good luck deciding what to do, I love my circuits too! :)

Count me in!!
I m not even sure why I buy STS (wich I love)... but my preference always has been Circuits

I did Jillian Micheal's Boost Metabolism the other day in sub for my CLX interval workout. I was thinking how much I really enjoy these type of workouts... Along with Cathe's Bootcamp, Highstep workouts, Cardio & Weights, Drill Max and Firm style AWT. I could do these type of workouts all week. Where do these type of workouts fit in with the splits (like STS style)?

It seems like doing our cardio and lifting heavy separate is the way to go though....but those other circuit type workouts are so fun! Some of them use heavier weights so don't seem like a good idea to use them as cardio like CLX does... so when would I do those style of workouts? Would it be possible to do a round of maybe STS and maintain results with the Bootcamp/Circuit style workouts?

I swear, I could have written this post, word for word! I do the same thing with my CLX routine, and love the circuit training and was wondering how it would fit in with STS! I wonder if I am posting in my sleep under another avatar? :D

Would it be possible to do a round of maybe STS and maintain results with the Bootcamp/Circuit style workouts?
That's what I do. I lift heavy for a while, then I switch things up and work with a 2 or 3 week circuit rotation.

It keeps my 3 day splits from getting boring, the extra cardio is a nice change too, and I suspect it's good for my joints and muscles to work them in a slightly different way.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.