What to buy/do after Basic Step/ Body Fusion DVD?

Mariela

Cathlete
Well, I'm in the same boat as some of you in the thread "How would you get back to it?", that Janice posted. I'm re-starting to workout after a while. (I never got too far, though, from all that starting and stopping, but this time I'm commited to overcome the obstacles that prevented me from sticking with my workouts.) The thing is, I am at an intermediate or beginner intermediate level right now. After a rotation with Basic Step/Body Fusion DVD (which I will get soon), what should I do next? Should I buy/do other instructor's workouts, or do you think I may be ready for other Cathe workouts? If the latest, which ones? (I saw list in the first thread of this forum; the one that says "Results are in" or something like that, but I still have doubts.)

Four years ago, I started with the Cardio Hits DVD. I had never done step, and hadn't really exercised much before that at all. I did Power Max over and over again (usually only the warm up, one step section and the cool down) until I built up to the whole DVD. It was complex enough to be interesting while I became more physically able to get through the whole workout, then finally to be able to add a lot of enthusiastic power to the moves. After mastering Power Max, there were two more great workouts on that disc to do the same thing with. Now I have all of Cathe's current DVDs and Cardio Hits is still my favorite because it took me from being an out-of-shape slug to someone who could (kinda) keep up with Cathe.

So, for belated brevity's sake, the Cardio Hits DVD would be my suggestion for yout next purchase.

Good luck!

I went from Basic Step and Body Fusion to the Cardio Hits dvd-I too broke it down so it was easier to learn-and so I would agree and say it's a good option for you. You can also consider The Classics DVD in which I am told the choreography is easier than Cardio Hits but more advanced than Basic Step and Body Fusion....

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~
Due Date: 5/19/05

http://www.bullmarketer.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/Sports/exercise/thumb_exercise15.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Thank you for your quick replies. I already have Step Heat and Mega Step Blast on video tape, so I guess those would do for cardio. For strength I saw in the list I mentioned, that Push/Pull and Supersets are the "easiests", obviously after the ones from the beginners DVD and How to get in shape for the wedding strength portion.

But what do you suggest as a next circuit, and as a kickboxing starter? All of them seem pretty hard from what I have heard of.

I just did Basic Step and Body Fusion for the first time today. I did them both, back to back, but not the add ons (upper body, lower body, abs) [had to quit at some point, LOL]. So I feel fit enough to handle something more advanced...but it was sure nice to actually be able to get the choreography down pretty easily for a change! This is an excellent intro to Cathe!

I recommend the Body Blast series. I consider myself to be high intermediate level and I love the whole Body Blast series. I think Step, Jump, and Pump is very doable for intermediate level. There are intensity blasts in the hi/lo section, but can be modified very easily. Step Blast I also find not very hard until you get to the step blast section at the end. Supersets and Push/Pull I definitely find to be Cathe's easiest weight workouts, but I love them because you can really heavy up on the 2/2 count. While Legs & Glutes totally fries my legs, it is very doable for intermediate level. Kick Punch & Crunch is HARD for me, but I love it. Even with modifications I have yet to finish this workout. Of all Cathe's workouts, I think the Body Blast series is my favorite, and I think that is because I'm intermediate level and the workouts don't totally blow me away.

Cardio & Weights from the Intensity series is a good circuit workout that most people find easier than Cathe's others. It's still very challenging for me (also getting started again after being sidelined by bursitis for several months) but I think it's a good next step after Body Fusion.

I also love Push/Pull and Supersets - they got me in great shape last Spring and I plan on using them again before my annual May beach trip this year. Again, "easy" on the Cathe scale is different from easy on any other scale and these will probably challenge you for a good, long while.

One other suggestion if it's in your budget, is the CTX series. The great thing about that series is that the cardio sections, although very intense, are all under 30 minutes which makes them seem more doable to me. There's a good Kickbox workout in the series too.

Yes, they are all pretty hard but if you use a step w/ no risers and work your way up, these will grow with you. I think they are very versatile.

Good luck,
Dana

>One other suggestion if it's in your budget, is the CTX
>series. The great thing about that series is that the cardio
>sections, although very intense, are all under 30 minutes
>which makes them seem more doable to me. There's a good
>Kickbox workout in the series too.

I agree with you. I have CTX and absolutely love it! The kickbox work out is a lot of fun but at the same time it really kicks your butt!:)

I also like it because there are endless possiblities of new work outs you can create with in that series alone to make your work outs longer, shorter, harder, easier, or just plain old different. I am thinking of stringing up every kickbox work out/segment and doing them back to back. Could do the same with the step sections, the high/low, etc...there is sooo much to choose from. I am really glad that I invested in it!

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~
Due Date: 5/19/05

http://www.bullmarketer.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/Sports/exercise/thumb_exercise15.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.