virus warning

Marnie

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I just read this on the Runner's World Forum and I thought I would share it with you guys. Two people in my office received this virus attachment this morning. Luckily we run anti-virus software, but it's good to be aware, especially since we are all using the i-net via this forum. -marnie

Begin quoted post:

Because I use a unique e-mail address on the forums, I was able to pinpoint several virus-laden e-mails arriving in my inbox as most likely from readers of the forum.

Apparently, this virus, W32.badtrans.B@mm, searches for e-mail addresses in a user's Internet Cache and then sends the virus to those addresses (i.e. temporary storage for pages that you are reading from the internet).

So, watch out for messages containing attachments from people you don't know. Be especially wary of attachments with extensions .pif and .scr. Delete these messages immediately.

And please, if you're reading, update your virus scanning software and run a full scan of your system. As a user of this forum, you are at risk.

Unless, of course, you are a non-Windows user. Lucky dogs.

You are probably also protected if you have elected to mask your e-mail address to the forum.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.