Tough Ab tapes?????

khuynh

Cathlete
Hi there,

I'm looking for some really tough ab work. I've got quite a few tapes but they just aren't cutting it anymore.

They are:

Core Conditioning Pilates
Abs for Steel
Pilates Precision Toning
Ab Attack
ABSolutely Fit (ICKY!)
Firm 5 day abs
Firm more 5 day abs
I have every Cathe tape and almost every Firm tape (the newer ones are awful, my humble opinion).

Any suggestions?

Thanks. :D

[link:mykbtforum.efree2net.com/|KBT Forum]

Hi, there. I think you should look for tapes that use stabilization to work the abs, concentrating on strengthening your core. Keli Roberts has a good one, Abs and More. It has 4 different segments for a total of 40 minutes. Each segment progresses upward in difficulty. I also think the abs in Power Hour and Circuit Max are killers!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-01 AT 02:00PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Keta,
I have all the videos you listed and I agree with your assessment (ABSolutely Fit is icky indeed! :-rollen ). Here is what I used to bust my abs plateau recently:

Stott Pilates New Matwork Series. These are the toughest Pilates tapes I have done. Since you have already done Pilates, I suggest that you skip the "New Essential Matwork" and get "New Intermediate Matwork" and eventually "Advanced Intermediate Matwork" (the advanced tape is really advanced :-wow ).

"Fitball: Lower Body Challenge" and "Fitball: Upper Body Challenge". These tapes are about 35-40 minutes each. They contain several abs segments (about 15 minutes total per tapes), but, since you are working with a ball, your abs are used to stabilize your body throughout the whole workout. I personally prefer the Lower Body one, but both are well-cued and effective.

These tapes are not the most exciting I own (one-on-one instruction, bland music, etc...), but they are well produced and, more importantly, they are very effective because they provide you with a different way to work the muscles. Hope this helps :)

GP

Khuynh,
I also like Keli Roberts Abs and More. I find it easier to hold my stomach in during the day without thinking about it after I do the video. Keli uses stabilization techniques that are different from regular old crunches. I can't say that I've tried the pilates tapes Girlpower mentioned, but they sound good too.

Girlpower: If you read this, I have a question about the pilates tapes...Do the moves require you to put stress on your wrists like some of Cathe's plank work in her videos? I have bad wrists and can't do any exercise like push ups, dips, planks on your arms (elbows are OK). Just wondering since I've been trying to get rid of my gut too!

Thanks!
Cruncholi

Cruncholi,

There are a few Pilates movement that put stress on the wrists (Mermaid, Leg pull-down, Push-ups). However, this is a very small portion of the entire workout, especially since Pilates uses only a few reps. I think you could skip or modify these moves and still work your abs really well. I also have Keli Roberts' tape and I like it, but I find that the Stott tapes are more intense.

GP

I have a question about some of the tapes you listed that you have which just aren't doing it for you anymore. I was interested in getting Ab Attack (this is the Trish Muse tape, right?) I wondered what this tape is like and how you would categorize it. I'm the same way with the Pilates moves, I bet they work great, but I can't seem to hold myself up there long enough to get any benefit. I also cannot do the triceps dips Cathe does in some of the videos. Where can I get the Stott tapes mentioned - are they in Collage? Thanks for any input,
Tricia

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-01 AT 11:29AM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-01 AT 11:28 AM (Est)[/font]

Tricia,
The Stott Pilates tapes are available at Collage or on Stott's web site (www.stottpilates.com).
I think that Ab Attack offers a competent workout (Trish Muse is a physical therapist), but I find that I don't reach for this tape very often. It is composed of two thity-minute segments: The first is what appears to me like a never-ending series of crunch variations :-sleepy . She alternates tougher exercices with easy ones,which tends to get boring if you are an advanced exercicer. Basically, I find that I get better results with 10 minutes of Cathy's ab work than with this longer workout. The second segment consists of stabilization work, lower back, and upper back conditioning. There is a relatively long set of exercices done in table position (on your hands and knees), which you may want to avoid if you have wrists problems.
Hope this help :)
GP

I have Ab Attack. It's good traditional ab & lower back work but it's an hour long. You can split it into 2 workouts. Great instructional video but I can't bring myself to use it. It's available at Collage.

I have The Method's Precision Toning & 2 Stott tapes & enjoy all of them, though prefer Stott. I can enjoy 45-60 minutes of Pilates probably because one works the entire torso & legs. You can order directly from Stott, but you can find The Method & Stott tapes at retailers like Suncoast Videos & Borders. Target often carries The Method tapes.

If Special K is still running their offer, you can get a short Stott intro tape for $2. It includes basic moves with beginning modifications. Otherwise I'd go with Stott's beginning matwork so you can learn modifications.

Debra

Thanks!

I think I will try the Stott Beginner tape, that way I can see how to modify like you said. Thanks for all the input!!
Tricia

RE: Thanks!

I'll send you . . . Ab Attack, if you're interested. I don't like it and it's easy for me. I'd be glad to send it to you, but you need to do something for me. That is to do something similar to this for someone else when you can. Agreed?

Keta. :D

[link:mykbtforum.efree2net.com/forum/default.asp|KBT Forum]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.