Too many calories burned? Inaccurate HRM?

emmaboo

hey there,
So i bought a HRM watch (not a top of the line one tho) and decided to try B&G Standing glute work to see my heart rate and calories burned.
I am 5'2, 149 lbs and could not finish the whole standing glute work and I took soem breaks in between. For he squats/lunges i missed , I did some jumping jacks. After 30 min of workout my watch said I burned over 500 cals. Is this possible????? What do you burn normally for the one part of the workout?
BTW I am NOT in good shape so I was working and panting! LOL

Last edited:
It could be right - I logged B&G into the Workout Manager (using my personal stats) and the calculated calories burned were 550 - it is one tough workout!

I agree that I could totally burn that many cals BUT if I did the whole thing- i only did 90% of the STANDING work, I didn't even do the floor work.

hey michefit--maybe a dumb ques. How do you log the different work outs in the WM to find out how many calories burned?

I believe it. My HR monitor said I burned something like 370 cals doing GS Legs the other day - and that was around 35 minutes (standing only). And B&G's leg work gets my heart rate up more than GS's does.

hey there,
So i bought a HRM watch (not a top of the line one tho) and decided to try B&G Standing glute work to see my heart rate and calories burned.
I am 5'2, 149 lbs and could not finish the whole standing glute work and I took soem breaks in between. For he squats/lunges i missed , I did some jumping jacks. After 30 min of workout my watch said I burned over 500 cals. Is this possible????? What do you burn normally for the one part of the workout?
BTW I am NOT in good shape so I was working and panting! LOL

It is very, very possible that you burned that many calories. If you have recently started working out again then it's likely you are going to burn a lot of calories at the beginning until your body becomes more efficient. If it is still a concern, double check that you entered your height, weight and any other information correctly into your watch when you set it up. :=)

Purchasing Heart Rate Monitor

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a HRM but I am clueless. What should I look for, what brand, how much to spend? I appreciate any information on this. Thanks!

I have a Timex and I love it. It was $60 from amazon.com. and it was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. It shows you how long you worked out (assuming you start the monitor at the beginning of the workout and stop it at the end of your workout), your highest heart rate recorded during the workout, the average heart rate recorded, the minutes spent in your Target Heart Rate Zone, and the number of calories burned. I really enjoy this little gadget!!

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing a HRM but I am clueless. What should I look for, what brand, how much to spend? I appreciate any information on this. Thanks!

I have an F6 Polar watch that has the same features as Jillybean's. I've had mine for almost four years and love it. Other than having to replace the battery, I have not had any problems. I've gotten five other people to buy the same watch and they have also enjoyed theirs. Mine is a pretty basic model and it cost around $100.00.

My hrm is Reebok and was appx $60, but it is not the best. I wish I had spent more to buy a better quality monitor.

We've got a Polar F6, too, and it's great. My husband and I share it, so we got the "men's" version of it. It was around $100 on Amazon, but it's easy to use and seems very accurate.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.