Suggestion for a Strength / Muscle toning workout?

Hi,
I am fairly new to Cathe's fitness workouts.
I am 56 and have the Muscle Endurance and Power Hour and Boot camp (which I still have not been able to finish without stopping during some of the cardio :>)
But i keep trying.
I would like to get another workout using the barbells, since I just got one, but nothing too challenging yet.
Thank you....
Marsha

Hi Marsha.

I would probably go with The Pyramids or Slow and Heavy. You already have two great endurance workouts, so perhaps getting a strength workout is the way to go. You don't use a barbell in PUB, but you use it a lot (if you want to) in PLB. I find both workouts to be very effective at building muscle. S&H requires a lot of focus, however, and it tends to get a little boring for me if I do it more than two or three weeks. Also, check out the new gym style workouts that are due out soon. They use a barbell (plus dumbbells and bands) and look like they are going to be great. Note that any of these workouts can be as challenging as you want depending on the weight you choose to use.

Shelbygirl

Shelbygirl,
Thank you for the suggestions.
I was goging to check out the new gym style workouts, But i thought they would be more advanced.
Is there a write up about these yet?
THANKS AGAIN.
Marsha

I believe Cathe provides a description of the new workouts in the "Ask Cathe" forum. She did this a while ago, so you might have to search around a bit.

I don't think the new workouts will be too advanced. You can always use lighter weights than what Cathe uses, and you can modify any moves that you are not comfortable doing yet. I suggest keeping a log of all the exercises in each weight workout you have so that you can keep track of the weight you used. Start light, but if it seemed too easy for you, note that in your log and go a bit heavier next time.

Good Luck,
Shelbygirl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.