Substitution for Leaner Legs.

acnora

I am on the Cathe January Rotation Week 2 and I am supposed to do Leaner legs and Section 2 of CoreMax but I don't have Leaner Legs.
I have Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance,Super Sets, Push/Pull, Butts and Guts and PLB.

Can any of these be used as a substitute. On the Cathe.Com website, Leaner Legs is timed at 33mins and I was wondering can I just do a shorter version pre mix to one of the DVDs that I currently own?

Please Help
Charlene:eek:

Leaner Legs may be short, but it's known as Meaner Legs for a reason :eek:!
I'd suggest the Leg Blast premix on B&G as a sub. LL has no floorwork in it and neither does that B&G premix.

Good luck!

Another suggestion would be doing the lower body premix of Muscle Endurance. It's a slightly shorter workout than LL, but it's pretty tough with all of the high step leg presses (so my heartrate gets up doing it like it does in LL). When I'm pressed for time and want a leg workout, this is one I routinely choose. I think the premix is about 38 minutes long (I'm going based on memory) including the abs, which is a bit shorter than LL (if you add the legs and abs to LL, it is about 48 minutes long).

Thanks for the response ladies. I did not know that Leaner Legs was known as Meaner Legs..funny that was how I felt about B&G :)
I do agree with CLango that Muscle Endurance has a slight elevated heart rate edge to it. Because I fear B&G so much I guess I will do that one. Ever since Joelle got voted off of Biggest Loser I have a new level of inspiration to lose these 10 pounds (was at 212 now at 175 but would like to be 160ish).

Have a Great Night and Thanks again
Charlene

Don't fear B&G, acnora! It is a great workout and is, by far, my favorite leg and abs workout. If you fear it simply because it is too much for you, start more slowly than doing the whole thing at once. For instance, you can try doing the first round of standing legs (which I think will take you to about 20-25 minutes into the workout and ends with Cathe says 'back to walking lunges'... which is when I want to start yelling at her :) ) and then either skip to the floor section and/or abs section or straight to the stretch (whichever is best for you).

Maybe you can do that first half of the standing routine a couple/few times, and then you'll feel ready to add that second set of walking lunges. Then in a couple/few more times, you'll want to add the next set of deadlifts. And, eventually, you'll find yourself having gotten through the whole standing leg section AND the best thing is you will have been getting a killer workout along the way. I think of it this way--even if I can only do half of what Cathe is doing, I'm still getting a good workout!

Regarding the floor section, if the stability ball work is too much, skip those until you feel more comfortable and start with the hamstring work on the step. And if leg weights are too much, don't use them. And the same goes for the abs section. Don't use weight if that is too much. You are still going to see great results and build up the endurance so eventually you can add some resistance to the exercise.

Long story short, but I have suffered more than my fair share of physical injuries in my life (mostly non-fitness related) and once I was starting back (after a really bad back injury) with 30 minutes of low/no impact aerobics (which was a far cry from what I was used to with Cathe). I think I would have been pretty depressed at how far my level of fitness had dropped and how much I was going to need to work to get back to my Cathe workouts had this particular video instructor (Charlene Prickett) not said in the workout 'Do what you can because whatever you do is better for you than sitting on the sofa eating a bag of chips', and that's pretty much my motto when it comes to exercise anymore. I do what I can, and while somedays it may not be the whole thing, it sure as heck is better for me than eating a bag of chips! And doing what I could when I was ready to do it eventually got me back to working out with Cathe and doing some of her more challenging workouts.....like B&G. So take your time, know that what you are able to do is all good, and maybe you'll come to love this workout too!

Congratulation on the great weight loss!

You must have heard me groaning this morning while doing the Premix you suggested. It should be called the Walking Lunges Premix..I could not believe how many there were. i stopped the DVD several times to wipe the sweat stuff... OK to release the burn (you got me)...

What a workout, I can't even begin to imagine that Leaner Legs is worse. I finally finished way longer than the allotted 45 mins. But I know my body is changing..so work,work I say. and you are right as long as I keep moving I will get there. I have a tendency to be such an all or nothing person that now I have to take baby steps with Cathe, pause the DVD work out the burn and then get back on the proverbial horse and try to huff and puff my way to the end.

I got Legs &Glutes in the mail yesterday and that is scheduled for Week 4..I can only imagine what that DVD is like?

Anyhow, have a great weekend and thanks again for the info on the Substitution.

Charlene

Charlene,

Yeah, that premix is a doozie, isn't it? :confused: Don't feel bad about pausing, it's tough!

I prefer Leaner Legs because she uses deadlifts and calf raises as active rests after she fries your quads and glutes. It's just really well paced and structured, plus it's 37 min.

Legs & Glutes I think of as one of the "easier" LB workouts, but only because the music is so much fun! Cathe is super cute in this one--very happy and motivating.

Hi Charlene-

The standing work (first 1/2) of PLB would be a viable alternative to Leaner Legs. It has some of the same moves and also has little rest time between sets which is comparable to LL. Time wise, it might be a bit shorter, but should do the trick for ya.

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.