Substitute dumbells for barbell

JudySP

Cathlete
Hi Cathe -
I was thinking of ordering the Pure Strength series but in reading the descriptions I noticed that there are a few pieces of equipment that I don't have, namely a barbell and body bar. I do have a few different dumbells though and was wondering if I can substitute the dumbells for the barbell and body bar for most if not all of the exercise videos. The description for Chest, Shoulders & Triceps says you can substitute barbells for the dumbell but the other two videos, Back,Biceps & Abs and Strong Legs and Abs don't say anything about it. What do you think? I'd love to have the series for the flexibility of working different body parts a few times a week but I really don't want to buy any additional equipment now.

Thanks for all of your wonderful videos and for taking the time to read and respond to the messages in these forums.

Judy

Or maybe ankle weights

I just saw some of the video clips from the new tapes. For the inner thigh exercises with the body bar (at least the one on the sample) I think I could use ankle weights (which I have). What do you think?

Thanks!
Judy

Substituting Dumbells

Yes, you can subtitute dumbells for almost all of the exercises. In the Back, Bicep Ab tape you may have a problem with the T-Bar row using dumbells so I would suggest doing extra sets of our other back exercises in place of this. Next you will see a bent over barbell row. Just hold dumbells in the same position that we are holding the barbell and that will be fine. Most of the other exercises in this tape will use dumbells so your set there. As for the Strong Legs tape, many of the exercises will use dumbells. However, when we use a barbell(or body bar in alternating plie squats) you can simply hold your dumbells down at your sides or up at your shoulders(whatever is most comfortable). For Quarter Dead Lifts you can take one very heavy dumbell and lower down in the same way that we are with our barbells. And as I mentioned to you in your other post, you can substitute ankle weights for the floorwork in place of the bodybar. Go for it!

Great - now if I buy more equipment...

Cathe -
Thanks for your response. I'm definitely going to order the Pure Strength series.

I currently have 3 and 5 pound dumbells at home and think I'm getting to the point where I need to go out and get 8 pounders somewhat soon. At that point I'd like to at least "window shop" for a barbell although I don't know when I'll be able to get it (maybe for my birthday in March???). What would you recommend (either brand or style) and with what kind of weight?

Thanks again,
Judy

Barbell

I have been told that Sports Authority sporting good store has a great package deal on a barbell with adjustable weights that go up to 110 pounds for only 40$. That is a great deal! If you buy everything separately, try to get a four or five foot barbell(five foot is easier to find)because the six foot ones are akward. There is no special brand that I recommend. One thing that I do highly recommend is a bar pad(to protect your back from the weighted bar resting on it for longer periods of time)which you can find at most sporting good stores for about 12$. I heard that some people have gone to a hardware store and bought pipe insulation(similar looking product)for a lot cheaper. Good Luck!

Or you can probably use dumbbells

I find that using ankle weights are awkward. I plan to try placing a dumbbell on my leg when doing the floor leg work.

Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.