STS VERSUS P90X

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
Hey all!

I was going to buy the P9OX series, but decided to invest in STS instead.

I know it is very early in the STS production, but does anybody have any prelimimary thoughts on STS versys P9OX.

Cheers!

Amy

I just made the same decision. I have been thinking about P90X for a while but I know I like Cathe's workouts so decided to invest in the STS series instead. I KNOW I will use these and not just leave them on a shelf.

Congrats on your purchase. I just read P90X, and the STS presale info again. I think I am actually going to wait for the STS Gym on MP3 to come out. Hopefully it will be cheaper.

I'm still trying to make up my mind. I was going to buy P90X but now I'm thinking about STS. I'm not sure I'm in shape enough for STS though. Still trying to get back in shape after baby.

Farrah

You know, I think if it were solely a matter of questioning whether i was in shape or not, I'd order it. You can get use out of tapes that are more advanced than you are, but not the other way around. And what the regular prices will be......egads!

Hello,

Just wanted to give you my two cents since I recently got P90X. I plan on getting STS simply because I like Cathe better, her personality and her cueing. P90X is very intense and is a huge commitment. I am in phase two right now and have lost a total of 10 inches since starting P90X and am down in weight from when I first started, although not by a ton with the holidays. To me I think Cathe would be better because it is only three days a week whereas P90 is a six day per week commitment. I don't feel bad about having both even though they are based on the same principle because the X was birthday present.
I think these two programs will be vastly different in both their styles of production as well as things such as exercises. I feel that there is a lot more guidance and support with Cathe and SNM about nutrition.
good luck, you know you want it, get it!

nkuangel

I have done 3 rounds of P90X and recently started P90X+.... I am definitely getting STS. I have made tremendous gains with P90X but I am really interested in STS because the workout manager and calculation of correct weight to use based on 1RM is really tailor made to each individual.

My advise is wait for STS since it affords more individuality and less time commitment

P90X is a huge commitment. I have tried P90X twice and only made it through 6-8 weeks. It got boring and I just got tired of Tony. I bought P90X+ and did a week and stopped. Not sure if I can take Tony everyday again.

I am thinking about getting STS because it gives you the option of doing cardio with a different person if you want to. You are weight training 3 days a week, which is my preference and 3 days cardio.

Rhonda

>I'm still trying to make up my mind. I was going to buy P90X
>but now I'm thinking about STS. I'm not sure I'm in shape
>enough for STS though. Still trying to get back in shape
>after baby.
>
>
>Farrah
It is usually a LONG time from preorder to getting the finished product in your hands so if being "out of shape" is your only concern order it. You will probably have more than enough time to get into better shape by the time STS gets here!

Angela:7

>It is usually a LONG time from preorder to getting the
>finished product in your hands so if being "out of shape" is
>your only concern order it. You will probably have more than
>enough time to get into better shape by the time STS gets
>here!

Especially with this series (and 30+ DVD's), I think the time between first shooting (mid Feb) and delivery will be quite long. Definitely long enough to get in a P90X rotation (and maybe more than one!)

P90X is a known, while STS sounds good, but is still not even filmed.

I'm with you Rhonda. It's not so much the commitment....it's the commitment to too many days of Tony Horton which would lead to my committing a crime and a commitment to mental institution.

That is so funny, is Tony that hard to bare? Is he really that bad? I have a hard time purchasing anything not Cathe, I have tried others in the past, and have just given them away. I definately won't spend the money on P90X if this guy is going to drive me nuts. I am just going to forget about the STS series and P90X for a while, I am driving myself nuts.

I just bought P90X right before the holidays. Haven't started it yet, but plan to at the end of this month. Using Cathe until then. I wish I had known this presale was so imminent, as I probably would have waited and gotten STS instead. Now I'm not sure - $200 is a lot, plus 37 discs. I guess I'm figuring that it will take quite a while before STS is ready, so the presale will be on for a while. I'll have to decide later if I want to order it. I do think I would like Cathe better than Tony Horton, but the variety is nice, too. Plus, realistically, how many DVDs do I need that are so similar. We'll see. Once I've done P90X for a while and decide how I feel about it, I decide what to do about STS. Maybe I sell P90X and get STS, maybe I skip STS altogether. I just don't know yet.

I've heard Beachbody's customer service can be a problematic, but isn't there a 30 day return policy on P90X? If you really want to get STS, I wonder if you can just return p90x?

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Hi,
I have p90x and I'm really satisfied, it is nice, very challenge and have new exerises, and I like the way in wich Tony work. however I'm thinking about the STS even if the cost is high I think that Cathe is a must have.
Ciao
Chiara

I was thinking of that, but I need to preview the rest of the discs first. I do like that fact that it has the Plyo, Yoga, Core and Kenpo workouts in it. So much to think about - ack!

I have Tony Horton's Power 90 Advanced series and I never use them anymore. When I did, I would turn the sound off so I didn't have to listen to him. I was interested in P90X, but won't buy it because he is so annoying!

Clearly, some people can't stand Tony. :) But I love him and am a HUGE X fan - and I know I'm not in a minority. I love Cathe, but she's got a VERY tall bar to go against if folks are going to compare STS to P90X. I don't know that it's possible to outdo Tony & the X. Although being 2nd to market has its advantages - she can learn from the X. :)

I doubt once the STS is out you could really compare them.....

IMO P90X is REALLY lacking in the leg work department and the cardio got SUPER boring - so I change out the cardio when I want with a similar style - like Kenpo X for Kickbox of Cathe - ect....

I personally feel having both of them will be excellent! You can do STS for 90 days and then P90X for 90 days and then maybe take a four week break and do a yoga and running rotation and then back into the strength rotations -

I just know Cathe puts out the best productions, so I am buying it tomorrow on payday. Granted I have to do the $70 installments bc I just bought P90X plus and my hubby will not be happy if he sees another large purchase.

Even though the 3 days a week is weight training you probably will still have to be dedicated to at least another two days of cardio and maybe one of yoga bc its good for overall balance in a rotation but I am sure Cathe will provide plenty of options there.....plus I thought she was eventually coming out with a Cardio STS - so I assume you will be intermixing those two eventually - something to continually build upon.

and Cathe said STS is based on how she lifts and we always ask her for HER own rotations - well I bet this is what she is giving us

}( }( }( }( }(

Hi all,
I have P90X also and based on my experience with the program and the described STS program, the two are very different. P90X is a prescribed program of aerobics(including kickbox and plyometrics), strength training, and flexibility that is time consuming. Tony recommends that you follow the plan and not mix and match other workouts with this program. Therefore, it does get boring after a while and I feel that I got used to the routine after several weeks. My muscles ceased to be shocked after a while.

The program is tough but IMO primarily because of the regimented time commitment/week and the number of weeks on the program. I think Cathe's cardio is much tougher and as far as the strength training goes, I think Cathe is better because of the variety of training ie. slow and heavy, endurance, total body, circuit or split routine and the variety of exercises for each body part. With the exception of the push-ups and ab work in P90x, I found most (not all) of the strength training moves to be insufficient and with not enough reps. The leg work for example is easy if you are used to Cathe and not much weight is used. I did get ideas for new exercises from this program however and incorporate them into my workouts.
What p90x does, is put a master rotation together for you that incorporates strength training, aerobics and flexibility training.If you follow p90x you will shape up, lose weight and get more fit because of this and because of how much time you are exercising/week.I think its important to have a balanced blend of cardio and strenght and flexibility training.

I prefer Cathe and I put my own rotations together each week that I stick to religiously that includes aerobics, weights and flexibility. I have more variety to pick from and I feel my muscle strength and definition are better with cathe as opposed to P90x because of the all reasons I listed above. I think the STS program will be great and will provide some shock value to my muscles and I pre-ordered it.

Cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.