STS

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
I was thinking about breaking down and buying the STS series at the end of the summer. What is the heaviest weight I should have? The max I have are 20 pound dumbells at home; I'm probably going to have to break down and buy a barbell w/plates.

Also, where can I even buy a barbell & plates? Would sporting goods stores carry those?

Yes, you can get them at a sporting goods store.

I know sometimes Cathe goes as high as 35-50 pounds on her vids, but you should get what's right for you. You can always add plates as you get stronger!:)

I think she means 35 on each end of the barbell.

Also see if you have a 'play it again sports' in your area. They usually have barbell sets for a really good price.

Everyone is different with what they use for weights... Which is the beautiful thing about testing for 1RM - I range from 7.5 lbs for side lateral raises (shoulder surgery less than a year ago, so still not up to par on those) to 40 lb. dumbbells for Meso 2 legs (doing first Meso 2 leg workout today) for squats and 45 for deadlifts... so it all depends on your current strength level.

I just received STS, and I needed heavier weights. I bought them yesterday at Sports Authority, I got cast iron dumbells, 15lb, 20lb, and 25lb for about $120. I hadn't planned to do it, but they were 20% off and I had spent teh day looking on line for a deal and these were the best pricing I found.
Amazon wanted $85 for 2 35lb weights.
Hope that helps. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.